Cheapest Ergos?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Anywhere selling 9-speed 2001+ Chorus Ergos for < £128,
    or Record < £155? (rounded to nearest pound)

    TIA ~PB

    Tags:

  2. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anywhere selling 9-speed 2001+ Chorus Ergos for < £128,
    > or Record < £155? (rounded to nearest pound)

    Pete,

    Are you including P&P or not? If not, www.cyclingbargains.com just - and only just - scrapes in at
    £154 for the Record Ergo levers and £127 for the Chorus model (rounded up). Postage is another three
    quid on top of these prices.

    Hope this helps, David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David E. Belcher wrote:

    >> Anywhere selling 9-speed 2001+ Chorus Ergos for < £128,
    >> or Record < £155? (rounded to nearest pound)

    > Are you including P&P or not?

    No, and it would be a factor if the dealer didn't have all the other items I want, or it was
    significantly more than £2.50.

    > If not, www.cyclingbargains.com just - and only just - scrapes in at £154 for the Record Ergo
    > levers and £127 for the Chorus model (rounded up). Postage is another three quid on top of
    > these prices.

    Thanks. Good to add another dealer to the favourites, I've never seen the site before. Are they new
    or newly online? They don't seem to have Chorus or Record 9-speeds, though. (Could convert 10sp but
    I'd rather not).

    I've now got to decide whether the idea is at all sensible now. Don't answer that!! :)

    ~PB

  4. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 18-Mar-2003, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    > Anywhere selling 9-speed 2001+ Chorus Ergos for < £128,
    > or Record < £155? (rounded to nearest pound)

    Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay. I recently picked up a brand new (boxed) set of 10 speed
    Chorus Ergos for £82. OK there were no cables, but still a bit of a deal.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  5. "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Thanks. Good to add another dealer to the favourites, I've never seen the
    > site before. Are they new or newly online?

    I think they started up late last year, initiated by the people at Omega, I think.

    > They don't seem to have Chorus or Record 9-speeds, though. (Could convert 10sp but I'd rather
    > not).

    Hmm. Hadn't noticed that; never hurts to phone and check if they have what you want, though.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  6. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Parker has 2000 chorus for £99. I believe there was no change from 2000 to the present.

    Peter

    > Anywhere selling 9-speed 2001+ Chorus Ergos for < £128,
    > or Record < £155? (rounded to nearest pound)
    >
    > TIA ~PB

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter Vesel wrote:
    > Parker has 2000 chorus for £99. I believe there was no change from 2000 to the present.

    Thanks, but there was a change of cable pull in 2001 - hence dealers selling 2000 stuff cheap.

    I have read reports of older Ergos "working fine" with new mechs and vice versa, but rather not
    introduce any error at all when I don't need to. (I already have a 2001 mech, and would want it
    compatible with future mechs as well).

    ~PB

  8. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    > Peter Vesel wrote:
    > > Parker has 2000 chorus for £99. I believe there was no change from 2000 to the present.
    >
    > Thanks, but there was a change of cable pull in 2001 - hence dealers selling 2000 stuff cheap.
    >
    > I have read reports of older Ergos "working fine" with new mechs and vice versa, but rather not
    > introduce any error at all when I don't need to. (I already have a 2001 mech, and would want it
    > compatible with future mechs as well).
    >
    > ~PB

    There are some up for sale on EBay at the moment currently at about £30

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Bryan wrote:

    > There are some up for sale on EBay at the moment currently at about £30

    Thanks very much Bryan. They are old ones (pre 2000) but still might be worth buying if the price
    doesn't rise too much.

    cheers ~Pete

  10. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Pete, Please don't say this anywhere near my race bike. It has chorus 2000 shifters and 2002 10speed
    record rear derailleur. Up till now the shifting has been perfect but if the bike finds out
    then......

    By the way I sometimes run a shimano 9 speed rear wheel which also shifts properly.

    I think the pre/post 2001 campag story has no basis in practical use. Remember they said 9 speed
    stuff would not work with 8 (dreamers/chains) but now they say its ok.

    peter

    > Peter Vesel wrote:
    > > Parker has 2000 chorus for £99. I believe there was no change from 2000 to the present.
    >
    > Thanks, but there was a change of cable pull in 2001 - hence dealers selling 2000 stuff cheap.
    >
    > I have read reports of older Ergos "working fine" with new mechs and vice versa, but rather not
    > introduce any error at all when I don't need to. (I already have a 2001 mech, and would want it
    > compatible with future mechs as well).
    >
    > ~PB

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter Vesel wrote:
    > Pete, Please don't say this anywhere near my race bike. It has chorus 2000 shifters and 2002
    > 10speed record rear derailleur. Up till now the shifting has been perfect but if the bike finds
    > out then......
    >
    > By the way I sometimes run a shimano 9 speed rear wheel which also shifts properly.
    >
    > I think the pre/post 2001 campag story has no basis in practical use.

    Sorry, I'm still skeptical. I suspect some people are luckier and/or less fussy than others when it
    comes to gears. I've had problems with getting Campag 2001 9sp to run noise-free as it is with an
    all "correct" setup. I appreciate that the difference in cable pull may be small, but it is real,
    and I'd rather spend the extra few quid to get the right thing. The new design is supposed to
    provide a lighter action and again I like the idea of this enough to spend the extra.

    I am prepared to try all kinds of bodges* on my second bike but like to have my good bike good.

    * eg. Currently using an 8sp Campag cassette (incorporating a couple of modified 9sp sprockets)
    with Shimano 6sp down tube levers and a Shimano mech! One option (of many) I'm considering is
    transfering the worn & damaged Ergos from my good bike to the second bike and getting some
    brand new Ergos. Another option would be to simply get the shifters professionally serviced (my
    DIY attempt was not good), but the new hoods and cables that are supplied with new Ergos is a
    factor as well.

    ~PB

  12. "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pete, Please don't say this anywhere near my race bike. It has chorus 2000 shifters and 2002
    > 10speed record rear derailleur. Up till now the shifting has been perfect but if the bike finds
    > out then......
    >
    > By the way I sometimes run a shimano 9 speed rear wheel which also shifts properly.
    >
    > I think the pre/post 2001 campag story has no basis in practical use. Remember they said 9 speed
    > stuff would not work with 8 (dreamers/chains) but now they say its ok.

    I used to have a Campag 8sp set-up which used Veloce (2000) 9sp. Ergos and a Veloce (2002) rear
    mech; the whole thing worked without any bother, though I think the Exa-Drive cassette helps matters
    as far as accurate shifts are concerned. Also, the cable pull seemed best when the cable was
    positioned round the 'wrong' side of the clamp bolt (easier to do than to explain!).