Cheap Recumbants ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Emg Goodsin, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Emg Goodsin

    Emg Goodsin Guest

    Hi,

    Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i
    dont like it!!

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    EMG Goodsin must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    > like it!!
    >

    > thanks

    I am selling the following.

    Challenge Wizard, OSS Recumbent, SWB, Nuclear green, Deore LX front and rear deraileur, 27 speed,
    Deor LX front and rear hubs, Deore push pull gear selection, high profile alluminium rims, Magura
    hydraulic rim brakes, rear suspension, rack, Cytek C10 computer, excellent condition, bad knee so
    switching to trike. Excellent machine for commuting/touring. £895 ovno.

    I am in Kent.

    Ian

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    EMG Goodsin wrote:

    > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spen=
    > 1000's and find i dont like it!!

    For cheap, I'm afraid it's second hand or resorting to a life of crime.=20 But some bargains do show
    up second hand: my first one was an ex-demo=20 Orbit Crystal which I got for =A3250.

    The main recumbent dealers (futurecycles, as Velvet mentions, Bikefix=20 (http://www.bikefix.co.uk)
    and London Recumbents=20 (http://www.londonrecumbents.co.uk/) in London, D-Tek in Cambridge (no=20
    website at present) and Kinetics (http://kinetics.org.uk/) in Glasgow=20 will all let you play on
    demonstrators, which is a Good Thing.=20 Generally, these sessions will tell you within minutes if
    you Really=20 Must Have One, but otherwise is probably not long enough to convince you =

    if you're not immediately sure (for example, most people assume=20 visibility in heavy traffic will
    haunt them, but until you're completely =

    happy with the balance, which may take at least a day or two on some=20 models for some people,
    you're unlikely to want to venture into heavy=20 traffic to find out...). But it's certainly better
    than nothing, and if =

    you *are* immediately beamed straight up to Grin Factor 9 then you know=20 you can spend your cash
    fairly safely.

    The other good thing about the dealers is they have a selection, which=20 IMHO is very important.
    Though people use the term "recumbent" to=20 denote a class of bike, it's not really that helpful a
    term. Mine, a=20 tourer, has far more in common with something like a Dawes Super Galaxy=20 than it
    does with a Baron Lowracer recumbent when it comes to use and=20 application, for example. This is
    worth considering when looking at=20 second hand ones too: ask yourself *why* you might want a
    'bent, so for=20 example if it's to go screamingly fast then a BikeE or similar would be=20 a total
    waste of your money (you could go a lot faster than a BikeE on a =

    much cheaper upright racer). As with uprights, there are tourers,=20 racers, urban bikes, folders
    and all shades in between, so don't just=20 look for "a recumbent", look for a recumbent that does
    specifically what =

    your particular job requires of it.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB220BBE.790F%[email protected]...
    > EMG Goodsin must be edykated coz e writed:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    > > like it!!
    > >

    > > thanks
    > >

    > I am selling the following.
    >
    > Challenge Wizard, OSS Recumbent, SWB, Nuclear green, Deore LX front and
    rear
    > deraileur, 27 speed, Deor LX front and rear hubs, Deore push pull gear selection, high profile
    > alluminium rims, Magura hydraulic rim brakes, rear suspension, rack, Cytek C10 computer, excellent
    > condition, bad knee so switching to trike. Excellent machine for commuting/touring. £895 ovno.
    >
    > I am in Kent.
    >
    > Ian

    Could also think about hiring one for a few hours to see how you get on with
    it. Try speaking to FutureCycles - www.futurecycles.co.uk I believe - they're on the A22, south of
    East Grinstead, in Forest Row - I think that's

    and s/hand, and thought I've seen them advertise a quick lesson then take a hired one out for an
    afternoon to see how you get on with it.

    Having said that, their website isn't reachable for me, and I've not been down there for a few
    months, but they didn't particularly look/sound like they might be going out of business when I was.

    Velvet

  5. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Not a recumbent owner but pondering.Tried a few at York Rally from ICE .(
    http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html )

    Sam Salt

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... EMG
    Goodsin wrote:

    > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    > like it!!

    For cheap, I'm afraid it's second hand or resorting to a life of crime. But some bargains do show up
    second hand: my first one was an ex-demo Orbit Crystal which I got for £250.

    The main recumbent dealers (futurecycles, as Velvet mentions, Bikefix (http://www.bikefix.co.uk) and
    London Recumbents (http://www.londonrecumbents.co.uk/) in London, D-Tek in Cambridge (no website at
    present) and Kinetics (http://kinetics.org.uk/) in Glasgow will all let you play on demonstrators,
    which is a Good Thing. Generally, these sessions will tell you within minutes if you Really Must
    Have One, but otherwise is probably not long enough to convince you if you're not immediately sure
    (for example, most people assume visibility in heavy traffic will haunt them, but until you're
    completely happy with the balance, which may take at least a day or two on some models for some
    people, you're unlikely to want to venture into heavy traffic to find out...). But it's certainly
    better than nothing, and if you *are* immediately beamed straight up to Grin Factor 9 then you know
    you can spend your cash fairly safely.

    The other good thing about the dealers is they have a selection, which IMHO is very important.
    Though people use the term "recumbent" to denote a class of bike, it's not really that helpful a
    term. Mine, a tourer, has far more in common with something like a Dawes Super Galaxy than it does
    with a Baron Lowracer recumbent when it comes to use and application, for example. This is worth
    considering when looking at second hand ones too: ask yourself *why* you might want a 'bent, so for
    example if it's to go screamingly fast then a BikeE or similar would be a total waste of your money
    (you could go a lot faster than a BikeE on a much cheaper upright racer). As with uprights, there
    are tourers, racers, urban bikes, folders and all shades in between, so don't just look for "a
    recumbent", look for a recumbent that does specifically what your particular job requires of it.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    ---

  6. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Bet you will (like it, that is) though!! BTW don't forget to try both 2 and 3 wheels. If you are
    anywhere near the SE you can try mine.

    SW

    news:[email protected]...

  7. On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:04:21 GMT, "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having said that, their website isn't reachable for me, and I've not been down there for a
    >few months, but they didn't particularly look/sound like they might be going out of business
    >when I was.

    They were still open today when I collected my Orca (At LAST!!!) :-D Doing quite well, too. Sold an
    Anthrotech whilst I was in there.

    --
    DG

    Bah!

  8. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > EMG Goodsin wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    >> like it!!
    >

    > For cheap, I'm afraid it's second hand or resorting to a life of crime.
    <snipped excellent advice/comments>

    The third way is to build your own. This can be very cheap if you have a big box of bits and a bit
    of a mechanical bent. You can see a few hastily thrown together photos of my effort at the link in
    the sig below. If it turns out to be a dog, then at least it will be your dog. Mine gives me a good
    dose of grin factor, and may end up taking me to the dark side with a more professionally built
    machine (but not before I can afford it).

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  9. >The third way is to build your own. This can be very cheap if you have a big box of bits and a bit
    >of a mechanical bent.

    Or get a kit: <http://www.dutchbikes.nl/uk.htm>

    Mark van Gorkom

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:49:30 +0100, Disgruntled Goat <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They were still open today when I collected my Orca

    Hurrah! Let us know how you get on. Darth Ian OK?

    Guy
    ===

  11. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:09:49 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Peter Clinch wrote:
    >> EMG Goodsin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    >>> like it!!
    >>

    >> For cheap, I'm afraid it's second hand or resorting to a life of crime.
    ><snipped excellent advice/comments>
    >
    >The third way is to build your own. This can be very cheap if you have a big box of bits and a bit
    >of a mechanical bent. You can see a few hastily thrown together photos of my effort at the link in
    >the sig below. If it turns out to be a dog, then at least it will be your dog. Mine gives me a good
    >dose of grin factor, and may end up taking me to the dark side with a more professionally built
    >machine (but not before I can afford it).

    I'm still struggling with mine, struggling to get the 'fixing method' sorted....especially if I want
    to do the welding/brazing myself, which I do.

    I've come to the conclusion that the only way to go is a decent oxy/act setup - weld/braze/melt/bend
    or just heat....it does it all. But storing two bloody great gas bottles in your one-bed flat is
    *not* the way to go! Stick welding <although you can get the real small arc welders for 50 notes>
    appear to be a no goer <although If I could find carbon arc torch....can't find one
    anywhere!!....I'd get an stick
    welder>, TIG is obviously way too expensive and MIG, not that easy
    either for the type of joints I want to do.....so I'm down to Mapp/air at the moment. It will do
    smaller stuff, no problem, but getting two bits if tubes hot enough to get a fillet braze going is
    tricky. Next port of call is silver brazing, just as strong as bronze, and it melts at a lower temp
    than brass, it might be doable with mapp/air,,,but much more expensive. After that will be resorting
    to oxy/mapp, very much the ticket, but the small disposable oxy tanks are wallet burning
    apparently..

    still, we continue..

    sorry, just blabbering here...

    Garry

  12. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Garry Broad deftly scribbled:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:09:49 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Clinch wrote:

    >>> For cheap, I'm afraid it's second hand or resorting to a life of crime.
    >> <snipped excellent advice/comments>
    >>
    >> The third way is to build your own. This can be very cheap if you have a big box of bits and a
    >> bit of a mechanical bent. You can see a few hastily thrown together photos of my effort at the
    >> link in the sig below. If it turns out to be a dog, then at least it will be your dog. Mine gives
    >> me a good dose of grin factor, and may end up taking me to the dark side with a more
    >> professionally built machine (but not before I can afford it).
    >
    > I'm still struggling with mine, struggling to get the 'fixing method' sorted....especially if I
    > want to do the welding/brazing myself, which I do.
    >
    > I've come to the conclusion that the only way to go is a decent oxy/act setup -
    > weld/braze/melt/bend or just heat....it does it all. But storing two bloody great gas bottles in
    > your one-bed flat is *not* the way to go! Stick welding <although you can get the real small arc
    > welders for 50 notes> appear to be a no goer <although If I could find carbon arc torch....can't
    > find one anywhere!!....I'd get an stick
    > welder>, TIG is obviously way too expensive and MIG, not that easy
    > either for the type of joints I want to do.....so I'm down to Mapp/air at the moment. It will do
    > smaller stuff, no problem, but getting two bits if tubes hot enough to get a fillet braze going is
    > tricky. Next port of call is silver brazing, just as strong as bronze, and it melts at a lower
    > temp than brass, it might be doable with mapp/air,,,but much more expensive. After that will be
    > resorting to oxy/mapp, very much the ticket, but the small disposable oxy tanks are wallet burning
    > apparently..

    While I understand the motives behind doing much work yourself, why not just take the prepared bits
    to a local engineering shop and have them do the welding for you ?

    They are more used to welding and should have a far greater knowledge of what will and what won't
    work for a given type of weld, joint material and joint structure. If you haven't welded before, and
    don't have the 'proper' equipment, I suspect you'd be very lucky to get it right first time. It
    takes a long while to get the 'feel' needed to produce welded joints that are cohesive, structurally
    sound, and also don't look too much like Pigeon droppings .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  13. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:40:04 +0100, "Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Garry Broad deftly scribbled:

    >>> <snipped excellent advice/comments>
    >>>
    >>> The third way is to build your own. This can be very cheap if you have a big box of bits and a
    >>> bit of a mechanical bent. You can see a few hastily thrown together photos of my effort at the
    >>> link in the sig below. If it turns out to be a dog, then at least it will be your dog. Mine
    >>> gives me a good dose of grin factor, and may end up taking me to the dark side with a more
    >>> professionally built machine (but not before I can afford it).
    >>
    >> I'm still struggling with mine, struggling to get the 'fixing method' sorted....especially if I
    >> want to do the welding/brazing myself, which I do.
    >>
    >> I've come to the conclusion that the only way to go is a decent oxy/act setup -
    >> weld/braze/melt/bend or just heat....it does it all. But storing two bloody great gas bottles in
    >> your one-bed flat is *not* the way to go! Stick welding <although you can get the real small arc
    >> welders for 50 notes> appear to be a no goer <although If I could find carbon arc torch....can't
    >> find one anywhere!!....I'd get an stick
    >> welder>, TIG is obviously way too expensive and MIG, not that easy
    >> either for the type of joints I want to do.....so I'm down to Mapp/air at the moment. It will do
    >> smaller stuff, no problem, but getting two bits if tubes hot enough to get a fillet braze going
    >> is tricky. Next port of call is silver brazing, just as strong as bronze, and it melts at a lower
    >> temp than brass, it might be doable with mapp/air,,,but much more expensive. After that will be
    >> resorting to oxy/mapp, very much the ticket, but the small disposable oxy tanks are wallet
    >> burning apparently..
    >
    >While I understand the motives behind doing much work yourself, why not just take the prepared bits
    >to a local engineering shop and have them do the welding for you ?
    >
    >They are more used to welding and should have a far greater knowledge of what will and what won't
    >work for a given type of weld, joint material and joint structure. If you haven't welded before,
    >and don't have the 'proper' equipment, I suspect you'd be very lucky to get it right first time. It
    >takes a long while to get the 'feel' needed to produce welded joints that are cohesive,
    >structurally sound, and also don't look too much like Pigeon droppings .. ;)

    Sure, common sense. But for me, to do the brazing <not welding btw> myself, is all part of the fun
    and process of conjuring something from odd discarded bits and bobs I have lying around here. It's
    not *that* difficult to braze properly....you just need the right equipment !!

    Might be able to hire some oxy/act for a day or two.....watch your roof!!

    Where there's a will there's a way :)

    Garry

  14. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    I went to see AVD and borrowed a ride on a Windcheetah.

    I did spend 000's but boy oh boy was it worth it.

    I've had the speedy for 4 years now and do not regret one penny of what I have spent on it.

    Comared the the depreciation on a new car as you leave the showroom, all recumbents are cheap.

    Best regards

    Rod (tri) King on Windcheetah #456

    "EMG Goodsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    > like it!!
    >

    > thanks

  15. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    No problem. You don't have to buy secondhand and you don't have to build your own.

    There are a few recumbents available for less than a grand and even a trike, though not so many as last year what with the collapse of the BikeE empire and the unavailability of the Flevo Oke Ja.

    HP Velotechnik Wavey, 500 pounds or 600 with fr suspension forks.

    Challenge Focus Comfort and Focus Sport, 800 pounds.

    Pashley PDQ, 895.

    Stein Roadshark trike, 950 pounds.

  16. EMG Goodsin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone know where to get a cheap recumbant from, as i dont want to spend 1000's and find i dont
    > like it!!

    The good news: I have just received an advert for a recumbent for sale for, IIRC, three hundred and
    ninety-five of the Britons' pounds.

    The bad news: It's a Flevoracer...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > The bad news: It's a Flevoracer...

    Some context here... first the caveat of I've never tried one and am=20 going from heresay. That
    done with, the Flevo seems to have a good=20 reputation, or at least it does if you can get the
    hang of it. It=20 doesn't use all this handlebar and turning front wheel nonsense to go=20 around
    corners, but it has a joint in the middle and you steer it with=20 your knees. Or something.
    Bottom line is that unlike most 'bents, just learning to ride it could=20 be a major project in
    its own right.

    Picture at http://www.liegeradinfo.de/fle_race.jpg

    If it wouldn't take =A3400 out of my Speedmachine/trike/8Freight kitty I'= d=20 be quite interested.
    I've more or less cracked the basics of unicycling =

    so I should be in with a chance...

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    > > The bad news: It's a Flevoracer...
    >
    > Some context here... first the caveat of I've never tried one and am=20 going from heresay. That
    > done with, the Flevo seems to have a good=20 reputation, or at least it does if you can get the
    > hang of it. It=20 doesn't use all this handlebar and turning front wheel nonsense to go=20 around
    > corners, but it has a joint in the middle and you steer it with=20 your knees. Or something.

    So this 'bent *is* bent!

    Colin

  19. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Seamus wrote:

    > There are a few recumbents available for less than a grand and even a trike, though not so many as
    > last year what with the collapse of the BikeE empire and the unavailability of the Flevo Oke Ja.
    >=20
    > HP Velotechnik Wavey, 500 pounds or 600 with fr suspension forks.

    I suppose it depends how one defines "cheap". Given that you can buy a=20 perfectly acceptable
    upright that will do just about anything most=20 non-competitve riders want for =A3200, =A3500 still
    doesn't really repres= ent=20 "cheap" to many.

    And though I've tried a Wavey and think at =A3500 it represents good=20 value, that would only be
    good value if it does what you want. I=20 decided to spend over a grand more on the
    Streetmachine, and since I=20 wanted a luxury cargo lugger that actually represented better value
    for=20 my particular circumstances. Buying the wrong sort of recumbent for=20 one's needs will
    just put you off them.