Cheapskate needs a new bike!

Portland Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Hi all,

I know you all probably get these questions all the time, but I'm on the market for a new bike and need some advice. I'll outline my situation.

I got made redundant about 3 weeks ago and have just moved into the middle of nowhere, had a company car so I'm a bit stuck. I did have a bike but had a bit of an accident with the dumb thing a short while back and haven't replaced it yet. My dad is a bit of a loon and keeps trying to palm me off with knackered old bikes that I keep injuring myself on, so I've decided to ignore him and buy a new bike. Only problem is, without a steady income, I can't afford to spend a fortune on one.

So I'm on the cheap market for a half decent road bike. Not too bothere about weight and obviously I'd prefer as many gears as possible.

I've looked on the Halfords website just to see what they've got and they've got a 14-speed Apollo TDF for £199. Seen a couple of other Raleighs and various makes for around the same price and up to about £300.

Can anyone advise me on the best deals around these prices or what I should be looking for (other than a job! I'm onto it!)?

Cheers all,

Kristian