Cheap Wheels

jmgradon

Oct 24, 2003
In reading roadbikereviews and similar sites I notice that the wheels are the most frequently cited weakness in entry to mid level road bikes. (Seats and pedals also get a lot of play.) Why is this the case and is there a bike manufacturer who puts decent wheels and tires on road bikes costing $1000 or less? Is the only answer buying a more expensive bike?

Originally posted by jmgradon
In reading roadbikereviews and similar sites I notice that the wheels are the most frequently cited weakness in entry to mid level road bikes. (Seats and pedals also get a lot of play.) Why is this the case and is there a bike manufacturer who puts decent wheels and tires on road bikes costing $1000 or less? Is the only answer buying a more expensive bike?
The majority of the wheels are in line with the rest of the components on the bike. Many decent OEM wheels get alot of badmouth for no good reason. How bikes are equiped has to do with hitting pricepoints.Putting on better rims and hubs means higher cost. Everyone thinks they need Ks or some other boutiuqe high $$ wheels regardless of ability or use. Think you need better? Trying making a swap with the shop for partial credit at time of purchase. Or, shop harder and look for brands that offer more bang for the buck.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Putting on better rims and hubs means higher cost. ..... shop harder and look for brands that offer more bang for the buck.

Uh, you don't say, huh? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jmgradon

Many bicycles come with machine built wheels to save costs.
Your shop can hand finish the wheels; making sure they are spoke aligned, properly and evenly tensioned, trued, centered, and stress relieved. They can also pack the bearings and precision adjust the cones.
Some shops do this as a standard preparation for putting the bicycle on the floor. I suggest this preparation is one sign of a shop that you would choose to do business with.