Cheap muni, or decent wheel?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by semach.the.monkey, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. Ok, guys, I'm looking at two options to get me a muni on a budget of
    around £150ish, and would appreciate your comments and advice.

    Option 1 - Entry level muni, such as the Numbus 24" muni from
    unicycle.com for £160.

    Option 2 - Use my existing 29" Nimbus frame, saddle and pedals, and buy
    a 24" wheel with splined hub (http://tinyurl.com/fzu3x. I then have
    the option to upgrade to a suitable size frame at a later date.

    Whist I'm happy to admit that my muni skills won't currently challenge
    a non-splined hub, if I plan on doing more of this, then I'm eventually
    going to need something a bit stronger. So, I'm a bit worried that
    option 1 is only a short term fix that'll be wasted money in a year or
    two.

    However, I can also imaine that a 24" wheel in a 29" frame is going to
    look more than just a bit odd. But, apart from the look, would there
    be anything else wrong with this approach? Would it work? Am I
    limited which hubs will fit the Nimbus frame?

    Cheers

    STM

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

  2. Sorry I can't help with the pricing and stuff, I don't know much about
    UK money and prices. :eek:

    Apart from having a looks, a 29" frame would be heavier than a 24", and
    might get in your way more, seems like you would hit your knees on it a
    lot, I'm not sure...

    I'd reccomend getting another uni if you can, that way you'll have two
    different sizes at once. If you don't, you'll just end up[ buying
    another sooner or later! Check out the Qu-Ax cross, it's a good
    non-splined muni.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
    (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*jonny peacock is a
    man

    For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
    http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    My philosophy is to splurge on the wheel and skimp on the frame. In
    other words, the frame is the last place you should put money in. The
    wheel and the seat are more important. It is also pretty much the
    wheel and cranks that define the muni. The frame is just there to hold
    it all together.

    So I'd go for the strong wheel in your existing 29er frame. Roger or
    someone else at Unicycle.com would know if it will all fit so give them
    a call or email before ordering.

    Even if you aren't doing big drops or other abusive riding, a splined
    crank is still very much a benefit. For one the splined cranks will
    stay tight and you won't have to worry about having a crank fall off in
    the middle of a ride. It's a much more reliable setup.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

  4. for cheap and god torker dx is the way to go

    --
    skianduniaddict

    number1 under 15 skiier in the united states
    ski sugarloaf uni bradbury
    my cat bob ate four kids;)
    i regret the day i threw a snowball at randy johnson
    skianduniaddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11868

  5. john_childs wrote:
    > My philosophy is to splurge on the wheel and skimp on the frame. In
    > other words, the frame is the last place you should put money in. The
    > wheel and the seat are more important. It is also pretty much the
    > wheel and cranks that define the muni. The frame is just there to hold
    > it all together.

    Thank all for the replies. John's reply pretty much confirms what I
    wanted to hear, so I'll be chucking some of my hard earned towards
    Roger in the near future.

    Now... do I go for the white rim or the black rim? :confused:

    Cheers

    STM

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

  6. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    the rim is completely up to you...but i woudl say black if you wanna do
    muni cuz white would be a waste i think.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    [image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  7. If I get a black rim, I'll never wash or clean the uni. But if I had a
    white one then... Ummm... Well, I'd probably still never wash it, but
    I'd feel guilty about it every time I looked at it!

    STM

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

  8. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    if theres one thing a muni is suppose to be its dirty! its not a muni
    until its got a nice thick coat of mud on it without that its just a
    beefy 24" if you keep it too clean your gonna give your muni a complex,
    hes not gonna kno who he is!

    --

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  9. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Look in the trading post, a friend of mine (Halfrubbish) is selling a
    24" Muni on ebay for sensible money that is splined and genreally
    tasty, and will do you better than either of your other options.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  10. Oooh, ta for the tip off. Ebay checked, and bid placed :)

    Although it's got a white rim though. I've heard that if it's got a
    white rim, and I keep it clean, then it's not going to know what kind
    of uni it's supposed to be! :)

    STM

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

  11. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    its not just with a white rim its with anyrim...a clean muni is a sad
    muni.

    --

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR