Cheapo forks (Manitou and Marzocchi)

Doki

Guest
My fork's looking a bit worse for wear (shite RST stuff that
Giant stuck on the bike). I've found last year's Manitou
Axel Super, and a 2004 Marzocchi EXR Comp (usually an OEM
rather than aftermarket fork). They're both priced at £90
(yes, I'm a tight *******, but at least I'm not fitting more
elastomer guff), and both have coil springs and air gubbins,
and 80 or 100mm of travel depending how you set them up.

Which is the better fork of the two (I'm thinking the
Manitou)? The RST that Giant fitted to my bike has about
50mm of travel or so. Is fitting an
80/100mm travel fork going to **** up the way my bike rides?

There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel Super here:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/product_-
121940.shtml

Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention
though.

Paul wrote:
> There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel
> Super here:
>
> http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/produc-
> t_121940.shtml
>
> Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you
> mention though.

Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more than
my bike cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a
mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

A difficult question to answer, which to some extent depends
on how 'mediocre' your current bike is. If you think you'd
really appreciate the benefits of a more expensive model,
and you're pretty happy with the rest of your bike, and you
don't mind spending the money then you could consider
spending more. On the otherhand, would the money be better
spent replacing / upgrading other componentry on your bike?
Also, remember to take all the marketing hype out there with
a pinch of salt - don't get sucked in to spending your money
on a plush lightweight fork if you only cruise around the
local fireroads at weekends.

Paul wrote:
> A difficult question to answer, which to some extent
> depends on how 'mediocre' your current bike is. If you
> think you'd really appreciate the benefits of a more
> expensive model, and you're pretty happy with the rest of
> your bike, and you don't mind spending the money then you
> could consider spending more. On the otherhand, would the
> money be better spent replacing / upgrading other
> componentry on your bike? Also, remember to take all the
> marketing hype out there with a pinch of salt - don't get
> sucked in to spending your money on a plush lightweight
> fork if you only cruise around the local fireroads at
> weekends.

My bike's a Giant Boulder (insert numbers and letters here).
Comes with an RST front fork, Alivio shifters / levers, no
name V-brakes, boggo Shimano front mech and an Alivio rear
mech, and a replaceable mech hanger, which you tend not to
get on the really basic bikes. Probably £300 - £400 or so
new. It's now got XT shifters / levers after I smashed the
Alivios up and found some cheap. Aluminium frame by the way.

I'm happy with the components on the bike, TBH I'll look to
save weight when I'm light enough to suggest that the bike's
weight might be making any difference to my riding ;). I've
got some LX V brakes to stick on it knocking around too.
Anyway, what I'm unsure of is if the frame is worth
upgrading. For all I know, Giant might use the same frame on
6 different bikes and just change the components. OTOH, the
frame might a POS. Anyone got any ideas?

Doki wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel
>> Super here:
>>
>> http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/produ-
>> ct_121940.shtml
>>
>> Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention
>> though.
>
> Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more
> than my bike cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a
> mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?

Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to
upgrade parts one-by-one, unless it is over a period of
several years...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> I'm happy with the components on the bike, TBH I'll look
> to save weight when I'm light enough to suggest that the
> bike's weight might be making any difference to my riding
> ;). I've got some LX V brakes to stick on it knocking
> around too. Anyway, what I'm unsure of is if the frame is
> worth upgrading. For all I know, Giant might use the same
> frame on 6 different bikes and just change the components.
> OTOH, the frame might a POS. Anyone got any ideas?

The bike to upgrade up is the Iguana. The new bike will be
more dialed-in and will be stiffer than your current frame.

Bottom line is, upgrading is usually a bad idea unless
you're short on cash or other similar circumstances.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> There are quite a few comments on the '03 Manitou Axel
>>> Super here:
>>>
>>> http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_front_shocks/prod-
>>> uct_121940.shtml
>>>
>>> Nothing there on the particular Marzocchi you mention
>>> though.
>>
>> Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more
>> than my bike cost me. Would fitting a good fork to a
>> mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?
>

> Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade
> parts one-by-one, unless it is over a period of several
> years...

What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and
shitty or something vaguely solid? I'd prefer something
that'll last a while rather than be ultra flash.

Doki wrote:
> ZeeExSixAre wrote:
>> Doki wrote:

>>> Mmm. Sounds good. OTOH, all the decent forks cost more
>>> than my bike cost me. Would fitting a good fork to
>>> a mediocre bike be A Bad Thing?
>>

>> Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to upgrade
>> parts one-by-one, unless it is over a period of several
>> years...
>
> What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and
> shitty or something vaguely solid? I'd prefer something
> that'll last a while rather than be ultra flash.

Replace it with the level of bike that you think you need
and consider its price. I bought an XTC2 last year, have
been riding it for a while, and now I'm going to sell it
and buy an STP2 because it's suited for the type of riding
I'll be doing.

Always upgrade - don't downgrade.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>> ZeeExSixAre wrote:
>
>>> Yes - a new bike is always cheaper to buy than to
>>> upgrade parts one-by-one, unless it is over a period of
>>> several years...
>>
>> What would you replace it with then? Something cheap and
>> shitty or something vaguely solid? I'd prefer something
>> that'll last a while rather than be ultra flash.
>
> Replace it with the level of bike that you think you need
> and consider its price. I bought an XTC2 last year, have
> been riding it for a while, and now I'm going to sell it
> and buy an STP2 because it's suited for the type of riding
> I'll be doing.
>
> Always upgrade - don't downgrade.

I meant the fork, not the bike. I'm not going to replace the
bike for a good while yet. I seriously doubt it's holding me
back in any way, as I'm not what you'd called skilled :).
The bike isn't getting swapped until I've the cash for a
good one, and I feel like I *need* it.