Chicago Ride Report, long

Ed Gin

Guest
Here in Chicago we've enjoyed a rather balmy 4 days of above 50's with a smashing plus 70 degrees
this afternoon. As this was the first time for some to pedal in 2003, I was surprised to see 21
riders participate in rides Sat. and Sun. with our largest turnout ever at our challenging
Barrington Hills courses (Sat.) and McHenry/Bull Valley/Woodstock (Sun.) circuits.

Though the rides started with significant overcast/fog/wetness, with the sun burning through,
temperatures quickly climbed out of the upper 30's to the 50-60 range. Sat. we scheduled 3 riding
groups in Barrington Hills with distances from 22-50 miles. Though the ice patches was still present
on the Fox River Trail, they didn't deter from the joy of just getting out to ride. The Barrington
circuit was in perfect shape except for some salt residue causing some dust accumulation on the
bikes. I seriously had my doubts regarding how the riders would fare running out to Bull Valley on
Sun. as the Sat. Barrington Hills circuit is no easy circuit especially this early in the season.
Amazingly, Sun. a good turnout assembled and challenged the more difficult/technical course to enjoy
the 50 mph descents on Bull Valley Rd. and Valley View.

Tidbits from the rides:

Though Chris suffered a couple of falls on the ice patches on the Fox River Trail Sat., he returned
Sun. to ride the difficult Barrington Hills 40 miler on his own, way to start the 2003 season!

"Windy City Keith" riding his newly acquired Sunset lowracer, showed up for BOTH days of challenging
rides, a first ever for any new inductee in our group. He was slightly miffed at the "disappearing
road" of Valley View in Bull Valley. I guess accelerating past 40 mph as the road drops out of sight
can be disconcerting. Add to this the dampness and large puddles at the bottom of the descent and
you'll be assured to test your intestinal fortitude as you reach 50 mph yearning to maintain
traction and control slicing through the puddles.

Alan humbly summarized his fun pulls with, "Those were just 6 - 2 min. duration 31.5 averages with
one at a higher pace and longer time due to the impromptu race and a flat stretch after a hill.
Basically 90+% HR zones with time to recover between each interval." No wonder the fast boys were
breathing hard on that ride!

Interestingly I only observed ONE other cyclist (pedaling a wedgie) on the 60 mile Sun. ride, go
figure? Perhaps the wet course was a factor?

Monday morning I rode the Chicago Lakefront for a couple of hours not welcoming the onshore coolness
(lake water temps are just at 34 degrees). Later however, my second ride was inland at the North
Branch Trail with 70 degree temperatures, yaa hoo! Unfortunately for my third ride in the evening,
the front approached and quickly dropped temperatures near the freezing level once more. I usually
don't ride morning, afternoon, and night, but I knew the end was near.

Overall, many completed over 100 miles this weekend (Sat. and Sun.) with some having rode much more
with consecutive ridden days of 5 days and more.

Riders:

Chicago North - "lowracer posse"

AA, Alan - Razz Fazz 2.3 lowracer with Super Tailbox Larry - Razz Fazz 1 lowracer with Euro Tailbox
Gary - Cobra lowracer Sean - Forte lowracer Barb - Baron lowracer Keith - Sunset lowracer Chris -
Sunset lowracer Dan - Speedmachine and tailbox quasi lowracer Bill - Tour Easy Ed - Festina big
wheel lowracer Bob Buerger - lwb

Chicago South

Dave - Wishbone Rod - Burley Jim - Trek R-200' Bill - V-Rex Joe - Velocity Kathy - Vision R-45 Phil
- Rotator Pursuit Earl - Gold Rush Rick - Tour Easy Rob - Stratus

Reported by Ed Gin, and Earl Russell

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Ed Gin) wrote:

> Interestingly I only observed ONE other cyclist (pedaling a wedgie) on the 60 mile Sun. ride, go
> figure? Perhaps the wet course was a factor?

Everybody else was at the Wheelmen's St. Pat's ride on Sunday instead. The great weather brought out
hundreds of riders. Tom Sherman was even there. I figured out who he was on the guy riding next to
me on the back of a Bike Friday DoubleDay started talking about his Sunset lowracer.

I saw a few other 'bents on the ride as well. There was a faired SWB Vision (I've met her before,
but can't remember her name at the moment), I think I saw both a Screamer and a DoubleVision.

Also happened to cross paths with somebody on a V2 without a fairing, said he'd been out riding with
your group in Woodstock, but I didn't get his name.

This weekend was the first I've had the Strada outside in its current configuration. New 650c
wheels, with skinny (and high pressure - 150 lbs.) Grand Prix 3000 tires, carbon seat, Bebop pedals
(finally found a pair of shoes that fit - Lake's wide model fits pretty well). Overall the bike is
clearly faster in the new configuration. I was faster both pedalling & coasting, despite not having
ridden much in the last couple months.

-Carl

Carl wrote:

> Everybody else was at the Wheelmen's St. Pat's ride on Sunday instead. The great weather brought
> out hundreds of riders. Tom Sherman was even there. I figured out who he was on the guy riding
> next to me on the back of a Bike Friday DoubleDay started talking about his Sunset lowracer....

Sunset owners are pretty obnoxious - they will never shut up about their bikes.

Tom Sherman - Earth Cycles Sunset and various other HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

At least there aren't too many of them! "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Carl wrote:
> >
> > Everybody else was at the Wheelmen's St. Pat's ride on Sunday instead. The great weather brought
> > out hundreds of riders. Tom Sherman was even there. I figured out who he was on the guy riding
> > next to me on the back of a Bike Friday DoubleDay started talking about his Sunset lowracer....
>
> Sunset owners are pretty obnoxious - they will never shut up about their bikes.
>
> Tom Sherman - Earth Cycles Sunset and various other HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Harv,

Density is the key,

Here in the Chicagoland area are these Sunset lowracer owners,

Keith Santiago Tom Sherman Fred Rodriguez Tom Heeden Bob Chenoweth Chris Cortez Nan Hamilton

And most of them "love" the bikes.......

Interesting fact, it outnumbers any other brand of lowracer owned within the same region. Perhaps
there is something to the statement, "Sunsets are probably the best all around lowracer design," an
old, old usenet comment posted by ......Ed - used to own 2 Sunsets - Gin

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> At least there aren't too many of them!
up about theirs.

Ed Gin wrote:

> ... Here in the Chicagoland area are these Sunset lowracer owners,
>
> Keith Santiago Tom Sherman...

Ed,

Considering that I can see Iowa from my apartment complex, you have quite an expansive geographic
definition of the Chicagoland area. ;)

The Rev. Bruce Gordon lives in southern Illinois and has one of the two
[1] largest tailboxes known to HPVdom on his Sunset.

[2] The other is on William "Wild Bill" Volk's Zox26.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom,

Haveing driven all the way from the "four city area" to ride with us in Barrington Hills not once
but twice, Chicagoland rider you are, honorary Sunset Sherman!

Care to come out for the 3rd time this Saturday?

Ed -