Cheap muni, or decent wheel?

semach.the.monkey

Guest
Ok, guys, I'm looking at two options to get me a muni on a budget of
around £150ish, and would appreciate your comments and advice.

Option 1 - Entry level muni, such as the Numbus 24" muni from
unicycle.com for £160.

Option 2 - Use my existing 29" Nimbus frame, saddle and pedals, and buy
a 24" wheel with splined hub (http://tinyurl.com/fzu3x. I then have
the option to upgrade to a suitable size frame at a later date.

Whist I'm happy to admit that my muni skills won't currently challenge
a non-splined hub, if I plan on doing more of this, then I'm eventually
going to need something a bit stronger. So, I'm a bit worried that
option 1 is only a short term fix that'll be wasted money in a year or
two.

However, I can also imaine that a 24" wheel in a 29" frame is going to
look more than just a bit odd. But, apart from the look, would there
be anything else wrong with this approach? Would it work? Am I
limited which hubs will fit the Nimbus frame?

Cheers

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

Sorry I can't help with the pricing and stuff, I don't know much about
UK money and prices. :eek:

Apart from having a looks, a 29" frame would be heavier than a 24", and
might get in your way more, seems like you would hit your knees on it a
lot, I'm not sure...

I'd reccomend getting another uni if you can, that way you'll have two
different sizes at once. If you don't, you'll just end up[ buying
another sooner or later! Check out the Qu-Ax cross, it's a good
non-splined muni.

--
forrestunifreak

Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*jonny peacock is a
man

For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

My philosophy is to splurge on the wheel and skimp on the frame. In
other words, the frame is the last place you should put money in. The
wheel and the seat are more important. It is also pretty much the
wheel and cranks that define the muni. The frame is just there to hold
it all together.

So I'd go for the strong wheel in your existing 29er frame. Roger or
someone else at Unicycle.com would know if it will all fit so give them
a call or email before ordering.

Even if you aren't doing big drops or other abusive riding, a splined
crank is still very much a benefit. For one the splined cranks will
stay tight and you won't have to worry about having a crank fall off in
the middle of a ride. It's a much more reliable setup.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

john_childs wrote:
> My philosophy is to splurge on the wheel and skimp on the frame. In
> other words, the frame is the last place you should put money in. The
> wheel and the seat are more important. It is also pretty much the
> wheel and cranks that define the muni. The frame is just there to hold
> it all together.

Thank all for the replies. John's reply pretty much confirms what I
wanted to hear, so I'll be chucking some of my hard earned towards
Roger in the near future.

Now... do I go for the white rim or the black rim? :confused:

Cheers

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

the rim is completely up to you...but i woudl say black if you wanna do
muni cuz white would be a waste i think.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
[image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

if theres one thing a muni is suppose to be its dirty! its not a muni
until its got a nice thick coat of mud on it without that its just a
beefy 24" if you keep it too clean your gonna give your muni a complex,
hes not gonna kno who he is!

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Look in the trading post, a friend of mine (Halfrubbish) is selling a
24" Muni on ebay for sensible money that is splined and genreally
tasty, and will do you better than either of your other options.

--
kington99

Dave

Oooh, ta for the tip off. Ebay checked, and bid placed :)

Although it's got a white rim though. I've heard that if it's got a
white rim, and I keep it clean, then it's not going to know what kind
of uni it's supposed to be! :)

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

its not just with a white rim its with anyrim...a clean muni is a sad
muni.

--

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR