cheap racer-tyres for all-weather commuting

aardvark

Dec 1, 2004
Hi, sorry if this is continually asked. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a cheap road tyre for speedy commuting (700 x 23). My bike is actually a hybrid but I got fed up with the speed limitations and changed the wheels to racing wheels. Im looking for something all-weather thats pretty puncture proof.

I wouldnt bother asking but the choice is so overwhelming and jargon is so baffling that Im scared to make a choice. I bought Michelin Transworld but they are too sluggish and puncture friendly.

Really Im looking for something cheap that a racer would use for all weather (thats puncture proof too).

What sort of criteria do people use to choose a decent cheap puncture- proof all-weather road tire ?

Thanks.

aardvark said:
Hi, sorry if this is continually asked. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a cheap road tyre for speedy commuting (700 x 23). My bike is actually a hybrid but I got fed up with the speed limitations and changed the wheels to racing wheels. Im looking for something all-weather thats pretty puncture proof.

I wouldnt bother asking but the choice is so overwhelming and jargon is so baffling that Im scared to make a choice. I bought Michelin Transworld but they are too sluggish and puncture friendly.

Really Im looking for something cheap that a racer would use for all weather (thats puncture proof too).

What sort of criteria do people use to choose a decent cheap puncture- proof all-weather road tire ?

Thanks.

I wouldn't race in them but for puncture resistant commuting, I like the Vittoria rubino's with wire bead and Kevlar for $25 each. I have never had a flat with these...knocking on wood profusely...

Here they are:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=4306&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Thanks Jitteringjr

Funnily enough I have been looking around and thats what I decided on. I also ended up putting my old Kevlar 28s back on and when I looked they were Vittoria (they have been great and still good for tread).

The other I was looking at was the Michelin Erilium but I think I will go for the Rubino. I had a Michelin Dynamic on the front wheel but its just a bit too flimsy for my style of "commuting".

Thanks again

I'd throw out "cheap" as a criteria, as I believe you'll find that a good tire is well worth the money in terms of ride, grip, puncture resistance, performance and long life.

Also, from my view, tires are the most important safety item on the bike. I do a lot of high-speed descents, and the last thing I want to worry about at 40-50 mph is how my tires will hold up or grip the corners. Tires that are round, well-balanced and that go on the rim straight are a real plus for high speeds.

I've had excellent service (long life and no punctures) from Continental GP 3000, but poor luck with Vittoria Twin Tread and the various Michelin slicks. For fast commuting, suggest you try the Conti Four Seasons. You won't see them on sale or closeouts very often, and I believe there is a reason for that. There are probably other tires out there as good or better that I'm not familar with.

Try the Specialized Armadillo tyres. I swapped them over from the standard Mondo tyres on my Specialized Allez and they seem to run well with being punture resistant aswell.

Powerful Pete said:
My vote also goes to Vittoria Rubinho Pros.

My vote goes to them as well. Have been flat free all year with them. even picked a piece of glass out of them last week that didnt make it all the way through.