Chest pain on deep breathing when running, playing basketball, etc...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dan, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
    running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.

    I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like I
    have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I haven't
    been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than usual and
    that hurts?

    It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.

    It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.

    I just want some verification that it's not something more serious. Cause I want to start running
    again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.

    Thanks 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.

    Mr.E.

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
    > running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.
    >
    > I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like
    > I have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I
    > haven't been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than
    > usual and that hurts?
    >
    > It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.
    >
    > It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.
    >
    > I just want some verification that it's not something more serious. Cause I want to start running
    > again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.
    >
    > Thanks 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.
    >
    > Mr.E.

    This kind of thing can not be reliably diagnosed over the internet. You should see a Dr. and I would
    suggest very soon. He may order a stress test where you are put on a treadmill where your heart is
    monitored. In the meantime you could try breathing hard while at rest to see what happens.

    Bill

  3. Dan wrote:

    > I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
    > running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.
    >
    > I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like
    > I have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I
    > haven't been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than
    > usual and that hurts?

    Unlikely.

    > It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.
    >
    > It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.
    >
    > I just want some verification that it's not something more serious.

    Sorry, can't provide that verification for you.

    > Cause I want to start running again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.

    Would suggest you inform your doctor. S/he will likely refer you to see a cardiologist.

    > Thanks

    You are welcome :)

    > 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.
    >
    > Mr.E.

    Chest pain is a big enough issue.

    Andrew

    --