Cheap road tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Guest

Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap road tires. I am commuting on
    them - no racing or real training - so "tough" beats "supple." Decent shite-weather handling is a
    must, and cornering should be pretty high (I take corners fast - too fast for a college campus, but
    so what - and I'm tired of my cheapass free Kendas breaking out).

So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US (including stuff on
    PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria etc.)?

I was looking at the IRC Redstorm and, less likely, the Kenda Koncept.

Thanks, Chris

Tags:

2. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

Chris wrote:

> Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap road tires. I am commuting
    > on them - no racing or real training - so "tough" beats "supple." Decent shite-weather handling is
    > a must, and cornering should be pretty high (I take corners fast - too fast for a college campus,
    > but so what - and I'm tired of my cheapass free Kendas breaking out).
    >
    > So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US (including stuff on
    > PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria etc.)?
    >
    > I was looking at the IRC Redstorm and, less likely, the Kenda Koncept.

I had some plain, house-brand 1.5" slicks from Performance that were really good, and around $12
    each. Check 'em out.

Matt O.

3. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Guest

On 18 Feb 2004 13:25:09 -0800, [email protected] (Chris)
    wrote:

>Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap road tires. I am commuting on
    >them - no racing or real training - so "tough" beats "supple." Decent shite-weather handling is a
    >must, and cornering should be pretty high (I take corners fast - too fast for a college campus, but
    >so what - and I'm tired of my cheapass free Kendas breaking out).
    >
    >So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US (including stuff on
    >PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria etc.)?
    >
    >I was looking at the IRC Redstorm and, less likely, the Kenda Koncept.
    >
    >Thanks, Chris

I've had decent luck with the Redstorms, which I picked up for cheap. The 25mm size. They don't
    thrill me, but they do ride fine and corner fine. No problems in the rain, no slipping, but I don't
    push tires as hard as it sounds that you might. Never felt limited by them. I don't think that you'd
    regret getting them, but there might be better choices that other people have found.

4. Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian Guest

wrote:
    >road tires. I am commuting on them - no racing or real training - so
    >
    >So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US

Bontrager Invert 2 treated me well.
    --
    Rick Onanian

5. David

David Guest

check out maxxis.

david

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap road tires. I am commuting
    > on them - no racing or real training - so "tough" beats "supple." Decent shite-weather handling is
    > a must, and cornering should be pretty high (I take corners fast - too fast for a college campus,
    >
    > So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US (including stuff on
    >
    >
    > Thanks, Chris

6. In article <[email protected]>,
    Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap road tires. I am commuting on
    >them - no racing or real training - so "tough" beats "supple." Decent shite-weather handling is a
    >must, and cornering should be pretty high (I take corners fast - too fast for a college campus, but
    >so what - and I'm tired of my cheapass free Kendas breaking out).
    >
    >So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US (including stuff on
    >PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria etc.)?
    >

You might consider a visit to your local shop to ask if they have any "take off" tires that were
    removed from new bikes. You can often get a pair for $20 or less that way, albeit with some greasy
    thumb prints.

7. Papercut

Papercut Guest

If you're looking to put road tires on your mtb, I can recommend the inexpensive 26x1.25 slicks from
    nashbar.com. I got them on sale for $7, but I think reg price is about $10.

8. chris-<< So, who has good experience with a tire under-or-about $20 US
    >><BR><BR>

Conti and Vittoria both make $15 tires...see a bike shop-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

9. Chris wrote:

>
    >

Buy nicer ones from eBay?

10. Jp

Jp Guest

[email protected] (Chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Funny thing about this is it sounds like you want a cheap all-weather racing tire; in fact, with
    your other requirements I would consider leaving off the "cheap" part.

JP

11. Wort

Wort Guest

wrote:

>Since I'm a mountainbike guy, I figured I'd ask the group about cheap
    >SNIP>>>>>
    >
    >Thanks, Chris

My vote this year (yes tire quality does change even for the same brand name) is for Hutchinson
    Excel http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=9781&siteid=pjv1c.QzcE0-JOtxjYtGZcJ4B.xZpXZiTw

Yes $8.95 at Nashbar, normal price up to $20. The wire bead seems to be a better tire than the
    folder. This is a big, heavy tire; 310 grams for the 23 mm width. It will do a thousand winter K and
    still have signs of the mold marks. Mine have done 3000 kilometers plus with one flat and are just
    starting to show wear. I'd nver race on them, well maybe I would......

Wayne Henderson Chilliwack, B. C. http://members.shaw.ca/waynehenderson/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.