cheapskate parts help???

rossoreduk

Oct 10, 2003
Hey so i was wandering about minding my own business when the opportunity to buy a bike at a silly price presented itself. So who was i to pass it buy?

I picked up a vintage Raleigh racer in red for a measly £5. Careful scrutiny of the frame lead me to conclude it was slap bang right size too.

The only thing is, the rear der, front der and chainset r old and not up to par and so im requesting a lil help. Where do i get some new cheapy parts? what brands do i look for? I dont wanna fork out for Shimano or Campy? This is just something i intend to pass on soon so i dont wanna spend my money on it.

What does one do?

Originally posted by rossoreduk
This is just something i intend to pass on soon so i dont wanna spend my money on it.

What does one do?
So why did you buy it? What you might need depends on what you have, and vintage raliegh doesn't provide much info. If it's friction shifting, almost any RE will work,but that depends on it having a real hanger.. Same for the front if it's a road double,but match the seattube diameter clamp.. Chainrings may be an easier fix than replacing a crank(need to now bolt pattern and BCD),since that would likely involve a new BB to match the crank. There is alot of lower end junk sold on ebay.Sometimes LBS has boxes of old take off stuff for cheap.

Originally posted by rossoreduk
Hey so i was wandering about minding my own business when the opportunity to buy a bike at a silly price presented itself. So who was i to pass it buy?

I picked up a vintage Raleigh racer in red for a measly £5. Careful scrutiny of the frame lead me to conclude it was slap bang right size too.

The only thing is, the rear der, front der and chainset r old and not up to par and so im requesting a lil help. Where do i get some new cheapy parts? what brands do i look for? I dont wanna fork out for Shimano or Campy? This is just something i intend to pass on soon so i dont wanna spend my money on it.

What does one do?

In this country there are a lot of vintage Raleigh enthusiasts you might sell to if you're not inclined to restore yourself. Not sure how popular that is in UK nor how easy it is/isn't for you to get restoration parts, but you might look at enthusiast groups for part sources or buyers.