Cheapest source for M5 seat and padding?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by B. Sanders, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    Anybody know a cheap source for an M5 hard-shell seat (preferably carbon). The M5 price is
    reasonable; but shipping jacks it up to the stratosphere.

    I know about the carbon seats sold by PowerOn; but I think I want an M5 seat (or clone).

    Also: Where can I get some of that 2" thick filter foam padding? It's the airy, fibrous kind that
    you often see on hard-shell seats. I can't seem to locate any. What is it actually called?

    Thanks,

    Barry

    Tags:

  2. Not an M5, but the Optima Hard-shells are close in design and the "porous open cell" foam UR talking
    about needs to be covered...the foam is as soft to the skin as steel wool. The Carbon Hard-shell is
    $240. usd, the foam is $30. usd ($270. usd is pretty good). Try http://www.triketrails.com Click on
    Optima and then on Accessories. Triketrails has a M5 Headrest, which works on the Optima Carbon.

    Hint for NG, a low cost way to ship is to use Greyhound Buses. Anywhere a Greyhound travels to, for
    a small Parcel Fee they'll ship your Hard-shell. I had a Hard-shell shipped this way ($13.00 for a
    400 mile trip and it arrived same day it was sent)..hope it helps.
    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody know a cheap source for an M5 hard-shell seat (preferably carbon). The M5 price is
    > reasonable; but shipping jacks it up to the stratosphere.
    >
    > I know about the carbon seats sold by PowerOn; but I think I want an M5
    seat
    > (or clone).
    >
    > Also: Where can I get some of that 2" thick filter foam padding? It's
    the
    > airy, fibrous kind that you often see on hard-shell seats. I can't seem
    > locate any. What is it actually called?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry

  3. "Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
    > Not an M5, but the Optima Hard-shells are close in design and the "porous open cell" foam UR
    > talking about needs to be covered...the foam is as soft to the skin as steel wool.

    A T-shirt is all you need to be comfortable on the foam unless you absolutely want to parade your
    gorillatie.

    http://www.zephyr.nl/shop/enter.html ("Zittings en kussens" in left menu)

    Has the foam in 30 x 100 cm pieces which is big enough for the HP-Velotechnik seat that I think is
    the widest one around. (28 cm) I paid the 20 euro listed plus 5 euro postage to Denmark.

    He also sells seats for 79 euro but only small and medium if you want fiberglass. Payment via
    Pay-Pal or bank transfer.

    Regards Mikael

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
    >> Not an M5, but the Optima Hard-shells are close in design and the "porous open cell" foam UR
    >> talking about needs to be covered...the foam is as soft to the skin as steel wool.
    >
    > A T-shirt is all you need to be comfortable on the foam unless you absolutely want to parade your
    > gorillatie.
    >
    > http://www.zephyr.nl/shop/enter.html ("Zittings en kussens" in left menu)
    >
    > Has the foam in 30 x 100 cm pieces which is big enough for the HP-Velotechnik seat that I think is
    > the widest one around. (28 cm) I paid the 20 euro listed plus 5 euro postage to Denmark.
    >
    > He also sells seats for 79 euro but only small and medium if you want fiberglass. Payment via
    > Pay-Pal or bank transfer.
    >
    > Regards Mikael

    I haven't tried the M5 seat, but I have had the HP Velo and Swanson seats. The fit is almost
    identical, with the Swanson having a bit of cupping action at the lumbar. I actually like the fit of
    the Swanson a bit better than the HP seat. The Swanson seat is supposed to have been based upon the
    Optima seat. I would trade my Swanson for an Optima Trike seat, IF what I have read is true: The
    Optima trike seat has a wider base. Garrie Hill sells (sold?)the foam in the U.S. by square foot,
    and also built some carbon shells. My problem with hardshells is that I am trying to use them in a
    more upright position than perhaps for which they were designed, it feels like I'm going to slide
    off the front edge of the seat. That feeling is gradually reduced the further back it is reclined.

    rorschandt

  5. Rorschandt, IMO you are correct about the Swanson and Optima seats being quite similar. These seats
    as well as the M5 are designed for 25/30 degrees of recline. Like you I have found that using these
    seats in the more upright position causes butt slip and in the long run discomfort from the front
    lip digging into your lower butt or upper thigh area. I use the open cell foam on the M5 Its great,
    for me anyway. The coarseness has no effect on me and a Tee Shirt is all the protection you need as
    another poster pointed out. Last year, I said to a Street Machine rider that I like his seat cover.
    It was August and he turned around to show me the back of his sopping wet jersey, his complaint was
    its always wet and slippery. I am a big fan of the Euro seats. I find them to be quite comfortable.
    I have experience with many of the current foam based and slung seats. I prefer the hard-shell. My
    touring version of the STRADA will sport the standard Bacchetta recurve seat because of the
    underseat pannier mounting option, However, making a mounting system for an underseat system for the
    hard-shells is not really a big deal. All in all I think that the euro seat will be an ever
    increasing presence in the US market. Possibly some will be designed with a more upright rider in
    mind. However, IMO the reclined position distributes the weight and can for many have a virtually
    recumbent buttless result. But.... as always trial and error seems to be the way that we find this
    out...and this can be expensive. Lets hope that the prices come down.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
    > >> Not an M5, but the Optima Hard-shells are close in design and the "porous open cell" foam UR
    > >> talking about needs to be covered...the foam is as soft to the skin as steel wool.
    > >
    > > A T-shirt is all you need to be comfortable on the foam unless you absolutely want to parade
    > > your gorillatie.
    > >
    > > http://www.zephyr.nl/shop/enter.html ("Zittings en kussens" in left menu)
    > >
    > > Has the foam in 30 x 100 cm pieces which is big enough for the HP-Velotechnik seat that I think
    > > is the widest one around. (28 cm) I paid the 20 euro listed plus 5 euro postage to Denmark.
    > >
    > > He also sells seats for 79 euro but only small and medium if you want fiberglass. Payment via
    > > Pay-Pal or bank transfer.
    > >
    > > Regards Mikael
    > >

    > I haven't tried the M5 seat, but I have had the HP Velo and Swanson seats. The fit is almost
    > identical, with the Swanson having a bit of cupping action at the lumbar. I actually like the fit
    > of the Swanson a bit better than the HP seat. The Swanson seat is supposed to have been based upon
    > the Optima seat. I would trade my Swanson for an Optima Trike seat, IF what I have read is true:
    > The Optima trike seat has a wider base. Garrie Hill sells (sold?)the foam in the U.S. by square
    > foot, and also built some carbon shells. My problem with hardshells is that I am trying to use
    > them in a more upright position than perhaps for which they were designed, it feels like I'm going
    > to slide off the front edge of the seat. That feeling is gradually reduced the further back it is
    > reclined.
    >
    > rorschandt

  6. Slide off the front of the Hardshell?...OUCH The Optima seat is more rounded at the base, whereas
    the Swanson is more pointed. I like the Swanson (almost bought the Licence last year from Karl and I
    routinely kick myself for not buying it) but the Optimas cost less (in Canada) and no
    shipping/import hassles. I understand that Mark Power at Power-On Cycling in Florida picked up the
    Licence, perhaps he could modify one of the molds to make it more rounded (like the Optima).
    Power-On Cycling also sells the Open Cell Foam (or did the last time I checked b4 xmas). If U live
    in the U.S. buying from Mark Power makes more sense, Optima still hasn't nailed down distribution of
    their Accessories in the USA....and Mark Power (should) be able to re-enforce the seats if
    needed....hmmm, what I mean is, where the mounting brackets are (base and back) you can have extra
    layers of Carbon Fiber built up around the brackets to make the brackets more secure...I had this
    done on my Hardshell (because) on my trike I need to lean in turns and it was bending the mounting
    brackets. Oh Yeah...I don't ride without a shirt on, but I have ridden with a short sleeved T-Shirt
    and the seat foam was like Steel Wool on my bare arms...but I won't buy the seat cover. I take my
    Foam with me when I go into a building. It is secured with only 2 strips of Velcro and kids like to
    remove what comes off easily where I park the trike. I carry a "check list" of stuff I need to
    remove when I park.
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Joshua Goldberg" skrev ...
    > >> Not an M5, but the Optima Hard-shells are close in design and the "porous open cell" foam UR
    > >> talking about needs to be covered...the foam is as soft to the skin as steel wool.
    > >
    > > A T-shirt is all you need to be comfortable on the foam unless you absolutely want to parade
    > > your gorillatie.
    > >
    > > http://www.zephyr.nl/shop/enter.html ("Zittings en kussens" in left menu)
    > >
    > > Has the foam in 30 x 100 cm pieces which is big enough for the HP-Velotechnik seat that I think
    > > is the widest one around. (28 cm) I paid the 20 euro listed plus 5 euro postage to Denmark.
    > >
    > > He also sells seats for 79 euro but only small and medium if you want fiberglass. Payment via
    > > Pay-Pal or bank transfer.
    > >
    > > Regards Mikael
    > >

    > I haven't tried the M5 seat, but I have had the HP Velo and Swanson seats. The fit is almost
    > identical, with the Swanson having a bit of cupping action at the lumbar. I actually like the fit
    > of the Swanson a bit better than the HP seat. The Swanson seat is supposed to have been based upon
    > the Optima seat. I would trade my Swanson for an Optima Trike seat, IF what I have read is true:
    > The Optima trike seat has a wider base. Garrie Hill sells (sold?)the foam in the U.S. by square
    > foot, and also built some carbon shells. My problem with hardshells is that I am trying to use
    > them in a more upright position than perhaps for which they were designed, it feels like I'm going
    > to slide off the front edge of the seat. That feeling is gradually reduced the further back it is
    > reclined.
    >
    > rorschandt

  7. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > All in all I think that the euro seat will be an ever increasing presence in the US market.
    > Possibly some will be designed with a more upright rider in mind. However, IMO the reclined
    > position distributes the weight and can for many have a virtually recumbent buttless result.
    > But.... as always trial and error seems to be the way that we find this out...and this can be
    > expensive. Lets hope that the prices come down.
    >
    > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645

    I actually prefer the seat in the "totally laid back" position, but the grumblings from my neck are
    impossible to ignore. My neck is fine* if the seat is more like 40 degrees incline.

    rorschandt *A relative term, my neck is far from fine when I am NOT on a bike. Most riders will not
    have a problem with reclined angles.

  8. You can add a M5 Headrest for your neck...even add an extra 2 inches of foam for added support.
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > All in all I think that the euro seat will be an ever increasing presence in the US market.
    > > Possibly some will be designed with a more upright rider in mind. However, IMO the reclined
    > > position distributes the weight and can for many have a virtually recumbent buttless
    > > result. But.... as always trial and error seems to be the way that we find this out...and
    > > this can be expensive. Lets hope that the prices come down.
    > >
    > > Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    > > Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645
    >
    > I actually prefer the seat in the "totally laid back" position, but the grumblings from my neck
    > are impossible to ignore. My neck is fine* if the seat is more like 40 degrees incline.
    >
    > rorschandt *A relative term, my neck is far from fine when I am NOT on a bike. Most riders will
    > not have a problem with reclined angles.

  9. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    try a hard shell seat from Turner, IMHO, the most comfortable seat i've used, hard shell that
    is, and it is designed to be more upright with out the slipping, feeling. about 130.00 with pad
    I believe.

  10. rorschandt wrote:
    > I actually prefer the seat in the "totally laid back" position, but the grumblings from my neck
    > are impossible to ignore. My neck is fine* if the seat is more like 40 degrees incline.
    >
    > rorschandt *A relative term, my neck is far from fine when I am NOT on a bike. Most riders will
    > not have a problem with reclined angles.

    Have you tried gradually reducing the reclining angle? One or two degrees too far might indeed make
    the difference between comfort and discomfort. But riding a certain angle for a couple of weeks
    gives your neck muscles enough power to take an extra degree, and another, and another.

    Kees, riding at 23 degrees (angle, not centigrade yet)

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    rorschandt wrote:

    > I actually prefer the seat in the "totally laid back" position, but the grumblings from my neck
    > are impossible to ignore. My neck is fine* if the seat is more like 40 degrees incline.

    The Earth Cycles seat is very comfortable for me at around 40 degrees of incline. It is similar to
    the Lighting seat, except narrower, lighter, and with more lumbar support (and of course the
    industrial hemp seat pad cover). So far it is the best seat for me that I have found.

  12. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > rorschandt wrote:
    >>
    >> I actually prefer the seat in the "totally laid back" position, but the grumblings from my neck
    >> are impossible to ignore. My neck is fine* if the seat is more like 40 degrees incline.
    >
    > The Earth Cycles seat is very comfortable for me at around 40 degrees of incline. It is similar to
    > the Lighting seat, except narrower, lighter, and with more lumbar support (and of course the
    > industrial hemp seat pad cover). So far it is the best seat for me that I have found.

    recently, I tried to buy a used earthcycles seat, but was too late. My current trike project, I am
    installing a swanson seat because it is what I have around. I am trying to make it so that if I want
    a different seat later, it will be readily acceptable bracket-wise. Elsewhere in this thread, a
    strategy of "gentle acclimatization to recline" is suggested. Very good idea, but the muscles are
    not the problem. The vertebrae crunch together, pinching innocent nerves/tissues in the process. I
    have a neck without the normal curve at the top, I'd show my x- ray, but it is too big for the
    scanner...

    rorschandt