Check out this Colnago article on Cheap Carbon Fiber!!

Roach11 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2005/colnago.php

Downright scary... I wonder what frames/forks those other brands are?
Interesting article, thanks. Have seen the press release from Colnago announcing the move of the mid-range production to the Taiwan A-Team group, and like the fact Ernesto Colnago is up-front about sourcing.

Don't know about brand names, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that there are differences in the quality of CF frames and forks. It's easy to shop just on lightweight and price, while strength, durability and quality is hard to assess.

But Colnago CF frame and forks will break in a crash. I saw a crash at a criterium where a guy broke his Colnago's fork. He wasn't injured but his fork broke in half. So much for high quality Colnago CF.

JTE83 said:
But Colnago CF frame and forks will break in a crash. I saw a crash at a criterium where a guy broke his Colnago's fork. He wasn't injured but his fork broke in half. So much for high quality Colnago CF.

Dude... any Carbon fork will bust given enough force / impact on collision. I've seen Kestral carbon fork bust before.... and I'm sure several other carbon forks out there have busted since the early 1990's

So much for high quality Colnago CF :confused: :rolleyes: :)

JTE83 said:
Agree with Adam that everything CF can break in a crash. Didn't mean to imply that Colnago makes the world's strongest or best CF fork, or that they had any advantage over other name brands like Reynolds, Easton, Kestrel etc.

The same crash likely would have broken any of these top name forks, but who knows? A 3-lb fork of 4130 steel may have survived the same crash fine, or with a bend that could be straightened, but few of us want to ride those anymore.

"I am the first Italian who has officially decided to move part of my production to Taiwan."

That´s just hilarious

mrowkoob said:
"I am the first Italian who has officially decided to move part of my production to Taiwan."

That´s just hilarious

It is kinda funny... considering over the last 50 years, Colnago has built up such a knarly/awesome reputation.. in producing high end track/road/ heck even MTB framesets ......... then moving a large chunk of its manufacturing of framesets to Taiwan (obviously in an effort to Produce MORE.... and thus increase yearly profits :eek: :confused: ) I have also noticed that Colnago has STOPPED production of a full STEEL frameset(as of either 2004/5)... so no more Master Lights/Olympics , Technos, etc. :(

Could a tried/true frame builders reputation go down the tubes in a 2-10 year time frame , if these Taiwan frames have a high failure rate (in comparison to "Frames sold in the USA / Canada") ??? Only time will tell.

Is this a move by Ernesto to rake in as much profits in the coming years... and be able to retire w/ a hairum of fine Italian ladies in his final years :confused: ..... not sure exactly- however, I am Italian... and IF I was Ernesto.... in my 60's + ....... a business man , I may be very well contemplete the same plight in my final years on this planet .

I've been a proud Colnago owner since late 1997 .... when I bought one of there framesets from a Canadian distributer. The frame I purchased Colnago only produced for 2 years 1996/7 . Come to find out in 1998 , the frame I purchased Colnago STOPPED production of this frame due to : being overly too costly to produce / too much time needed to weld the frame + cost of materials - to the reap much "profits" from its production ;)

I do still own this Colnago frame.... however I've contemplated selling it(due to it not fitting me 100% .... I can ride the bike, and make it work for me... but its just not a perfect fit for me). Its destiny is not clear.

I wish Colnago good fortunes with this decision Ernesto has made for his company - however, if I was a betting man... I'd say in 2-4 years, Ernesto may very well see a decline in quality at that Tiawan plant..... then have to revamp his companies aim in the coming years (as an older person.. you should not have to make compromises like this in life.... just live - be happy , and enjoy all the greatness you've already attained in life- and revel in how much joy you've brought to others lives ). :)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Dude... any Carbon fork will bust given enough force / impact on collision. I've seen Kestral carbon fork bust before.... and I'm sure several other carbon forks out there have busted since the early 1990's

So much for high quality Colnago CF :confused: :rolleyes: :)

I am happy enough with cheaper Giant CF bikes. I think Giant has good enough quality. I crashed at 19 mph into a car that went into my path and my Giant CF fork didn't break. Anyway, I don't like or believe in buying anything Colnago. If I had to get a real expensive CF bike I would get the CF Cervelo Soloist Team, but I'm already happy with my Kestrel Talon.

I believe the only frames that will be made in Taiwan are the lower end models like the Primavers. I can't see any carbon frames being made there (yet):( .

I have seen a broken carbon Giant frame and it looked like the 3rd forken fork in the link. It all comes down do price and what you like I guess, personally when I am screaming down a hill at 80+ Km/hr I want to be sure of my equipment.

Adam-from-SLO said:
It is kinda funny... considering over the last 50 years, Colnago has built up such a knarly/awesome reputation.. in producing high end track/road/ heck even MTB framesets ......... then moving a large chunk of its manufacturing of framesets to Taiwan (obviously in an effort to Produce MORE.... and thus increase yearly profits :eek: :confused: ) I have also noticed that Colnago has STOPPED production of a full STEEL frameset(as of either 2004/5)... so no more Master Lights/Olympics , Technos, etc. :(

Could a tried/true frame builders reputation go down the tubes in a 2-10 year time frame , if these Taiwan frames have a high failure rate (in comparison to "Frames sold in the USA / Canada") ??? Only time will tell.

Is this a move by Ernesto to rake in as much profits in the coming years... and be able to retire w/ a hairum of fine Italian ladies in his final years :confused: ..... not sure exactly- however, I am Italian... and IF I was Ernesto.... in my 60's + ....... a business man , I may be very well contemplete the same plight in my final years on this planet .

I've been a proud Colnago owner since late 1997 .... when I bought one of there framesets from a Canadian distributer. The frame I purchased Colnago only produced for 2 years 1996/7 . Come to find out in 1998 , the frame I purchased Colnago STOPPED production of this frame due to : being overly too costly to produce / too much time needed to weld the frame + cost of materials - to the reap much "profits" from its production ;)

I do still own this Colnago frame.... however I've contemplated selling it(due to it not fitting me 100% .... I can ride the bike, and make it work for me... but its just not a perfect fit for me). Its destiny is not clear.

I wish Colnago good fortunes with this decision Ernesto has made for his company - however, if I was a betting man... I'd say in 2-4 years, Ernesto may very well see a decline in quality at that Tiawan plant..... then have to revamp his companies aim in the coming years (as an older person.. you should not have to make compromises like this in life.... just live - be happy , and enjoy all the greatness you've already attained in life- and revel in how much joy you've brought to others lives ). :)
Believe that Colnago is confident the frames from Taiwan will be at least as good a quality as anything they can produce in Italy. In fact, I'd say it's likely the Taiwan plant produces fewer defects than his little operation in the old country. After all, their volume and efficiency allows them the profits needed to invest in the latest and greatest automated process-control equipment. It's hard for "Fatto a mano" to compete with that.

He's made a tough business decision, just like Trek and other major brands have done, but he's done it in public. Believe mrowkoob was hitting the point that the other italians are most likely using Taiwan-sourced tubesets and CF frames/forks, etc, but just not telling anyone. EG, where are Columbus tubesets and fork/stays made?

dhk said:
Believe that Colnago is confident the frames from Taiwan will be at least as good a quality as anything they can produce in Italy. In fact, I'd say it's likely the Taiwan plant produces fewer defects than his little operation in the old country. After all, their volume and efficiency allows them the profits needed to invest in the latest and greatest automated process-control equipment. It's hard for "Fatto a mano" to compete with that.

He's made a tough business decision, just like Trek and other major brands have done, but he's done it in public. Believe mrowkoob was hitting the point that the other italians are most likely using Taiwan-sourced tubesets and CF frames/forks, etc, but just not telling anyone. EG, where are Columbus tubesets and fork/stays made?

Good points. So... where is Columbus(steel?) tubesets / forks being made ?? :confused: Also, it is a good thing Ernesto was up front about out-sourcing to Taiwan for some of his framesets.... Do you think Pinarello out-sources to Taiwan ??

I guess I could see Ernesto using the Taiwan plant in producing strickly Aluminum frames ..... but that is about it. However, I have a funny feeling that they will probably be producing a low-end full Carbon frameset.... for about 1/3 .. or 1/2 of what a C-40 or C-50 goes for :eek:

So what's the problem? I've been on two Treks and one Giant that were A Team produced, and they were all very good bikes. Tried out a Felt that was Taiwan produced, might have been A Team as well, and it was very well built.

Colnago's real strength isn't so much in the actual construction as the design and oversight. He isn't going to put his name on a piece of rubbish, never has. And like Trek, he probably won't move his crown jewels to Taiwan production.

As much as I admire the craftsmanship of high end Italian machinery, their low end stuff has never been particularly impressive. A Ferrari made in Taiwan would be a travesty. A Fiat made in Taiwan would be an improvement.

Adam-from-SLO said:
However, I have a funny feeling that they will probably be producing a low-end full Carbon frameset.... for about 1/3 .. or 1/2 of what a C-40 or C-50 goes for :eek:
Not after that Colnago decal gets put on it! The production cost will be a lot lower but I doubt Colnago would want to dilute the brand by selling anything at a low price after spending years building it to the point he can get such a whopping premium.

Adam-from-SLO said:
I'd say in 2-4 years, Ernesto may very well see a decline in quality at that Tiawan plant.
I have to say that I agree with many who regard the Taiwanese manufacturers, particularly the Giant consortium, as having been amongst the best mass production frame makers in the world for some time in all but the most expensive market levels, and I'm not convinced that they are behind there either.
The boutique frame makers sell cachet without clear evidence of additional quality except, perhaps, in their flagship ranges. Could I venture to say that I am pleased that Colnago frames are about to undergo a quality upgrade (tongue somewhat in cheek)?