Cherry Cake

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alanag01, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Alanag01

    Alanag01 Guest

    Does anyone happen to have a recipe that first appeared on a bag of flour (brand unknown) 30-40
    years ago. The cake is a white/yellow cake and has a can of sour cherries added. When the cake bakes
    the cherries sink to the bottom. You reserve the juice and reduce it with a few other ingredients
    and pour the sauce over the cake. I would just love to have this recipe. Can anyone help??

    Tags:

  2. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "AlanaG01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Does anyone happen to have a recipe that first appeared on a
    bag of flour
    : (brand unknown) 30-40 years ago. The cake is a white/yellow
    cake and has a can
    : of sour cherries added. When the cake bakes the cherries sink
    to the bottom.
    : You reserve the juice and reduce it with a few other
    ingredients and pour the
    : sauce over the cake. I would just love to have this recipe.
    Can anyone help??
    ==========

    Do any of these look like it?

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Title: CHERRY DREAM CAKE Categories: Cakes Yield: 12 servings

    2 c Cake flour, sifted 1 1/4 c Sugar 2 1/2 ts Baking powder 1 ts Salt
    1/2 c Shortening
    2/4 c Milk
    3/2 ts Lemon extract 1 1/2 ts Almond extract 3 Egg white; unbeaten 18 Cherry, maraschino*

    MMMMM-------------------CHERRY FLUFF FROSTING------------------------ 2 Egg white; unbeaten 1 1/2 c
    Sugar 5 T ;Water, cold
    4/2 ts Salt 1 ts Vanilla 2 Marshmallow; cut in eighths 1 ts Corn syrup, light

    *Drain cherries well, reserving juice; chop very finely.

    Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the mixing bowl. Drop in the shortening, add
    the milk, lemon extract, and almond extract and beat 200 strokes. Scrape the bowl and spoon often
    while mixing. Add egg whites and beat 250 strokes. Add the chopped cherries and blend. Bake in two
    greased and floured deep 8" layer cake pans at 350 F. for 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
    When cool, frost with Cherry Fluff Frosting.

    Cherry Fluff Frosting: Put egg whites, sugar, reserved cherry juice, corn syrup, and salt in the
    top of a double boiler and mix thoroughly. Place over rapidly boiling water and beat constantly
    with a rotary egg beater until the mixture will hold a peak (about seven minutes). Remove from hot
    water, add vanilla and almond extracts and marshmallows and beat until cool and thick enough to
    spread. Double the recipe to make enough frosting for the sides, too.

    10 Luscious New Cakes, n.d. from *Cakes Men Like* by Benjamin
    Darling---------------------------------- Newsgroups:
    rec.food.bakingDate: 2000/03/12 Chocolate Cherry Torte

    1 T. flour
    5/2 T. cocoa 2 c. sifted cake flour
    6/4 t. salt 2 t. baking powder
    6 (1oz.) bottle maraschino cherries
    7/2 c. butter 1 1/2 c. sugar 2 eggs 4 sq. sweetened chocolate (melted) 1 1/3 c. evaporated milk 2 t.
    red food coloring

    Combine 1 T. flour & cocoa. Lightly grease two 9" round layer cake pans; dust with flour/cocoa
    mixture. Sift together 2 c. cake flour, salt & baking powder. Set aside. Drain cherries, reserving
    juice. Chop cherries & set aside. Cream butter; gradually add sugar & blend until light and fluffy.
    Add eggs, chocolate, evaporated milk, reserved cherry juice and food coloring. Beat until smooth.
    Blend in dry ingredients. Fold in cherries. Bake in prepared pans in 350 degree F. oven for 25-30
    minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Carefully split cake layers. Put layers together and
    top with Devil's Cream. Reserve 1/2 c. to decorate top. Decorate with chocolate stars. Refrigerate
    to set Cream. Makes 12 servings.

    Devil's Creme

    Stir together 1/4 c. powdered chocolate drink mix, 1/4 c. sifted powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla & 2 c.
    heavy cream. Chill; whip until stiff.

    Karen Greene-----------------------And while I'm pretty sure this *isn't* what you were looking
    for... ! Newsgroups: rec.food.bakingDate: 1999/05/28 From www.cakerecipe.com
    -----------
    ----

    Thirty Day Friendship Cake This takes 30 days to prepare the fruit for the cake but it's worth it.
    It's delicious. If you are lucky a "friend" will give you 16 ounces of starter and a piece of cake
    so you won't have to go to all the trouble of preparing a starter. Once you have a starter, you can
    freeze it until It's used

    Ingredients: 1 pint friendship fruit starter
    7 (1ounce) can sliced peaches
    7 (2ounce) can of chunk pineapple
    7 (3ounce) jars of maraschino cherries
    7 (4.25 ounce) boxs butter cake mix
    7 (5serving size) vanilla instant pudding 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil 8 eggs 2 cups golden raisins 2
    cups chopped nuts 2 cups flaked coconut
    7 (6ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
    7 (7ounce) can apicots, drained
    7 (8ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
    7 (9ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained 1 1/4 cups brandy 6 3/4 cups white sugar

    Directions: 1 To Make Friendship Fruit Starter: Combine 1 can of the drained peach slices, 1 can
    of the drained apricot slices, 1 jar of the drained maraschino cherries, 1 (20 ounce) can of the
    drained pineapple, the brandy and 1 1/4 cups of the white sugar in clean, large glass jar. Stir
    gently with wooden spoon. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 3 weeks, stirring at least
    twice a week. If you are going to keep the starter going, keep at least 3 cups starter in jar at
    all times. 2 After the three weeks are up, you can begin making the cake: Day One: In a large
    glass jar or bowl combine 1 pint of the starter with 1 can of the sliced peaches and their juice
    (each slice chopped into 4 pieces). Add 2 1/2 cups of the white sugar and stir every day for 10
    days. When not stirring mixture keep it covered with a paper towel, foil, or a loose lid. Let sit
    at room temperature. Don't refrigerate it or cover it airtight. A pan of water underneath the jar
    or bowl will keep the ants out. 3 Day Ten: Add 1 (16 ounce) can of chunk pineapple and it's
    juice. Cut each chunk of pineapple in half. Stir in 1/2 cup of white sugar. Stir everyday for 10
    days. The color should change and the mixture should foam when stirred. 4 Day Twenty: Add 2 jars
    of the drained maraschino cherries. Slice each cherry in half. Add 2 1/2 cups of the white sugar
    and stir every day for the final 10 days. The cherries will give the juice back its pinkish
    color. 5 Day Thirty: Drain fruit and reserve it and the liquid. Pour the liquid into 3 glasses or
    ceramic pint jars. One for you to start your next cake and two for friends. Cake must be started
    within 3 days after receiving the starter. Do not use plastic or metal containers to store
    liquid! 6 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x13 inch baking
    pans. 7 It's best to mix the two cakes separately. Combine 1 box of the cake mix, 1 box of the
    instant vanilla pudding, 2/3 cup of the vegetable oil and 4 of the eggs. Stir then add 1/2 of the
    drained reserved fruit from the starter. Stir then add 1 cup of the raisins, 1 cup of the chopped
    nuts and 1 cup of the coconut. Stir until all ingredients are combined. The batter will be stiff.
    Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Repeat for cake number two. 8 Bake cakes at 325 degrees F
    (165 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes. Makes 2 -9x13 inch cakes

  3. Witchiewoman

    Witchiewoman Guest

    [email protected] (AlanaG01) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Does anyone happen to have a recipe that first appeared on
    > a bag of flour (brand unknown) 30-40 years ago. The cake
    > is a white/yellow cake and has a can of sour cherries
    > added. When the cake bakes the cherries sink to the
    > bottom. You reserve the juice and reduce it with a few
    > other ingredients and pour the sauce over the cake. I
    > would just love to have this recipe. Can anyone help??

    I think I have the recipe you are asking about...a friend of
    mine gave this recipe to me ages ago...and it is great! Hope
    this is the one!

    Huggies and Magic.

    Cherry Cake

    Cake
    1/3 cup shortening
    2/3 cup white sugar 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla ½ cup milk 1 ¼ cups
    all-purpose flour 1 ¼ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 1 ½
    cups sour cherries, drained, juice reserved ½ cup chopped
    walnuts, optional

    Sauce ½ cup white sugar 2 Tbl cornstarch 1 pinch salt 1 cup
    water ¼ tsp almond extract 2 drops red food coloring

    Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. Sift together the
    flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

    In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 2/3 cup
    sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in
    the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the
    milk. Stir in cherries and chopped nuts. Pour batter into
    prepared pan.

    Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a
    toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out
    clean. Allow to cool.

    Serve with cherry sauce.

    To make cherry sauce In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar,
    cornstarch and salt. Blend in 3/4 cup reserved cherry juice
    and 1 cup water. Stir in almond flavoring and red food
    coloring. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until
    mixture thickens.