Cheap online bike part stores in Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by drifter03, Jul 21, 2004.

1. drifter03

drifter03 New Member

Hello there,

Does anyone now of any trusted cheap online stores for bike pedals etc, besides deans wood direct, ebay or cecil walker. Most seems to be almost the same price by the time you add postage...

Cheers
    J
    :rolleyes:

Tags:

2. jjb_13

jjb_13 New Member

You might try S Deals , www.sdeals.com, in the UK. Limited inventory but the pricing is pretty good

3. luke1972

luke1972 New Member

www.parker-international.co.uk in the UK you get the goods tax free (17.5% less than the advertised price if you are an export customer). I have used them for 10 years. Use them for parts.

www.probikekit.com in the UK for clothing (just started using them, some of the clothes are crap, but tyres are a good deal AUD$15 postage to Australia at the moment). Same deal of tax free.

In Australia try www.bikepro.com.au

4. drifter03

drifter03 New Member

thanks heaps luke...probikekit tis a bargain! :)

5. luke1972

luke1972 New Member

Just got some cheap tyres from them. Ordered Monday they arrived next Monday so quick delivery.

NOte you may have to pay import duty. I think if you order below $200 you will not pay duty (any one know?).

I bought some long knicks (blue with free pair of socks) and thermal T shirts, they are of a poor quality, so beware when buying clothing.

6. monolith

monolith New Member

lots and lots of bike shops listed here

http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/shops.html

7. drifter03

drifter03 New Member

8. dorkpants

dorkpants New Member

9. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

www.jensonusa.com has a great range and great prices, although you cannot avoid the californian 8% sales tax, which is not contained in the listed prices. Ideally, if you were buying something expensive, you would have it brought to you by someone travelling from the US to avoid import duty (not that I would ever do this, of course :)). Is the threshold A$200?

10. rek

rek New Member

I have dealt with the following stores without hassles and with success:

www.probikekit.com (UK based) for cheap tyres and some odds and ends. Agree with the clothing, some is excellent (name brand Nalini stuff), some is so-so. Their cheapy cycling knicks seem fine for me though. Delivery is quick, rarely more than a week.

www.icyclesusa.com (USA based) for random stuff -- these guys are like a nic-nacs store for bikes. Fun to browse :) Delivery is slow, takes about a month.

www.groundzero.co.nz (NZ based) for Blackspire chainrings. Delivery is 1-1.5 weeks.

www.cecilwalker.com.au (Vic based) for misc. bike stuff. Shipping costs? Well, I work just a city block away from them so .. ;)

www.phantomcycles.com.au (NSW based) for more misc. bike stuff -- has some great closeout deals on stuff now and again. Lightning fast (next day in most cases) shipping with package tracking, and excellent service/advice through email.

Places I'll be checking out soon/am in the middle of an order with:

www.torpedo7.com (NZ based) for misc. MTB stuff -- cheap chains and disc brake pads.

www.bikepro.com.au (Vic based) for misc. stuff

On a less happy note: don't bother with Performance Bike or Bike Nashbar (both US based.) They are woefully ill-equipped for handling international orders, and require credit card verification techniques our local privacy laws forbid. Then when you send them an international money order, they just refund the money 2 months later, minus the shipping charges for stuff they never sent! :mad:

As for the import duty/GST question. The answers I've gleaned from reading the customs site and hearing many overseas ordering experiences from others, is as follows:

if it is being shipped by a courier, the limit is AU$250.
    if it is being shipped by post (i.e. USPS/Royal Mail) the limit is AU$1000.

11. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I've had to pay duty on something worth A$450 in 1999; has the rule changed?

12. drifter03

drifter03 New Member

Just checked out probikekit...sem to have worthwhile discount on clothing at the mo with the lower shippin rates....don't ever seem to have small jersey in stock but :mad:

13. rek

rek New Member

I'm not sure, I sometimes think that there is no actual hard and fast ruling on this ..

I did once have an order of about $650 but it was through Performance Bike, and never ended up happening :mad: So can't say definitively if it would have attracted duty or not, albeit being shipped USPS.

Out of paranoia I tend to try and cap orders at about $250 no matter what. :)

14. 100%

100% New Member

www.100percentcycles.com.au

Rewards program makes it cheap in future purchases. Members benefit goes into an account for you to spend next time you make a purchase or just put towards a larger purchase.

15. superclimber

superclimber New Member

anyone know if probikekit and parker international send by post or cargo(sea or air)?? or royal mail. In Australian customs this is the difference between a $200 limit ( air/sea cargo) or $1000 limit for standard postal items.

16. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

17. superclimber

superclimber New Member

what is their postage and handling like. any import duties and tax???. The USA has crap postage laws where you almost pay as much for th3e postage as you do for the goods so why bother. I'm interested to know as these overseas online bike storesw seem too good to be true. cheers.

18. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

19. xbgs351

xbgs351 New Member

http://www.hendrycycles.com.au/

Cheapest bike parts I have come across. Give them a call and they can give you a price. They don't charge freight. Very knowledgable.

20. greenmig

greenmig New Member

well i am amazed by what is on sale on ebay. just checkout www.ebay.com & type in cycling & just follow the links down to what you want. i have bought a polar HRM & new sidi energy shoes recently...both for bout half price what you pay in oz....just email the seller & feel comfrotable...also buy off powersellers and guys with heaps of sales & positive replies...ebay.com...the only way to go imo...my next buy will prolly be a set of mavic ksyrium sl's or maybe lances new wheel - the bontrager :)....also http://www.totalcycling.com/ seem pretty good too.