Cheap tubes or good tubes?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I've been saving my pennies lately to upgrade my bike to very good status. (Roubaix SL2 frame, 7900 group, Reynolds Assault wheels, Pro3 Race). But it just occurred to me that I am still buying the same cheapo butyl tubes as I always have. Is it worth it to go latex? Been reading some decent reviews on them.

jojoma said:
I've been saving my pennies lately to upgrade my bike to very good status. (Roubaix SL2 frame, 7900 group, Reynolds Assault wheels, Pro3 Race). But it just occurred to me that I am still buying the same cheapo butyl tubes as I always have. Is it worth it to go latex? Been reading some decent reviews on them.

Are the butyl tubes disappointing in some way? Latex tubes do reduce rolling resistance, but they're more expensive. Some folks claim they can feel a difference in ride quality.

I recently went back to latex on the Trek and I can tell a difference in ride quality. The ride quality of a latex tube pumped up to 115 pounds (average) is the same as a ultralight (racing) butyl tube pumped up to 70!

Supposedly they handle better, but that would be difficult to measure just by riding a bike with them.

Supposedly there's less rolling resistance is very difficult to feel, so to say that there's less rolling resistence being felt I believe is in the mind of the rider! BUT, there have been tests that showed about a 2 to 3 watt savings in energy with latex over butyl, but 2 to 3 watts is so minor your not going to feel it.

Yes they are more expensive but so are ultralight racing butyl tubes, latex will be about $4 more then ultralight racing butyl. If you do extensive internet search you can get latex on sale for as low as $8, but at an LBS expect to pay $12 which you would probably end up paying for the $8 ones anyways due to shipping costs.

The only "drawback" to latex is that they lose about 25 pounds of air a day. But I don't consider that a drawback because with racing tubes I still found myself putting air in before every ride because those lost about 8 pounds, so if I'm already spending time putting air in anyways where's the drawback?

Latex is suppose to be more resistant to punctures, but personally I can't see why that's true, once an object penetrates the tire how is a mm thick tube going to stop penetration?

In conclusion I like latex due to the ride quality and will continue to use them.

I've never used latex due mainly to their cost. For recreational riding, saving a couple of watts isn't a big deal, but may just be fun to try to see how the ride feels. Like the Open CX tires I ran last season, they may not make sense for us club riders from a cost/benefit standpoint, or be practical, but it's fun to at least try the race stuff out.

OTOH, I do prefer a good quality butyl tube, eg Michelin or Conti, because they always seem to last longer than the cheaper Bontrager or no-name tubes from the LBS.

dhk2 said:
I've never used latex due mainly to their cost. For recreational riding, saving a couple of watts isn't a big deal, but may just be fun to try to see how the ride feels. Like the Open CX tires I ran last season, they may not make sense for us club riders from a cost/benefit standpoint, or be practical, but it's fun to at least try the race stuff out.

OTOH, I do prefer a good quality butyl tube, eg Michelin or Conti, because they always seem to last longer than the cheaper Bontrager or no-name tubes from the LBS.

Michelin tube. My favorites. There's not much Conti that I like.

My understanding, having read the study in the past couple of days, is that latex saves 2 to 3 watts per wheel, so maybe 5 watts total.

For me, the quality doesn't come as important in the rubber, but rather in the valves. Sometimes you can get a tube and the valve will be bad for pumping, or it will break easily.

Check the valves.

OldGoat said:
My understanding, having read the study in the past couple of days, is that latex saves 2 to 3 watts per wheel, so maybe 5 watts total.

You are correct, but 5 watts is something one doesn't notice, but perhaps in racing even if you don't notice it it still there.

As for butyl tubes, I'm partial to the Vredesteins; they seem better made than most, and are designed for higher pressures; they're a bit more expensive though, and hard to source locally. Also, Vred makes a tube with an 80mm valve which is long enough to use with Zip 404s without and adapter.

alienator said:
Michelin tube. My favorites. There's not much Conti that I like.
+1 I'm a big Michelin fan. Krylions in bad weather. Pro3s in nice weather. Conti 4000s were a disappointment. Which Mich tube do you use? Airstop? Aircomp?

I did manage to find one with a 60mm valve stem, which I need.
Michelin AirComp PRESTA Valve Inner Tube, 700c x 23c, 60mm PRESTA

jojoma said:
+1 I'm a big Michelin fan. Krylions in bad weather. Pro3s in nice weather. Conti 4000s were a disappointment. Which Mich tube do you use? Airstop? Aircomp?

I did manage to find one with a 60mm valve stem, which I need.
Michelin AirComp PRESTA Valve Inner Tube, 700c x 23c, 60mm PRESTA

I mostly use AirComp tubes, but that's just because AirComps are what I typically find at the LBS's around here. I've no real preference between AirComps and AirStops. In both cases, the quality is pretty damned consistent, especially compared to other tubes I've used.

+ another for Michelin AirComps. I've had good luck on them on a couple sets of my wheels. I have a couple of cheapies I lug around in my saddle bag.

Help! I am interested in commuting to work on my bike but want to know how do you avoid looking like you have slept in suit by the side of the road? Is there any suit carrier out there so I can get clean clothes to work every day. How do everyone else avoid this problem?

If you have to look your best, take your work clothes by car one day then bike commute the remainder of the week. You can also try garment panniers or various folding/rolling methods depending upon your actual situation. Google the words [SIZE= 16px]bike commuting wrinkles[/SIZE] for thousands of more opinions.
Â