Chest pain on deep breathing when running, playing basketball, etc...

Dan

Guest
I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.

I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like I
have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I haven't
been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than usual and
that hurts?

It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.

It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.

I just want some verification that it's not something more serious. Cause I want to start running
again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.

Thanks 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.

Mr.E.

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
> running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.
>
> I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like
> I have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I
> haven't been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than
> usual and that hurts?
>
> It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.
>
> It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.
>
> I just want some verification that it's not something more serious. Cause I want to start running
> again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.
>
> Thanks 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.
>
> Mr.E.

This kind of thing can not be reliably diagnosed over the internet. You should see a Dr. and I would
suggest very soon. He may order a stress test where you are put on a treadmill where your heart is
monitored. In the meantime you could try breathing hard while at rest to see what happens.

Bill

Dan wrote:

> I have been having some deep breathing chest pain whenever my breathing gets too intense, such as
> running after 10 tennis balls in a tennis match, or playing basketball, or running up a hill.
>
> I have not been exercising much this year, because I've had a thyroid problem, when it feels like
> I have some energy, I try running, then often have to quit because of the thyroid issues. So I
> haven't been exercising regularly. Could it just be that I'm expanding my chest wall more than
> usual and that hurts?

Unlikely.

> It also hurts when I press on my chest when this happens, it Feels like a lot of pressure.
>
> It doesn't seem to affect my breathing except it hurts.
>
> I just want some verification that it's not something more serious.

Sorry, can't provide that verification for you.

> Cause I want to start running again 3 times a week, without having to worry about it.

Would suggest you inform your doctor. S/he will likely refer you to see a cardiologist.

> Thanks

You are welcome :)

> 39 years old, thyroid problems, no other issues.
>
> Mr.E.

Chest pain is a big enough issue.

Andrew

--