cheater question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark, Aug 5, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20 carbs
    a day. I have lost 6 pounds.

    When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    Just looking for some feedback.

    Tags:

  2. TheVicar

    TheVicar Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20 carbs
    >a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    >
    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

    you're doomed. if you cant do it without cheating its not going to work.
    you're better off counting calories and playing with minusing out exercise
    calories to allow for that pizza. Atkins relies on a very specific chemical
    reaction to make it work...cheating will ensure that your body never gets in
    ketosis and therefore the diet will not work. i suspect your 6 pound loss is
    due to a calorie deficit...so congratulations.

  3. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20

    carbs
    > a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    >
    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

    The number of calories in the metamucil would be added to the total, and
    then deducted. Metamucil has calories, but we can't digest them. So, if you
    ate a 300 calorie slice of pizza, and drank 3 rounded tsp. of the fiber with
    water, the total calories would come to 360. Then the fiber would be
    deducted from the total, giving you the same 300 calories you started with.
    Since the calories from the fiber can't be digested, it is first added, and
    then taken back out to get to "net carbs". Kind of tricky, eh?
    Calories In Metamucil
    http://www.metamucil.com/products/meta_sugarfree_powders.shtml

    I think the food manufactures are betting on the confusion of how it is
    deducted, and hoping people believe that for every gram of extra fiber that
    is consumed, 1 extra gram of carbs can be deducted.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?

    The carbs for the Metamucil would be added in and then the carbs for its
    fiber subtracted. It's only some of the carbs from the metamucil that
    would be negated. The pizza carbs would still be there. Fiber is carb.

    Priscilla

  5. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    The math may not be what you think. You would take the 100 carbs of the
    pizza and add the 30 carbs of multiple metamucil.
    Total: 130

    The pizza probably has some fiber, lets take a guess at 10.

    You add the pizza fiber to the metamucil:
    10 + 30 = 40

    You can now deduct the 40 fiber carbs from the 130 pizza metamucil combo:
    130 - 40 = 90 net carbs

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20

    carbs
    > a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    >
    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

  6. That's exactly why you'll stay fat.

    --
    If the price of stupid ever goes up, I claim drilling rights to this guy's
    head. -- MFW

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20 carbs
    >a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    >
    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

  7. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs.

    Yes, on a per product basis.

    > So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?

    Nope. The pizza and fiber supplement
    are separate products to be considered
    individually.

    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

    There is no magic food or supplement
    that has more fiber than total carbs.
    Total carbs - fiber = net carbs
    --

  8. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around 20 carbs
    > a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    >
    > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the fiber to
    > reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and take some
    > Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the carbs?
    > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the ground and I
    > jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    > Just looking for some feedback.

    Sounds like you have no understanding of food in the stomach.

    I am sorry to see such poor thinking.

    According to your line of thinking, you could eat potatos and straw, and
    the fiber in the straw would cancel out the carbohydrate calories in the
    potatos.

    You are still going to digest the potatos..... and those calories from
    carbohydrates still count.

    So, eating straw does not cancel out the carbohydrates of potatos.

    Nor does Metamucil.

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    jbuch <[email protected]_HERE.revealed.net> wrote:
    :> Mark wrote:
    :> > I am ending the 2nd week on Atkins and I do my best to stay around
    :> > 20 carbs a day. I have lost 6 pounds.
    :> >
    :> > When calculating the carbs in a food product you can deduct the
    :> > fiber to reach the net carbs. So in theory could I eat a pizza and
    :> > take some Metamucil to up the fiber content and negate some of the
    :> > carbs?
    :> > Sounds a little like, if the elevator is hurtling toward the
    :> > ground and I jump just before it bottoms out I won't get hurt.
    :> > Just looking for some feedback.
    :> >
    :> >
    :>
    :>
    :> Sounds like you have no understanding of food in the stomach.
    :>
    :> I am sorry to see such poor thinking.
    :>
    :>
    :> According to your line of thinking, you could eat potatos and straw,
    :> and
    :> the fiber in the straw would cancel out the carbohydrate calories in
    :> the potatos.
    :>
    :> You are still going to digest the potatos..... and those calories
    :> from carbohydrates still count.
    :>
    :> So, eating straw does not cancel out the carbohydrates of potatos.
    :>
    :> Nor does Metamucil.

    Seems as if you're (and others) are being harsh on this poor newbie at
    LC....face it, the business about carbs and net carbs is (can be) confusing.
    It's a bit more complicated than just saying eat low fat. Not only that,
    this question has been asked by many others here before now, and will no
    doubt be asked again, and again.

    And most people have poor understanding of food in the stomach.

  10. Ah...would that it were so.
    Sadly....it aint just the carbs in the pizza---it's that those carbs
    come from the suga in the tomato sauce and the white flour in the
    crust---might as well eat a slab of sugar.

    You're only ending your second week, and if you've been eating any white
    flour/white sugar at all, then you probably still have cravings. The
    only way to get past those craving is to break the addiction cycle----by
    NOT eating ANY flour/sugar.

    There's nothing wrong with the pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese! To be
    successful at LCing, you just gotta accept it---you cannot eat the two
    evil goodies.

    The good news is....in a very short time without them, you WILL stop
    craving them.

    When you consider that the rest of the entire spectrum of food is open
    to you....the giving up of these two items isnt such a bad deal. The
    time will come when you can enjoy some corn on the cob, even a serving
    of potatoes on occasion. But you gotta say "adios" to the two foods
    that trigger the desire for MORE-- flour and sugar.

    We're not kidding when we say, "addiction". It's a literal fact. Just as
    the person who quits smoking can never "have just one",

    Forget the pizza. However....spreading a handful of pepperoni slices on
    a saucer, covering them with grated cheese, mushrooms, some parm, some
    oregano and nuking or heating in the over doesnt suck. Not by a long
    shot. Toss on a few crushed red pepper flakes....man, who needs the
    sauce and crust?

    The beauty part of LCing is, there's almost nothing you cant find a LC
    sub for.

    Hang in there---

    5-16-05 202/182/162