Cheapest COUNTRY to sell MTBs

rossoreduk

Oct 10, 2003
Hey I've been checking out the net for prices of various MTBs and lo and behold, there is a massive fluctuation in price!

Worst countries are ENGLAND and USA. The prices are probably the highest in the world!

What i wanna know is? Where is the cheapest place that sells bikes? Maybe HONG KONG? wot say you? and please include links to local bike shops!

Originally posted by rossoreduk
Hey I've been checking out the net for prices of various MTBs and lo and behold, there is a massive fluctuation in price!

Worst countries are ENGLAND and USA. The prices are probably the highest in the world!

What i wanna know is? Where is the cheapest place that sells bikes? Maybe HONG KONG? wot say you? and please include links to local bike shops!

You need to REALLY check the internet stores...America is the cheapest place to buy bikes and components. Ever try to buy Shimano parts at a discount in Japan? Sure, you can get frames cheaper in Taiwan (sans decals), but the bottom line is that it's cheaper in America.;)

I don't know about that. I've been to bike shops in europe and found most of the stuff to be far more expensive than the US. The price for drivetrain, forks, and drivetrain components was nuts. I did notice that stuff that was made there was much cheaper than the US. It seems to depend were the company who makes the stuff is from.

Definitely America for cheapest bikes, check out
http://wheelworld.com/site/intro.cfm

Europe has some bargains on bikes which are made there, like Sunn and Rotwild, but still America dominates, especially on American brands like Specialized, Cannondale etc...

Maybe Canada could be interesting too...

Here in Australia im sure we are the dearest (as with other luxuary electronics etc etc) Maybe New Zealands worse but we get SHAFTED here on everything.

Damn 20million population :)

Originally posted by spoonfed
Here in Australia im sure we are the dearest (as with other luxuary electronics etc etc) Maybe New Zealands worse but we get SHAFTED here on everything.

Apart from perhaps the sun, the beaches, the ludicrously low cost of living, cheap fuel, cheap housing, beautiful countryside, and the UN's highest standard of living in the world!

Interstingly bike prices in Aus are very similar to those in the UK, some are a little more, some a little less, but overall it's pretty close. It's amazing how many people moan that the UK is the most expensive place in the world too.

There's just no pleasing some people..... (that's just what Jesus said sir!)

Originally posted by frey
Apart from perhaps the sun, the beaches, the ludicrously low cost of living, cheap fuel, cheap housing, beautiful countryside, and the UN's highest standard of living in the world!

Interstingly bike prices in Aus are very similar to those in the UK, some are a little more, some a little less, but overall it's pretty close. It's amazing how many people moan that the UK is the most expensive place in the world too.

There's just no pleasing some people..... (that's just what Jesus said sir!)

Well i dont know about u but i'd rather not pay over the top prices for just about everything! I came across a web site of a cycling community in Malaysia and they didnt just have the odd one high end bike they had several. Each and veryone was kitted out with expensive gear too.

I emailed one of the members and was shocked to learn that the prices there are around 50% less on some parts. So not only do they have some of the best off roading trails i've ever seen but those bikes we can only drool over are affordable there too. It has a direct inpact on the people themselves. The cycling community is massive.

We hear stories about the government investing millions into cycle routes and cycle lanes in the UK but how about making it more appealing by taking VAT (value added Tax) off bikes and bike parts. There is no VAT on helmets but on bikes. That doesnt make sense.

Also thought i'd mention.....its raining today!

Errm everything? Look at your housing market mate, then look at your food costs, then look at the cost of petrol. Ah ha ha ha, you have such a pitiful idea of how good your state of affairs is. You think Malaysia is so great, go live there, and find out first hand why they don't have the standard of living you have and don't appreciate

In the Philippines
Majority are just the same(comparing to prices from magazine against our currency)
Some can be very expensive compare to US specially new parts/technology design
but some are cheaper

singapore. so far prices here are the cheapest if u know where to look for. i am talking abt a 40%-30% price cheaper than the US. for new and old stuff. but the bad thing we got new stuff abt 1-2 mths lag compare to US.

Originally posted by ihsan_jahanam
singapore. so far prices here are the cheapest if u know where to look for. i am talking abt a 40%-30% price cheaper than the US. for new and old stuff. but the bad thing we got new stuff abt 1-2 mths lag compare to US.

u have any sites (shops) i can visit that back up ur statement?
Thanks

I was in Singapore about 6 years ago, and managed to pick up two NOS Nikon F2As black bodies...these cameras have long been out of production, are heavy, but are far better constructed than the new caca...I like the old stuff, old materials (steel), hardtails, single speeds...you get the drill. Anyway, Singapore has long been a center of grey market goods, and yes, you can find tons of NOS cycling equipment in Singapore, at a fair price. The exchange rate is 1:1, so what you pay for is in real USD value. I'd like to get my hands on some more xtr 8 speed stuff, so I too would like to know if there are any internet Singapore cycling dealers. BTW, Rolex' are a real steal their too, ($850.00 for a Submariner).

IMO the prices of bikes in Estonia r twice as much as they are in USA.
With shimano parts its getting worse. I can buy XT with the same money I could get XTR in USA.
There are xtremly expensive brands in Estonia like Cannondale and Marin, other european brands Merida, Author,Duratec are cheaper but still...
USA is a paradise of bikes and cheap prices, so dont whine;)

Originally posted by Author
IMO the prices of bikes in Estonia r twice as much as they are in USA.
With shimano parts its getting worse. I can buy XT with the same money I could get XTR in USA.
There are xtremly expensive brands in Estonia like Cannondale and Marin, other european brands Merida, Author,Duratec are cheaper but still...
USA is a paradise of bikes and cheap prices, so dont whine;)

Pretty much the same here in Finland. Maybe not twice the US prices but still... Some North American brands seem to have unified prices across the Europe. And it's not just bikes but cycling-related products; it's cheaper to buy a Finnish HRM (Polar) from Germany (or UK, even US... incl. shipping costs) than from a LBS. Sad but inevitable.

Wait till you come here in Japan hehe but its really fun seeing Cannondales flooding the used bike market