cheapie fixie hubs?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Flyingdutch: do you have some cheap fixed-gear hubs? Possibly for 110mm
    spacing?

    I got a Malvern Star Skidstar setup as an mtb yesterday but it has a
    ghastly coaster-brake hub. Fixed would be lovely.

    -- gecko

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Heyzooos!

    this is turning into a fulltime job! :D

    Im thinkin I will order in a dozen of em as the list of buyers is growin faster than an illegal-marina (Melb-joke)
    They are spaced (currently for 120mm) but i hink there might be abit of leeway there or a few extra spacers in there. I'll check tonight

    F"fbay"Dutch

  3. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] Wrote:
    > > Flyingdutch: do you have some cheap fixed-gear hubs? Possibly for 110mm
    > > spacing?
    > >
    > > I got a Malvern Star Skidstar setup as an mtb yesterday but it has a
    > > ghastly coaster-brake hub. Fixed would be lovely.
    > >
    > > -- gecko

    > Heyzooos!
    >
    > this is turning into a fulltime job! :D
    >
    > Im thinkin I will order in a dozen of em as the list of buyers is
    > growin faster than an illegal-marina (Melb-joke)
    > They are spaced (currently for 120mm) but i hink there might be abit of
    > leeway there or a few extra spacers in there. I'll check tonight
    >
    > F"fbay"Dutch
    >
    > --
    > flyingdutch

    What sort of $$ are we talking here Dutch??

    Gags

  4. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Flyingdutch: do you have some cheap fixed-gear hubs? Possibly for 110mm
    > spacing?
    >
    > I got a Malvern Star Skidstar setup as an mtb yesterday but it has a
    > ghastly coaster-brake hub. Fixed would be lovely.

    I just run a standard freewheel hub with an old BB lockring on my Skidstar:

    http://www.businessprojects.com.au/bikes/skidstar/rear_hub.jpg

    C'mon - it is a Skidstar, it is not as if it is going to get any _real_
    riding :)

    Brian

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    $50, but for you $100 :D:D:D:D

    ...unless you promise to tow me up the BR climb to break my 14min barrier :D

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Apart from being the local hub dealer (psssst need a fix??) how's the
    wheel building going. It's important you work it out so that when I have
    a go there is someone pedalling distance away to take my mess and
    suggest where I went wrong. :)

    DaveB "one last assignment this weekend and then it's down to the shed"

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    i doubt one OK(ish) wheel makes me some blackbelt!
    Its done. havent put it on a bike yet. just admiring its uncanny similarity to a wheel :D
    The only way i could suggest where you went wrong is if i did a hundred and made every mistake first myself and then related them back to you like some ol' warstory :D:D

    F"when-I-were-a-lad-we-were-so-poor-we-ad-square-wheels...Looooky!"Dutch

  8. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Brian Watson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Flyingdutch: do you have some cheap fixed-gear hubs? Possibly for 110mm
    >> spacing?
    >>
    >> I got a Malvern Star Skidstar setup as an mtb yesterday but it has a
    >> ghastly coaster-brake hub. Fixed would be lovely.

    > I just run a standard freewheel hub with an old BB lockring on my
    > Skidstar:
    >
    > http://www.businessprojects.com.au/bikes/skidstar/rear_hub.jpg
    >
    > C'mon - it is a Skidstar, it is not as if it is going to get any _real_
    > riding :)
    >
    > Brian

    Is it anything like this: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/watson.htm

    I want me one o' those.

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

  10. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > Resound wrote:
    >> Is it anything like this: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/watson.htm
    >> I want me one o' those.

    > You do know it's the same bike don'tcha?
    > and a lovely one at that Wato! :D
    >
    > hippy

    Um...

    Uh...

    *looks sheepish*

    Yes! I knew that! *clears throat* Just seeing if you were paying attention.

    Yeah. That's it. Attention.

    Or something.

    *hides*

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>Resound wrote:
    >>>Is it anything like this: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/watson.htm
    >>>I want me one o' those.

    >>You do know it's the same bike don'tcha?
    >>and a lovely one at that Wato! :D

    > Um...
    > Uh...
    > *looks sheepish*
    > Yes! I knew that! *clears throat* Just seeing if you were paying attention.
    > Yeah. That's it. Attention.
    > Or something.

    hehe.. I thought you were taking the piss! Obviously not. I'll forgive
    you, it's late.. yes.. fark! It's late!! I'm going! :S

    hippy

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 at 12:00 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > F"when-I-were-a-lad-we-were-so-poor-we-ad-square-wheels...Looooky!"Dutch

    Here siggy!

    The triangle wheel was an improvement upon the square wheel:
    It eliminates one bump.

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
  14. Brian Watson

    Brian Watson Guest

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    '404 error' is cos you tried to stop pedalling, right?

    fixed.sorry :rolleyes:

  16. Koon Yong

    Koon Yong New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2003
    Quando is the brand fuji use for their cheaper track bike. I've had my fuji for almost a year with no problems. The hubs aren't super smooth but they do the job. Just have to remember to strip 'em for a good clean and re-greasing every once in a while.

    cheers
    koon

  17. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Brian Watson Wrote:
    >
    >>Only hub01 works - the other 2 give 404 errors...
    >>
    >>Brian

    > '404 error' is cos you tried to stop pedalling, right?
    >
    > fixed.sorry :rolleyes:

    Still getting 404s.

    --
    Nick

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    keep pedalling! :D Its fixed. honest!

    F"fixed, get it? hehehehehe"Dutch

  19. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Resound wrote:
    > >> Is it anything like this:

    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/watson.htm
    > >> I want me one o' those.

    > > You do know it's the same bike don'tcha?
    > > and a lovely one at that Wato! :D
    > >
    > > hippy

    > Um...
    >
    > Uh...
    >
    > *looks sheepish*
    >
    > Yes! I knew that! *clears throat* Just seeing if you were paying

    attention.

    > Yeah. That's it. Attention.
    >

    > Or something.
    > *hides*

    There is one of these on ebay at the moment.......

    http://tinyurl.com/5v5uo

    Looks pretty nice but would look better as a fixie.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  20. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    If only a bike had three hubs, then it would be quando, quando, quando!