Cheap online source for halogen bike bulbs

I'm looking for a 15w bulb (glass fronted) to replace my niterider lamp
in my digital pro 6 head. NR charges over $20, hoping to pay less than
half of that. I've found cheap 10 and 20w bulbs online but not the 15.

--Brian

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm looking for a 15w bulb (glass fronted) to replace my niterider lamp
> in my digital pro 6 head. NR charges over $20, hoping to pay less than
> half of that. I've found cheap 10 and 20w bulbs online but not the 15.

IME, non-bike-specific halogen bulbs have a much broader
beam pattern than the bike specific ones, even when rated
"spot," and are not as good for use in headlights.

The Nite Rider bulbs I've had also have a heat shield or
dissipator on the back (an extra metal piece) and so are not
exactly the same length or functionality as a plain old MR-11
halogen bulb.

On 12 Sep 2006 14:03:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I'm looking for a 15w bulb (glass fronted) to replace my niterider lamp
>in my digital pro 6 head. NR charges over $20, hoping to pay less than
>half of that. I've found cheap 10 and 20w bulbs online but not the 15.

Try batteryspace.com they have a variety of lamps and bike lighting hardware at
real good prices.

Ron

> IME, non-bike-specific halogen bulbs have a much broader
> beam pattern than the bike specific ones, even when rated
> "spot," and are not as good for use in headlights.
>
> The Nite Rider bulbs I've had also have a heat shield or
> dissipator on the back (an extra metal piece) and so are not
> exactly the same length or functionality as a plain old MR-11
> halogen bulb.

The orig NR bulb has a 10 degree spread. I found 20w MR 11's with a 12
degree spread for a MR 11 spot. Not too different, though I don't know
what the quality of light will be. You're right about the heat shield.
Its attached with clear silicone caulk. IT can be removed and re-glued.

--Brian

> Try batteryspace.com they have a variety of lamps and bike lighting hardware at
> real good prices.
>
> Ron

Thanks Ron, I found them today. They're great, though they don't carry
the 15 watt halogen. I'm not sure what putting a 20 watt bulb in the
light head will do, since there is a circuit board inside my light head
that lets me control the wattage going to the bulb (5, 10 and 15w).

--Brian

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 12 Sep 2006 14:03:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a 15w bulb (glass fronted) to replace my niterider lamp
>>in my digital pro 6 head. NR charges over $20, hoping to pay less than
>>half of that. I've found cheap 10 and 20w bulbs online but not the 15.

> Try batteryspace.com they have a variety of lamps and bike lighting
> hardware at
> real good prices.
>
> Ron

Try http://www.1000bulbs.com/
If they don't have it probably no one else does either.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:48:51 -0700, gobrigo wrote:

>> IME, non-bike-specific halogen bulbs have a much broader beam pattern
>> than the bike specific ones, even when rated "spot," and are not as
>> good for use in headlights.
>>
>> The Nite Rider bulbs I've had also have a heat shield or dissipator on
>> the back (an extra metal piece) and so are not exactly the same length
>> or functionality as a plain old MR-11 halogen bulb.

> The orig NR bulb has a 10 degree spread. I found 20w MR 11's with a 12
> degree spread for a MR 11 spot. Not too different, though I don't know
> what the quality of light will be. You're right about the heat shield.
> Its attached with clear silicone caulk. IT can be removed and re-glued.

Be careful with this. Bike light companies, especially the larger ones
like Niterider, have bulbs produced to a spec. They differ from generic
bulbs in brightness, beam pattern, and quality control. With a generic
bulb you're likely to get a beam that's not as bright, is too wide or too
narrow, and uneven, with annoying light and dark spots. The specs given
for generic bulbs are only nominal -- bulbs of the same spec vary among
manufacturers, and even among bulbs from the same batch. Also, I'm sure
the heatsink Niterider puts on their own bulbs is there for a reason.

Heatsinks aside, there's no reason not to try a generic bulb, but don't be
surprised if it doesn't perform as you expect; and the "cheaper"
price you paid for it (plus shipping) turns out to be money down the
drain. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the more expensive one.

Matt O.