Checking Ti welds

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Gilbert, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Has anyone investigated using X-rays to check the weld quality on titanium frames? Is that a viable
    method, or is there a better way?

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:48:20 -0600, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone investigated using X-rays to check the weld quality on titanium frames? Is that a viable
    >method, or is there a better way?
    >
    >Bruce

    It is one of the standard ways ... though there are lots ...

    Radiographic (X-Ray) Ultra sonic, and eddy current tests common but visual "colour change" style
    tests are considered good enough for some apps...

    Stick +testing +titanium +radiography +welds +NDT in google, it will give you many hits... most are
    rather esoteric... but you will quickly get an idea for want is and is not going on

  3. Dion Dock

    Dion Dock Guest

    Why just TI welds? Are steel and aluminum welds checked too?

    -Dion

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone investigated using X-rays to check the weld quality on titanium frames? Is that a
    > viable method, or is there a better way?
    >
    > Bruce

  4. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:21:53 GMT, ajames54 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:48:20 -0600, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone investigated using X-rays to check the weld quality on titanium frames? Is that a
    >>viable method, or is there a better way?
    >>
    >>Bruce
    >>
    > It is one of the standard ways ... though there are lots ...

    Damn looks like I'm flunking reading comprehension... ... I would be surprised if any bike builder
    X-Rays ... it is a very expensive process and for bikes ...

    I would hope that (as a minimum) a few frames were tested when fixtures or suppliers changed, and I
    would expect those tests to be either ultra sonic or eddy current... But I would suspect that visual
    inspection is as good as it gets for most of the production run...

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone investigated using X-rays to check the weld quality on titanium frames? Is that a
    > viable method, or is there a better way?

    At SR-Sakae, for example, every single cast and every single forged crank and stem got a fluoroscope
    inspection. After investing in plastic-conveyor material handlers through the XRay, you've got to
    run a remote display ( so your staff isn't directly adjacent to the XRay source) then you need
    dual-inspectors ( because humans can't look for spots for a full 8-hour shift effectively, c.f. Pap
    smear reading) and some way to flag out the suspect ones.

    All that's a major commitment and we have to assume no one would bother unless there is a
    significant possibility of error and also that we can reduce that incidence of error
    significantly after the capital cost and continuing operations cost. Quite a complex problem of
    cost anaylsis IMHO.

    This is the only similar case I know of in the industry but I was pretty close to SR management.
    Anyone know of another similar system?