Cheap Wheel Building in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Http://Www.Mtba, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    Having just moved to Melbourne i don't know of the cheapest bike shops yet (only the expensive ones
    with nice bikes). The problem is, while mucking around on my friends new Mongoose hard tail i did a
    180 degree tail whip followed by folding the back wheel into a taco upon landing. Asking for it on a
    shitty Mongoose, yer i know.

    But i said i would buy him a new wheel, but its a piece of crap and i don't wanna spend my good
    money on that hunk of junk. It has this cheap crappy disc brake system with crap hubs, now from my
    memory you cant buy shitty disc brake hub wheels complete can you?? I have only seen them with
    shimano deore hubs etc. (maybe i shop in places with good stuff though)

    Also, to rebuild the wheel with just spokes and rim (everything else is fine) i got quoted $100
    including labour. Where is a cheapo place that i can get this done? I was looking at more around the
    50-100 mark even lower for this Mongoose!!

    Cheers, Ken

    Tags:

  2. An anonymous person "http://www.mtbau.com/" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Having just moved to Melbourne i don't know of the cheapest bike shops yet (only the expensive
    > ones with nice bikes). The problem is, while mucking around on my friends new Mongoose hard tail i
    > did a 180 degree tail whip followed by folding the back wheel into a taco upon landing. Asking for
    > it on a shitty Mongoose, yer i know.
    >
    > But i said i would buy him a new wheel, but its a piece of crap and i
    don't
    > wanna spend my good money on that hunk of junk. It has this cheap crappy disc brake system with
    > crap hubs, now from my memory you cant buy shitty disc brake hub wheels complete can you?? I have
    > only seen them with
    shimano
    > deore hubs etc. (maybe i shop in places with good stuff though)
    >
    > Also, to rebuild the wheel with just spokes and rim (everything else is fine) i got quoted $100
    > including labour. Where is a cheapo place that i
    can
    > get this done? I was looking at more around the 50-100 mark even lower for this Mongoose!!

    If the scorn and invective you heap on the wheel you destroyed is based on sound knowledge and
    experience, then surely you could re-build it yourself. That way you could avoid building in all the
    excrement with which you pepper your post.

    John Retchford

  3. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "http://www.mtbau.com/" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Having just moved to Melbourne i don't know of the cheapest bike shops yet (only the expensive
    > ones with nice bikes). The problem is, while mucking around on my friends new Mongoose hard tail i
    > did a 180 degree tail whip followed by folding the back wheel into a taco upon landing. Asking for
    > it on a shitty Mongoose, yer i know.
    >
    > But i said i would buy him a new wheel, but its a piece of crap and i
    don't
    > wanna spend my good money on that hunk of junk. It has this cheap crappy disc brake system with
    > crap hubs, now from my memory you cant buy shitty disc brake hub wheels complete can you?? I have
    > only seen them with
    shimano
    > deore hubs etc. (maybe i shop in places with good stuff though)
    >
    > Also, to rebuild the wheel with just spokes and rim (everything else is fine) i got quoted $100
    > including labour. Where is a cheapo place that i
    can
    > get this done? I was looking at more around the 50-100 mark even lower for this Mongoose!!

    Last time I had a wheel rebuilt, it cost me $ 60 from Bicycle Recycle in Nth Melbourne. That was two
    and a bit years ago.

  4. John,

    Yes it is based on sound knowledge and experience, and i would rebuild it myself but where i used to
    live i had access to friends wheel trueing stands and better tools. Know i do not have these, and
    don't want to make a dodgy wheel (as cheap as the components are).

    Plus, it isn't my bike, i really don't feel like spending the time on doing something someone else
    could do while i concentrate my efforts on my website. But i found a place in Footscray that will
    rebuild the wheel for me for $69 including labour, so i am much happier with this price.

    ----

    Ken Thompson MTBAU Administrator

    w: http://www.mtbau.com/
    w1: [email protected]