Chicago Suburbs Cyclists

ackgot

May 5, 2004
Hello. I live in the Chicago area , just wondering if there are any other cyclists that live around me and would like to make a club or somthing , or just ride. I am only familar with some of the paths around me, ie: bussie woods.

age / sex / location / name
18 male Arlington Heights - - James

I am also looking for a new Road bike 56-60 cm's frame. If anyone is selling :D

ackgot said:
Hello. I live in the Chicago area , just wondering if there are any other cyclists that live around me and would like to make a club or somthing , or just ride. I am only familar with some of the paths around me, ie: bussie woods.

Is it hard biking in the suburban streets with street traffic ? Wide roads and lots of cars going fast - not expecting bikers, right ? I know Naperville is terrible for street biking, as that's where my brother lives.

I live in the city, 4.5 miles from the Lake shore Drive Bike Path. That's where I work out. I don't like biking fast near cars in city streets because a door might open on me. I've already been "doored" once.

What / where are the beautiful bike paths in the suburbs?

35 / M / Wicker Park, Chicago / Jesse

I only bike for transportation and to lose or maintain my weight. I don't have a high avg speed to be a racer though I have hit 32.9 mph max. The farthest I have biked is 54 miles.

Hmm, I dont know where a good bike trial is around suburbs where I live (arlington heights) , but forest preserves usually do fine.

I like to cycle for fun but i do was well use it as transportation sometimes and to try an lose weight, however, i have been recently jogging to help that too.

Cycling in the traffic is fun. But you just have to be alert for any possible dangers and think ahead a few steps always. I've been in the middle of the 2 solid yellow lines a few times with heavy traffic and luckly i was not hit. Although i do hear sometimes people telling me to "get of the f***ing road" as they pass me by.

Its always fun to go faster than the traffic sometimes as well :) .

Its not hard to go riding on the road in the suburbs , sometimes there is not a side walk availiable but i hardly use them anyways.

I'm not sure if I went off on a tangent there or not but if you have anymore questions feel free.

byes.

I am new to the game but my searching has lead me here;

http://www.cambr.org/

At the bottom middle they have two maps for a South Burb and North Burb trails. Seems like the Palos trail is condsidered one of the best around. I hope to give it try soon but after I hit some easier trails first for practice. Later.

ackgot said:

Illinois has a several bike maps for the state.

To obtain an Illinois bike trail map, please send an email request to [email protected]

Or clikd this link for maps around the state. One map each region is free.
http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTM

Sunday August 7, 2005

Wanna ride the Chicago River Trail? Friends of the Chicago River has added a bike ride to the list of activities to the 6th Annual Chicago River Flatwater Classic. The bike ride is perfect for families and adventurers of all ages with a choice of either a short 10 mile or a longer 25 mile looped street/bike path route. Both routes start and finish at Ping Tom Memorial Park in Chinatown.

Along the noncompetitive course, riders will head south passing through Washington Park, Jackson Park, the University of Chicago and then north along the lakefront path circling back towards the park along Wacker Drive Downtown with scenic views of the river along the way.

Depending upon the route chosen, participants will view both manmade and natural sites including the beautiful Chicago skyline, the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, The Fairmont Hotel, and the Museum campus.

Towards the Finish, riders will even catch glimpses of paddlers as they participate in the final stretches of the Flatwater Paddle.

The riding portion of the Flatwater Classic begins at 9 a.m. with all riders expected to complete the course by 3 p.m.

Fee for the Chicago River Flatwater Classic Pedal is $35 for adults and $15 for children up to 15 years. Friends' members receive a $5 discount. For more information visit www.chicagoriver.org or call (312) 939-0490x10.

:confused: We're looking to find a motel within 2 hours drive of Chicago that is close enough to a bicycle trail to pedal to. We'd like to find somewhere that would have a place to store the bicycles while we weren't pedaling, and have other interesting stuff to do after we're done bicycling. Do any of you have any advice?

nomotornozen said:
:confused: We're looking to find a motel within 2 hours drive of Chicago that is close enough to a bicycle trail to pedal to. We'd like to find somewhere that would have a place to store the bicycles while we weren't pedaling, and have other interesting stuff to do after we're done bicycling. Do any of you have any advice?
try barrington hills in barrington thats where i ride its nice and quite and not much cars

I usually just ride around in the farthest suburbs around Frankfort. The sights over here around Old Town are quite amazing and good for a relaxing ride while local trails near the highway make for excellent rides into parks and over bridges to many other towns such as New Lenox and Mokena. Though this is technically a part of Joliet I never go over to that city and tend to stick around the places I've mentioned. I'll try to get some pics up sometime, until then check out the sights on this site. :D

http://www.villageoffrankfort.com/

Are any of you members of the Chicago Cycling Club? Even though I live in Georgia, I joined thinking that I would get up there more this year. I also wanted to buy a team jersey, but they don't sell them thru the mail, only in person.

http://www.chicagocyclingclub.org/

nomotornozen said:
We ended up going here http://www.earthridercycling.com/ and I'd highly recommend it. Great place right by a trailhead, and they even have showers for after your done exercising so you don't have to ride home all sweaty.

41 male Elgin

I used to ride the Fox River Trail a lot since it's right near my house. Going north there are too many street crossings which interrupt the ride, and the path is rough as hell. To the south, it's much better. It connects to the Prairie Path and to a trail running down through St. Charles that is quite nich.

Unfortunately, my new job has me working 12-14 days, and I haven't ridden on my bike once yet this year. :(

http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/illlinks.htm

on weekends, i prefer rural roads. during the week, about 1/4 to 1/2 of my ride is on the v. gilman trail that goes from waubonsee comm college to oswego. west of aurora, it's a nice, scenic trail. unfortunately, aurora is a dumpy town so i stay west of orchard avenue.