cheap mid feb sunny cycling reqd...

Mark Parsons

Guest
i'm going to try to get abroad mid feb to put a few miles (k's?!) in and burn off some of the winter
flab. warm and sunny would be ideal, but anything in the 15'-20' range would be nice. has to be
cheap though. i'm thinking about majorca (obviously), but wandering about other parts of spain as
well. thinking of possibly getting a cheap flight out and sorting cheap accomodation beforehand
(note emphasis on cheap!) any suggestions... TIA mark

In article <BA58D974.2A3AD%[email protected]>,
mark parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
> i'm thinking about majorca (obviously), but wandering about other parts of spain as well.
> thinking of possibly getting a cheap flight out and sorting cheap accomodation beforehand (note
> emphasis on cheap!)

Why not just cycle to Spain and back - saves the flight:)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village

"mark parsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA58D974.2A3AD%[email protected]...
> i'm going to try to get abroad mid feb to put a few miles (k's?!) in and burn off some of the
> winter flab. warm and sunny would be ideal, but anything in the 15'-20' range would be nice. has
> to be cheap though. i'm thinking about majorca (obviously), but wandering about other parts of
spain
> as well. thinking of possibly getting a cheap flight out and sorting cheap accomodation beforehand
> (note emphasis on cheap!) any suggestions...

Easyjet to Malaga??

"mark parsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA58D974.2A3AD%[email protected]...
> i'm going to try to get abroad mid feb to put a few miles (k's?!) in and burn off some of the
> winter flab. warm and sunny would be ideal, but anything in the 15'-20' range would be nice. has
> to be cheap though. i'm thinking about majorca (obviously), but wandering about other parts of
spain
> as well. thinking of possibly getting a cheap flight out and sorting cheap accomodation beforehand
> (note emphasis on cheap!)

The Côte d'Azur will be nice and warm by then (in fact it already is! I live here!). Easyjet to Nice
is very cheap at that time of year. If you look a few weeks back in Google, I gave some tips to
somebody else who was thinking of coming here.

>> i'm going to try to get abroad mid feb to put a few miles (k's?!) in and burn off some of the
>> winter flab. warm and sunny would be ideal, but anything in the 15'-20' range would be nice. has
>> to be cheap though. i'm thinking about majorca (obviously), but wandering about other parts of
> spain
>> as well. thinking of possibly getting a cheap flight out and sorting cheap accomodation
>> beforehand (note emphasis on cheap!) any suggestions...
>

> Easyjet to Malaga??

im considering the budget airline options, but trying to find info on cheapish accommodation
is proving tricky. im also a little nieve on the quality of cycling in areas close to the
bargain airports, ie i dont want lots of main roads and need a lot of flat due too knee
problems when climbing.

i would cycle there from the uk but my bike doesnt have rack mounts (add far too much weight ;-)

>> Easyjet to Malaga??

Alpujarras inland from Malaga is excellent cycling country, but these are the foothills below the
sierras which is ski land. Will it be warm enough in mid Feb.

How about Lanzarote, isnt that where the cycling and other teams go for training. You dont need
their expensive venues.

"Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> How about Lanzarote, isnt that where the cycling and other teams go for training. You dont need
> their expensive venues.

There's recently been a long thread on de.rec.fahrrad comparing various sunny locations. Lanzarote
was favoured because of the weather (better than Mallorca) and the good local drivers (used to
plenty of cyclists). Cycle hire is relatively expensive, though this might not be a factor for you.
Otherwise Mallorca seems to be the place. I understand that the terrain is very varied with
something for everyone. I once had a conversation with a German who was wildly enthusiastic about
it. He said that the hotels are very cheap out of season and provide plenty of food.