Cheapish full-sus for fat bloke?

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:45:10 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

>> "It eventually works out as a false economy because it's not just shipping costs that have to be
>> taken in to account. As your stuff is brought in to the country, the delivery note will be
>> inspected by customs and excise who will levy the appropriate import duties, which for bike parts
>> run at about 30%, I believe. Fail to pay it and they keep your stuff. Pay it and you make minimal
>> savings, if not actually paying more, with all the added bonuses of problems with returning stuff
>> and a lack of support from the UK / European distributors of said product."
>
> Does that 30% apply to new or used parts? I've read somewhere that to avoid duties, you should
> take it for a good, muddy ride and pack it that way.

It applies to any part you buy in the US, whether you used it in the US or not. What you're
referring to is the smuggling option. People make trips to the US, pick up a bike, ride it to make
it look used and then pack it up. Then, on the way through customs, if questioned, they just claim
that they took the bike with them on a cycling holiday and are returning with it. For added
authenticity, beater bikes can be taken on the way out and dumped on arrival in the US - records
will show that you left with a bike and returned with one.

Having said all that, I'm not quite sure how the system would work if somebody was sending a second-
hand gift.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:45:10 -0800, supabonbon wrote:
>
> >> "It eventually works out as a false economy because it's not just
shipping
> >> costs that have to be taken in to account. As your stuff is brought in
> >> the country, the delivery note will be inspected by customs and excise
who
> >> will levy the appropriate import duties, which for bike parts run at
about
> >> 30%, I believe. Fail to pay it and they keep your stuff. Pay it and
you
> >> make minimal savings, if not actually paying more, with all the added bonuses of problems with
> >> returning stuff and a lack of support from the
UK
> >> / European distributors of said product."
> >
> > Does that 30% apply to new or used parts? I've read somewhere that to avoid duties, you should
> > take it for a good, muddy ride and pack it that way.
>
> It applies to any part you buy in the US, whether you used it in the US or not. What you're
> referring to is the smuggling option. People make trips to the US, pick up a bike, ride it to make
> it look used and then pack it up. Then, on the way through customs, if questioned, they just claim
> that they took the bike with them on a cycling holiday and are returning with it. For added
> authenticity, beater bikes can be taken on the way out and dumped on arrival in the US - records
> will show that you left with a bike and returned with one.

It sounds to me as though the only "crime" involved in "pretending" the bike is being used for a
bike vacation, rather than actually changing hands, would be one against the UK and their protection
of their own companies ( profit protection from inexpensive imports). To me, this is as easy to
ignore as driving 65mph in a 60 mph zone :) And as far as the US is concerned, I don't see any
issues whatsoever...What am I missing? Dan V

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:45:05 -0500, Dan Volker wrote:

>> It applies to any part you buy in the US, whether you used it in the US or not. What you're
>> referring to is the smuggling option. People make trips to the US, pick up a bike, ride it to
>> make it look used and then pack it up. Then, on the way through customs, if questioned, they just
>> claim that they took the bike with them on a cycling holiday and are returning with it. For added
>> authenticity, beater bikes can be taken on the way out and dumped on arrival in the US - records
>> will show that you left with a bike and returned with one.
>>

> It sounds to me as though the only "crime" involved in "pretending" the bike is being used for a
> bike vacation, rather than actually changing hands, would be one against the UK and their
> protection of their own companies ( profit protection from inexpensive imports). To me, this is as
> easy to ignore as driving 65mph in a 60 mph zone :)
>
> And as far as the US is concerned, I don't see any issues whatsoever...What am I missing?

The issue here is not one of morality, but getting away with it. Get collared walking through the
green channel with a spangly new bike and not only will you have to pay the duty but you'll be
facing a fine too.

--

<Bomba On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:45:10 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

>> "It eventually works out as a false economy because it's not just shipping costs that have to be
>> taken in to account. As your stuff is brought in to the country, the delivery note will be
>> inspected by customs and excise who will levy the appropriate import duties, which for bike parts
>> run at about 30%, I believe. Fail to pay it and they keep your stuff. Pay it and you make minimal
>> savings, if not actually paying more, with all the added bonuses of problems with returning stuff
>> and a lack of support from the UK / European distributors of said product."
>
> Does that 30% apply to new or used parts? I've read somewhere that to avoid duties, you should
> take it for a good, muddy ride and pack it that way.>

When Carla and I were about to be married. She was still living in Canada. She came down here and found a great deal on her Bullit. We bought the bike and shipped it up to her via UPS... What a nightmare that became. They charged us the tax in Canadian that we had insured the bike for... as if it were a new bike... something like 20% on a bike valued at $2000. It took about 100 calls and a long letter to the Canadian customs to convince them it was a used bike and would be returning over the border shortly. I had to produce evidence of our planned marriage and Carla's immigration... It took months to recoup our money.
This was just between 2 North American countries! If I were to travel overseas we would rent!
I don't think there is any easy way around international tax and tariffs...

Jimbo(san)