Chick Cycling in Melbourne

Kylie-Anne

May 3, 2003
Just wanted to let all you girlies out there know about the 'Cogs cafe female ride'. This is a CSV organised social ride for girls, ranging from beginners to intermediate. It starts at Cogs Cafe at 402 Barkly Street, Elwood corner of Glenhuntly Road and Ormond Esplanade (or Beach Road to us cyclists). It begins at 8am every Saturday morning. Hope to see you out there on the road!!!

Another chick ride for girls residing in Melbourne......

The ride is at 6.30pm on Monday night's at the Kew
Boulevard!

We meet at the corner of the Kew Boulevard and Boathouse Rd. (Which is the entrance to the Studley Park Boathouse). We ride two laps (heading towards Richmond end first - for anyone running late), at an easy chat pace (avg about 25km/hr), this allows everyone to ride together.
Everyone can gain something from this ride, you might come to learn about more about cycling, for fitness or for recovery!

Hello Cas,
The ride is about 40km. It usually has two bunches, one for the slower riders and one for the faster. It is an up and back ride along beach road. So you could always turn around earlier if it is too far. Or on the other hand, some of the girls continue on if you wish to go a little further.
If you have any other questions, either post them here or email myself on [email protected] or Kerrie on [email protected]

Hi there

Are you still running these two rides? - Im with a small group of newbies and we would benifit enourmously from riding with some more experienced chicks. 40km sounds good but we may stuggle to keep up (which is cool as long as we can start together) :)

As far as I know the Cogs ride is still running. It is fantastic for beginners, and you really don't need to worry about struggling to keep up...it is not a race, it is designed to encourage females to get into cycling.
A friend of mine has organised a training ride at 6:45am on Kew Boulevard, meeting at the boathouse. It will be about an hour of riding around Kew Boulevard. I am not sure if this will be a weekly event, but will post more on it if it is.
I am happy to organise some more chick rides after this week, so if you want to send me an email [email protected] and let me know when you and your buds are free, I will see what I can do.

Hi I am from Johannesburg need some advise urgent please. Cycling every moring about 21km lots of hills. But I feel tired every day no energy for the whole day.
Can someone please give me advise. Am I doing something wrong.

Hello Girls,
I thought you might all be interested in the following:

“Skills CycleGirl Course”

Where - “The Beach House” café – 63 A Ormond-Esplanade,
Elwood (Map 67 B4)

When - 28th of Feb-20th March, 2004 - (Every Saturday for 4 weeks.)

Time - 9 am - 10:30 am !
Coach - Warren Cay (Level 1 Coach)
Why ?
• To improve your skill, knowledge and fitness!
• To meet “like” minded, fun people to cycle with.
• To build together to a participation or full cycle license.*

What will happen ?
Week One – Introduction- Bike set up, bunch skills, rolling turns, cornering.
Week Two - Different training principles. Bike maintenance – “BikeNOW ” bike shop.
Week Three - Hill training- ride to Kew Boulevard
Week Four - Inspirational Guest Speaker- Combining all topics covered. And "where to go from there?"
Cost – $ 55 - To cover insurance, work books and coaching for four
weeks.
Kerrie Baumgartner – SDO CycleSport- 0402125962

Also, you will notice a link at the top of the forum for the "Tour of Southern Grampians". I am helping organise this event and hope to get plenty of girls there to race. Check out the flyer and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on [email protected] or ph 0417 328 445

Another item that maybe of interest to us in jolly ol'
Melbourne, I'll post more as a seperate thread if more details come to hand. ;)

Female bike riders subject of study:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8747085%5E1702,00.html
THE psychology of women bicycle riders will be the focus of a new Victorian study.

The Victorian government-funded study aims to find out what motivates women to take up bike riding.
Sport and Recreation Minister Justin Madden said the study would investigate why more men than women rode regularly.

"This and the other projects will seek to identify strategies and programs that can be used at the grassroots level to encourage more females to be active regularly," he said.

theresa123 said:
Hi I am from Johannesburg need some advise urgent please. Cycling every moring about 21km lots of hills. But I feel tired every day no energy for the whole day.
Can someone please give me advise. Am I doing something wrong.
A couple of questions. How hard are you going? Flat out or staying within your limits? Flat out every time could wear you out. Next, food, are you eating a small breakfast before riding - cereal or muesli bar, toast or fruit? This is because you need some energy to ride and then when you get home from the ride you need to eat a proper breakfast so you've got energy to keep you going until lunch.

PM me if you want to chat about it

Kylie-Anne said:
Another chick ride for girls residing in Melbourne......

The ride is at 6.30pm on Monday night's at the Kew
Boulevard!

We meet at the corner of the Kew Boulevard and Boathouse Rd. (Which is the entrance to the Studley Park Boathouse). We ride two laps (heading towards Richmond end first - for anyone running late), at an easy chat pace (avg about 25km/hr), this allows everyone to ride together.
Everyone can gain something from this ride, you might come to learn about more about cycling, for fitness or for recovery!

hello ladies. FlyingDutch here wearing my Boroondara BUG hat.
are you still running the Kew rides (and the COGs rides for that matter) ???
would be great to put some chick-relevant info on our site
(home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/)

cheers

F "not ashamed to get beaten by a girl. well..."Dutch

G'day girls,

Sorry, I know this is a girls’ thread, but I'm at loss to find any guy specific, Melbourne ones...

I've just started road cycling.

Looking for friendly ppl to go with on 40-60 km rides.

I am not super fast but manage to average just below 30kmh on 40k rides and am eager to improve.

Do any of you know groups that go on weekends/weekdays, St. Kilda- Brighton area?

Alternatively, is anyone looking for a beginner/intermediate riding partner? I live near Corner of North Road and Nepean Highway- Thanks

Alon

Ps- I swear I'm not trying to pick up... I just want cycling buddies :)

Yay! I've just received info from the course co-ordinator at uni that we will need to organise travel/accomodation for a field trip to Melbourne between the 27th July and the 3rd August. (Hmm.. we're only in May now, aren't we? Oops. I may have posted this information a little early... but anyway.) It'll be my first time there!

If the rides mentioned above are still running I'll be more than happy to come along! It'll be fun to meet other female cyclists who are as excited as I am about cycling! :D

What's the best way to travel there with a bicycle from Sydney? I can't cycle there because I have classes to attend on the 25th and 26th and need to be at Melbourne by the 28th. Is Virgin Blue the recommended airline for cyclists wanting cheap fares?

http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/travelInfo/atTheAirport/index.php?section=Baggage+Information
"a bicycle that weighs 10kgs will represent 5kgs of the guests’ free baggage allowance, leaving 15kgs for other items."

And being a first-timer in Melbourne, are there any places/cycle-routes that are a must-do!?

Kylie-Anne said:
Just wanted to let all you girlies out there know about the 'Cogs cafe female ride'. This is a CSV organised social ride for girls, ranging from beginners to intermediate. It starts at Cogs Cafe at 402 Barkly Street, Elwood corner of Glenhuntly Road and Ormond Esplanade (or Beach Road to us cyclists). It begins at 8am every Saturday morning. Hope to see you out there on the road!!!

Just wondering if these rides are still happening?
I'm constantly up and down the beach road melbourne and am looking for a riding partner or group for a little inspiration!

Any ideas??

Cheers all.

Well, 21 kms a day it's not much, but I need more info to judge. For example, what bike u have? Are u a beginner? U train before on plain road? U do other sports? Weight? Height? Age?

see ya

Gabe

Kylie-Anne said:
I want to go but it so far for me. :(

hi
i was wondering if there were any people in the essondon area that would be willing to go on training rides
i am unable to get to any of the bunch rides in the city:(

See this club for info:

www.coburgcycling.com.au or try 7.30am bunch from Bundoora on Sundays.

cycle chik said:
hi
i was wondering if there were any people in the essondon area that would be willing to go on training rides
i am unable to get to any of the bunch rides in the city:(