Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by pearl, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. pearl

    pearl Guest

    Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood

    A record-setting billion pounds of shrimp was imported for seafood
    lovers in the United States in 2003, but most consumers don't realize
    where the popular food comes from, said Public Citizen today as it
    released another section of its Pharmed Shrimp Series. As part of its
    continuing public education campaign on imported farm-raised shrimp,
    the group again urged consumers to be cautious when buying and
    eating shrimp.

    The report, Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    is Part Three of the Pharmed Shrimp Report Series that documents
    the dangers of shrimp aquaculture.

    Links to the Report:

    Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp

    PDF Version
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/ShrimpImportsWeb.pdf

    Booklet PDF Version (your printer must print front and back)
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/ShrimpImportsBooklet.pdf

    Web (Html) Version
    http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12798

    Also visit our Pharmed Shrimp Report Series page to see other parts of the series.
    http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12707

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    >
    > A record-setting billion pounds of shrimp was imported for seafood
    > lovers in the United States in 2003, but most consumers don't realize
    > where the popular food comes from, said Public Citizen today as it
    > released another section of its Pharmed Shrimp Series. As part of its
    > continuing public education campaign on imported farm-raised shrimp,
    > the group again urged consumers to be cautious when buying and
    > eating shrimp.
    >
    > The report, Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    > is Part Three of the Pharmed Shrimp Report Series that documents
    > the dangers of shrimp aquaculture.
    >
    > Links to the Report:
    >
    > Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp
    >
    > PDF Version
    > http://www.citizen.org/documents/ShrimpImportsWeb.pdf
    >
    > Booklet PDF Version (your printer must print front and back)
    > http://www.citizen.org/documents/ShrimpImportsBooklet.pdf
    >
    > Web (Html) Version
    > http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12798
    >
    > Also visit our Pharmed Shrimp Report Series page to see other parts of the
    > series.
    > http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12707

    Thanks

    Links to use:

    http://www.kovr13.com/deweyrecipes/dr060998.htm

    Or

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_9576,00.html

    Don't forget

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1645,157186-228201,00.html

    And

    http://www.recipesource.com/soups/soups/okra-shrimp-gumbo1.html

    Like the man said, "entre menos burros, mas elotes"

    Dimitri

  3. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:16:11 -0000, "pearl" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    >
    >A record-setting billion pounds of shrimp was imported for seafood
    >lovers in the United States in 2003, but most consumers don't realize
    >where the popular food comes from, said Public Citizen today as it
    >released another section of its Pharmed Shrimp Series. As part of its
    >continuing public education campaign on imported farm-raised shrimp,
    >the group again urged consumers to be cautious when buying and
    >eating shrimp.
    >
    >The report, Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    >is Part Three of the Pharmed Shrimp Report Series that documents
    >the dangers of shrimp aquaculture.

    [Cross posts deleted]

    Yeah, but check out this story:
    http://www.usmsfp.org/news/headlinenews/10-15-saltwatergold.htm

    Some folks do it right, ya know.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  4. rmg

    rmg Guest

    "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The report, Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    > is Part Three of the Pharmed Shrimp Report Series that documents
    > the dangers of shrimp aquaculture.
    >
    > Links to the Report:
    >
    > Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp
    >
    > Web (Html) Version
    > http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12798

    If this is to have any impact at all it needs to be rewritten. I spent the
    requisite 45 seconds looking at the Web document and could find no
    justification, graphically or in specific words, for the claims that shrimp
    farming is bad for the environment or the product for the human body. Get to
    the point after all.

  5. pearl

    pearl Guest

    "rmg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > The report, Shrimp Stockpile: Importing America's Favorite Seafood
    > > is Part Three of the Pharmed Shrimp Report Series that documents
    > > the dangers of shrimp aquaculture.
    > >
    > > Links to the Report:
    > >
    > > Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp
    > >
    > > Web (Html) Version
    > > http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12798

    > If this is to have any impact at all it needs to be rewritten. I spent the
    > requisite 45 seconds looking at the Web document and could find no
    > justification, graphically or in specific words, for the claims that shrimp
    > farming is bad for the environment or the product for the human body. Get to
    > the point after all.

    Here you go..

    Shell Game:
    The Environmental and Social Impacts of Shrimp Aquaculture
    http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12521

    Chemical Cocktail: The Health Impacts of Eating Farm-Raised Shrimp
    http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/shrimp/articles.cfm?ID=12706

  6. TC

    TC Guest

    There is nothing in there about any chemicals or chemical cocktails
    other than the blankrt suggestion that there are chemicals in the
    waters and the shrimp.

    There is absolutely no data about which chemicals and in what amounts
    either in the waters or in the shrimp themselves. What chemicals
    exactly are they talking about? How much of these chemicals? What pond
    exactly contains what chemicals?

    If you make such suggestions, you'd better be able to provide the data
    that proves it.

    TC