cheaper alternative to bicycle cable splitters?

jasong

Nov 24, 2003
There are several brands on the market for splitting cables, which is very useful for people that have bikes with S&S couplers and disassemble the bike frequently but don't want to mess with the f/r derailleurs and rear brake cable.

The problem is that a set of these is quite expensive: at least $30. These items can't cost more than a few $$ to manufacturer.

Anyone know of a different solution that might be in the $10-15-20 range? It's that buying a few sets of these and backup sets ends up running well over $100, and that's just ridiculous. Ok, paying the creative design fee once is enough. But 4 times is too much.

ie, from S&S's site

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_cable.htm

How 'bout one of these? Not the most stylish option, and you need to figure out a way to attach the wires. Strengthwise it should do.

That's an idea. I'm curious if anyone has a few pieces of data:

normal cable force for front/rear derailleur, peak force while shifting

and rear brake -- hard breaking that would skid the rear wheel

Calculating this is easy, but not as easy as asking. :)

I'll look for a keyring like this and see what kind of tension it can support before failing.

Any ideas on how to terminate the cable onto each end of the keyring? I'll be looking around at a hardware shop to see what might work out. Something small, that's key, so it can fit in the 1cm space without scratching on the frame.

If I can figure out a substitute, I'll absolutely make a page showing everyone how to do this.

dabac said:
How 'bout one of these? Not the most stylish option, and you need to figure out a way to attach the wires. Strengthwise it should do.

jasong said:
Any ideas on how to terminate the cable onto each end of the keyring?
Depends a bit on what you're comfortable with. My first suggestion would be to find a couple of those gadgets used for splicing electrical wiring. (the ones that look like a piece of brass tubing with a small screw placed radially at each end, see pic)
Thread wire through brass tube, Make a loop by continue threading through hole meant for keyring and back through brass tube. Tighten both screws.

This will definitely work for gear wires, and if it doesn't work for brake wires just add another tube and tighten that one too.

You can also use one (or more) of those connectors that are crimped in place with a special set of pliers (see pic) in the same way.

Or if you're comfortable with soldering you can use that method to make the loop.
Or if you feel for some fiddly work - drill axial holes in the pieces of the keyring connector, insert wires and solder them in place. The one I have is made of brass, so it should take solder easily.