cheapest bike computer for non-bike project please...

Jt

Guest
Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike
speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.

And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and Bottom
Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Here, try this.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=1035&category=82&browse=&stor
etype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1

It is also nice to have the speedo read to tenths of a klik.

Paul K. Dickman

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, "jt" <[email protected]> may have said:

>Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike
>speedo's working.
>
>What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
>programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
>the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
>And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.

Locally, the bottom-of-the-line GT speedo (which meets your specs pretty well, though it has a few
bells & whistles) is available under $15 at Academy stores. Try Wal-Mart; they may have an analog.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:

> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
> the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm (1000 reed-switch
triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working below that... maybe things are better now? Has
anyone done this max-speed comparison recently?

We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about 1000 rpm.

jt wrote:
> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
> the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.

Got a "Hot Wheels" branded bike computer at Wal-Mart for about $10. Still working great after 800Km,
many in pouring rain.

CRM

> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and
> Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on
> that item...

"Doug Milliken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> > working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> > programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix
> > to the headstock
spindle -
> > no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm (1000 reed-switch
> triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working below that... maybe things are better now? Has
> anyone done this
max-speed
> comparison recently?
>
> We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about 1000 rpm.

My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road bike. This is something
like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want to try it.

Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off the mount and I've soldered it
back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless... really the mount is all that's needed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> "Doug Milliken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm (1000 reed-switch
> > triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working below that... maybe things are better now?
> > Has anyone done this max-speed comparison recently?
> >
> > We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about 1000 rpm.
>
> My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road bike. This is something
> like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want to try it.

Yes, that was the failure mode back then too -- erratic/nonsense readings. We used an industrial
tachometer (with reflective spot on tire) as a reference.

I paid less than $10 including shipping. Here is the auction: http://snurl.com/1w5s

--

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
> the headstock
spindle -
> no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.
>
> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and
> Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on
> that item...

Avocets don't use reed switches, maybe they'd be a good choice. It might be possible to remove every
other magnet from the ring that goes on the wheel (speculation) to lower the max frequency.

Joe Riel

All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the simplest and cheapest, try
Wally World (Wal-Mart).

I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust be sure it will stay
attached at higher RPM's!

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, "jt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike
>speedo's working.

Maybe you have somewhere on the spindle that you can put a small O-ring around the spindle and use
it to drive a small DC motor (like for model cars and the like). You can use the voltage generated
by the motor and an analog volt meter as a speed indicator. A small variable potentiometer can be
used to adjust the output voltage and if you run the output through a simple bridge rectifier IC it
will indicate for both forward and reverse.

I made one like that for my Linley jig borer, calibrated it with one of those old Starrett hand-held
tachs, and it provided good service for a number of years. I used a meter that was like 5 or 7 volts
full scale and tweaked the voltage so that the digits represented RPM x thousands.

The accuracy is less critical as just having something relatively accurate that can be used a
reference.

If you have a variable speed motor on the lathe you can simply dial your speed. My jig borer had a
90V DC PM motor.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:14:34 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") may
have said:

>All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the simplest and cheapest, try
>Wally World (Wal-Mart).
>
>I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust be sure it will stay
>attached at higher RPM's!

NeFeBo magnets on a flat surface will stay on a 6" headstock at 1500 rpm easily. Them suckers
are *strong*.

I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.

As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.

While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can be programmed to read in
RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you? That would seem to be a lot of work.

Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have to say is good luck.

Thanks Dave

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:

> Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> working.
>
> What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to
> the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
>
> And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.
>
> And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and
> Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on
> that item...

http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Readout%20showing%20104FPM.jpg

http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Magnet%20and%20sensor%20mounting.jpg

This shows one used to readout in SFM. They can also be set up to read out in rpm. This guy mounted
his with tape, so how hard can it be? These pictures are on the Sherline yahoo group. I don't
remember the guy's name but you can follow up there if you want.
--

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

"David A. Frantz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.
>
> As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.
>
> While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can
be
> programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you? That would seem to be a
> lot of work.
>
> Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have to say is good luck.
>
> Thanks Dave
>

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> > working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> > programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix
> > to the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
> >
> > And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.
> >
> > And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and
> > Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on
> > that item...

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

>While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can be programmed to read in
>RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you? That would seem to be a lot of work.

its easy.. just a little bit of math when programming the wheel size..

--
It's so creepy. A vacation should be sitting in bed eating chips and dips, watching TV, and being
massaged and blown by a robot - that's a vacation.

Well, in British Columbia we pay 14% on most purchases! One half is provincial sales tax, and the
other is the federal Goods and Services tax
( avalue added tax).

Steve Rayner.

"David A. Frantz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm wondering where you live that you pay a 15% tax.
>
> As far as the tachometer goes try e-bay or a mail order firm.
>
> While I can see how this would work, I'm surprised that these things can
be
> programmed to read in RPM. Your not using these to read in MPH are you? That would seem to be a
> lot of work.
>
> Having just installed a speedo on my mountain bike this year, all I have to say is good luck.
>
> Thanks Dave
>

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, jt wrote:
>
> > Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have converted bike speedo's
> > working.
> >
> > What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy stuff. It has to have a
> > programmable wheel size, preferably in small increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix
> > to the headstock spindle - no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.
> >
> > And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about $25.
> >
> > And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano XTR Crankset and
> > Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax. Wonder what the total profit margin is on
> > that item...

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road bike. This is something
> like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may
want
> to try it.

I have one and can verify - had some dried dog turd on my front tyre, and while the powerwasher was
out (cleaning a driveway) I hit the tyre with the spray from that........talk about spin! Well
anyhoo, the 'pooter had no probs reading it - something like 500 or so (26" MTB).

> Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off the mount and I've soldered
> it back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless... really the mount is all that's needed.

Yeah, good 'pooter, mounts suck grandpa farts.

Shaun aRe - on his second sigma mount (hey, onlycost me £2 for the replacement though....).

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:14:34 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") may
> have said:
>
> >All of the electronic cyclometers have wheel size settings, as fior the simplest and cheapest,
> >try Wally World (Wal-Mart).
> >
> >I don't know how you intend to attach the magnet to the headstock, sust be sure it will stay
> >attached at higher RPM's!
>
> NeFeBo magnets on a flat surface will stay on a 6" headstock at 1500 rpm easily. Them suckers are
> *strong*.

Hell yes they are! I'd still stick it on with something though...........

Shaun aRe - I use 3 in a stack, wrapped with a bit of inner-tube and held with 2 zip ties to the
spokes as a trigger magnet (stock ones suck/blow/generally practically undesirable).