cheesecake

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kathy Spies, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Kathy Spies

    Kathy Spies Guest

    I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first cheesecake yesterday and
    although it came out OK it didn't come like I hoped it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy
    flavor of New York Style cheesecake and i'm not sure why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup sugar,
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the filling. I've noticed some
    recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?

    --
    Kathy

    Tags:

  2. Yes, the sour cream does make a difference in the cheesecake. I bake and sell about 30 cheesecakes a
    week. NY Style, Double Chocolate Dreamsicle, Grasshopper, Turtle, Mocha Bourbon Pecan Pie
    Cheesecake, Amerretto, and many, many more. All of them have variables of cream cheese, eggs and
    sour cream.

    --
    Jim Owner Camelot Bakery and Kitchens "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy
    and taste good with ketchup" camelot [email protected]

    "KATHY SPIES" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first cheesecake yesterday and
    > although it came out OK it didn't come like I
    hoped
    > it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style cheesecake and i'm not sure
    > why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup
    sugar,
    > 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the filling. I've noticed some
    > recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Kathy

  3. Howard Dean

    Howard Dean Guest

    "KATHY SPIES" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first cheesecake yesterday and
    > although it came out OK it didn't come like I
    hoped
    > it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style cheesecake and i'm not sure
    > why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup
    sugar,
    > 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the filling. I've noticed some
    > recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Kathy

    Sour cream is essential for that New York Cheesecake flavor. With these guidelines you can make any
    amount of filling you want. The ratios are for every pound of cream cheese: Pinch of salt
    3/4 cup sugar,
    4/4 teaspoon lemon juice,
    5/4 teaspoon vanilla 3 tablespoons sour cream One egg yolk Two whole eggs

    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  4. Karen

    Karen Guest

    "KATHY SPIES" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just joined this newsgroup and I have a question. I made my first cheesecake yesterday and
    > although it came out OK it didn't come like I
    hoped
    > it would. It didn't have that thick cheesy flavor of New York Style cheesecake and i'm not sure
    > why. I used 19 oz of cream cheese, 1 cup
    sugar,
    > 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 eggs for the filling. I've noticed some
    > recipes call for sour cream. Is that what was missing for the effect I wanted? Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Kathy

    Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very dense-yet-creamy consistency
    - it might be what you're looking for. Some NY cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one
    doesn't. Some people prefer the added tang of sour cream, so your best bet is to experiment to see
    which type of cheesecake appeals to you.

    I've made this recipe countless times, so it's tried-and-true. :)

    Karen

    Junior's Cheesecake From "The New York Cookbook" by Molly O'Neill

    1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch 30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages)
    cream cheese, softened 1 large egg
    3/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
    4/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

    5. Preheat the oven to 350°. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 8-inch springform pan.
    Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with the graham cracker crumbs and refrigerate the pan.

    6. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the cornstarch. Beat in the cream cheese. Beat in the egg.
    Slowly drizzle in the heavy cream, beating constantly. Add the vanilla and stir well. Pour the
    mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden, 40 to 45 min. Cool in the pan on a
    wire rack for 3 hrs.

    Serves 8 to 10

  5. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s04...

    > Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very dense-yet-creamy
    > consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some
    NY
    > cheesecakes do indeed contain sour cream; this one doesn't. Some people prefer the added tang of
    > sour cream, so your best bet is to experiment to see which type of cheesecake appeals to you.
    >
    > I've made this recipe countless times, so it's tried-and-true. :)
    >
    > Karen
    >
    > Junior's Cheesecake From "The New York Cookbook" by Molly O'Neill
    >
    > 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
    > 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch 30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages)
    > cream cheese, softened 1 large egg
    > 1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
    > 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

    This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny thought, the recipe that I
    use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is different than the one you posted. The one in their
    cookbook has a sponge cake base, two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially
    the same amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for Christmas" thread a
    couple of days ago.

  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Karen wrote:

    > Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very dense-yet-creamy
    > consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some NY cheesecakes do indeed contain sour
    > cream; this one doesn't.

    Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy cheesecake ... not that dry New York style
    cheesecake. Say what??? How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake?? Liquid
    cheesecake you drink from a glass?

    (laugh) nancy

  7. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Camelot Bakery wrote:

    > Yes, the sour cream does make a difference in the cheesecake. I bake and sell about 30 cheesecakes
    > a week. NY Style, Double Chocolate Dreamsicle, Grasshopper, Turtle, Mocha Bourbon Pecan Pie
    > Cheesecake, Amerretto, and many, many more. All of them have variables of cream cheese, eggs and
    > sour cream.

    What's the maximum amount of Sour Cream you can add to the Cheesecake and still keep it as dense as
    possible?... The last time I added Sour Cream the cake turned out way to creamy...

    ~john!

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  8. Peter Lucas

    Peter Lucas Guest

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Karen wrote:
    >
    >> Here's the recipe for Junior's New York cheesecake. It's got that very dense-yet-creamy
    >> consistency - it might be what you're looking for. Some NY cheesecakes do indeed contain sour
    >> cream; this one doesn't.
    >
    > Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy cheesecake ... not that dry New York style
    > cheesecake. Say what??? How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake?? Liquid
    > cheesecake you drink from a glass?
    >
    > (laugh) nancy

    How about as creamy as .............

    Khalua Cheesecake

    Crust: 1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (or any chocolate biscuit crumbs you prefer)
    1/4 Cup butter, softened 1 Tbs. sugar

    Filling: 1 1/2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate pieces (I used 300g of milk chocolate buttons)
    2/4 cup Kahlua (I ended up using about ¾ cup :) 2 Tbs. Butter 2 eggs, beaten
    3/3 cup sugar
    4/4 tsp. Salt 1 cup Sour cream (250g) 2 x 8 oz.(250g) pkgs. cream cheese, softened and cut
    into pieces

    In a small bowl mix together wafer crumbs, butter, and sugar and press firmly in a 9" (22cm)
    spring form pan.

    Preheat oven to 350 deg. (180 Celsius)

    In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt chocolate with Kahlua and butter. Stir until smooth.
    Set aside.

    In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar and salt. Add sour cream and blend well. Add cream cheese to
    egg mixture and beat until smooth. Gradually blend in chocolate mixture. Turn into prepared crust.

    Bake 35 min. or until filling is barely set in center. Turn off heat, and let stand in oven for 15
    minutes with door open. Then take out of oven and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

    Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

    You can garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. I used 70% cocoa chocolate from Lindt for
    the shavings. The bitterness of that offset the cheesecake beautifully :)

    --

    Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

    The other day I went to the local religious book store where I saw a "Honk if you really love Jesus"
    bumper sticker. I bought it and put it on the back bumper of my car, and I'm glad I did. What an
    uplifting experience followed.

    Stopped at the light of a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord and didn't
    notice that the light had changed. That bumper sticker really worked! I found lots of people who
    love Jesus.

    Why, the guy behind me started to honk like crazy. He must really love the Lord because pretty soon
    he leaned out his window and yelled, "Jesus Christ!" as loud as he could. Why, it was like a
    football game with him shouting, "Go, Jesus Christ, Go!" Everyone else started honking, so I leaned
    out my window and waved and smiled to all those loving people.

    There must have been a guy from Florida back there because I could hear him yelling something about
    a sunny beach, and I saw him waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air.
    I had recently asked my two grandsons what that meant. They kind of squirmed, looked at each other,
    giggled, and told me that it was the Hawaiian good luck sign, so I leaned out the window and gave
    him the good luck sign back.

    A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars
    and were walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray, but just then I noticed that the light had
    changed, and I stepped on the gas. It's a good thing I did, because I was the only car to get across
    the intersection. I looked back at them standing there. I leaned out the window, gave them a big
    smile, and held up the Hawaiian Good Luck sign as I drove away.

  9. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy cheesecake ... not that dry New York style
    > cheesecake. Say what??? How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake?? Liquid
    > cheesecake you drink from a glass?

    I thought New York Cheesecake was more dense than creamy?

    ~john!

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  10. Karen

    Karen Guest

    "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny thought, the recipe that I
    > use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is
    different
    > than the one you posted. The one in their cookbook has a sponge cake
    base,
    > two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially the
    same
    > amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for Christmas" thread a couple
    > of days ago.

    Junior's had more than one kind of cheesecake, hence the different recipes. I started making the
    simpler one and have stayed with it because it always goes over so well. I've been very tempted
    to try the sponge cake base recipe because it looks so darned good, but the sponge cake adds a
    lot of carbs (I'm diabetic). I can use Splenda in my recipe, leaving off the crust, for a great
    low-carb version.

    Karen

  11. Karen

    Karen Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Someone once posted here asking for a recipe for creamy cheesecake ... not that dry New York style
    > cheesecake. Say what??? How much creamier can you get than New York style cheesecake?? Liquid
    > cheesecake you drink from a glass?
    >
    > (laugh) nancy

    Hmmm...you might be onto something here, Nancy: Cheesecake milkshake?? This might be the start of a
    new fad! :)

    Actually, I've had really lousy so-called "New York style" cheesecake that is crumbly (OK, dry), so
    maybe that other poster had also gotten an inferior cheesecake. Different brands of cream cheese
    produce different results. I've found that if I use Philadelphia brand cream cheese, the texture is
    perfect. Last week I used Borden's cream cheese (it was on sale) to make a cheesecake using the same
    recipe I always use, and it was like rubber. So all cream cheese is not equal, as I found out.

    Karen

  12. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > This is my favorite cheesecake and it always turns out perfect. Funny thought, the recipe that I
    > > use is from Junior's Cookbook and it is
    > different
    > > than the one you posted. The one in their cookbook has a sponge cake
    > base,
    > > two eggs instead of one, more cream and more sugar and essentially the
    > same
    > > amount of cream cheese. I posted the recipe in the "What to serve for Christmas" thread a couple
    > > of days ago.
    > >

    > Junior's had more than one kind of cheesecake, hence the different
    recipes.
    > I started making the simpler one and have stayed with it because it always goes over so well. I've
    > been very tempted to try the sponge cake base recipe because it looks so darned good, but the
    > sponge cake adds a lot of carbs (I'm diabetic). I can use Splenda in my recipe, leaving off the
    > crust, for a great low-carb version.

    Interesting. I wouldn't expect a crumb crust to have less carbs than a sponge layer.

  13. Karen

    Karen Guest

    "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Interesting. I wouldn't expect a crumb crust to have less carbs than a sponge layer.

    I think you misunderstood my response - here's what I said: "I can use Splenda in my recipe,
    **leaving off the crust**, for a great low-carb version." To clarify: I omit the graham cracker
    crust when I make cheesecake for myself.

    Actually, the graham crackers provide really just a dusting rather than a true crust, so I'm
    probably not saving that many carbs, but it makes me feel like I'm being good if I leave that part
    out of the recipe... :)

    Karen

  14. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Double Chocolate Dreamsicle,

    Can you post the recipe for this ... sounds wonderful! ~Kat

    "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  15. Double Chocolate Cheesecake

    Crust: 2 Cups Oreo Cookies- crushed
    1/2 Cup Butter Filling: 24 Ounces Cream Cheese- softened 1 Cup Sugar 5 Eggs 1 Cup Cream Cheese 2
    Squares Bittersweet Chocolate 5 Squares SemiSweet Chocolate

    Melt chocolates in double boiler and let cool. Mix cookie crumbs and butter and press into ungreased
    10-inch springform pan. Mix together cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing them
    good with the mixture. Mix in sour cream. Slowly add chocolate to mixture. Pour into springform pan.
    Bake in preheated oven @325F for 1 1/2 hours or until center is firm. Take a sharp knife and run
    around the edge of the pan, loosening the edges and allow to cool for one hour in the oven with the
    door slightly open. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 12 hours.

    Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

    --
    Jim Owner Camelot Bakery and Kitchens "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy
    and taste good with ketchup" [email protected]

    "Jarkat2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m06.aol.com...
    > >Double Chocolate Dreamsicle,
    >
    > Can you post the recipe for this ... sounds wonderful! ~Kat
    >

    > "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet
    if I
    > were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be
    classified
    > and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  16. Gigi

    Gigi Guest

    "Camelot Bakery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Double Chocolate Cheesecake
    >
    > Crust: 2 Cups Oreo Cookies- crushed
    > 1/2 Cup Butter Filling: 24 Ounces Cream Cheese- softened 1 Cup Sugar 5 Eggs 1 Cup Cream Cheese 2
    > Squares Bittersweet Chocolate 5 Squares SemiSweet Chocolate
    >
    > Melt chocolates in double boiler and let cool. Mix cookie crumbs and butter and press into
    > ungreased 10-inch springform pan. Mix together cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs one at a time,
    > mixing them good with the mixture. Mix in sour cream. Slowly add chocolate to mixture. Pour into
    > springform pan. Bake in preheated oven @325F for 1 1/2 hours or until center is firm. Take a sharp
    > knife and run around the edge of the pan, loosening the edges and allow to cool for one hour in
    > the oven with the door slightly open. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 12 hours.
    >
    > Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
    >

    > --
    > Jim Owner Camelot Bakery and Kitchens "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art
    > crunchy and taste good with ketchup" [email protected]

    I think the second mention of Cream Cheese (1 cup) should be sour cream