chicken fried steak

ConnieG999 wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> One of my aunts always prepared it that way...fried first
>> (the way I like it), then put on a deep platter and the
>> milk gravy poured over.
>
> Yeah, but that's not what Jill said. She said to put the
> battered steaks in the pan and pour gravy over, then heat
> it. Unless I misunderstood - because she never mentioned
> frying them first. The gravy can be poured over or on the
> side...but if you cook the steaks in the gravy, they're
> not going to have that crispy crunchy crust.
>
> Connie
> My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

I misstated... you pan fry the steaks first, then pour the
gravy in and heat through. It *is* like smothered steak,
except the smothered steak I'm used to uses a brown gravy.
But make no mistake (or mis-steak!), what I meant was
browned and crispy first.

Jill

"LET" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It's a bit of "southern heaven" on a plate. . . Tenderized
> beef steak dredged in seasoned flour and then pan-fried.
> Serve with a milk-based gravy that has lots of pepper in
> it. Another, more accurate name for it is "heart attack
> waiting to happen" but it's worth it.

Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-
based gravy and how do you make it? Is it anything like
white sauce?

wd39

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-
>>based gravy and how do you make it? Is it anything like
>>white sauce?
>

> It is a milk based gravy made with pork sausage drippings
> and flour and a lot of fresh ground black pepper and is
> generally known as Country Gravy. When I make Country
> Gravy I will crumble up cooked pork sausage in it.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>
> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases
> in a direct proportion to the intensity with which others
> try to prove him wrong" James Mason from the movie "Heaven
> Can Wait".

OR, in the case of CFS, the subject, it can be beef-based.
All you do is add milk instead of water.

jim

JimLane <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Mpoconnor7 wrote:
>>>Another question from another Canadian: what is milk-
>>>based gravy and how do you make it? Is it anything like
>>>white sauce?
>>

>> It is a milk based gravy made with pork sausage drippings
>> and flour and a lot of fresh ground black pepper and is
>> generally known as Country Gravy. When I make Country
>> Gravy I will crumble up cooked pork sausage in it.
>>
>> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>>
>> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases
>> in a direct proportion to the intensity with which others
>> try to prove him wrong" James Mason from the movie
>> "Heaven Can Wait".
>
> OR, in the case of CFS, the subject, it can be beef-based.
> All you do is add milk instead of water.

Implied, I think, but not said...the drippings from frying
the steak are used as the fat component in gravy for chicken
fried steak.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >"AngleWyrm" writes:
>
> >>Can anyone explain to
> >this
> >> Canadian what it is?
> >
> >To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and
> >pound as much flour into the meat as possible--till it's
> >saturated. Spice the flour first, if you like. Takes a
> >bit of elbow grease
>
> No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound
> tractor sportin' Ag tires.

That's not the rfc way. It takes a Volvo, specifically
one owned by a certain rfc person that hasn't been around
for awhile.

:)

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >"AngleWyrm" writes:
>
> >>Can anyone explain to
> >this
> >> Canadian what it is?
> >
> >To bread it, take a tenderizing hammer (big spikes) and
> >pound as much flour into the meat as possible--till it's
> >saturated. Spice the flour first, if you like. Takes a
> >bit of elbow grease
>
> No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound
> tractor sportin' Ag tires.

That's not the rfc way. It takes a Volvo, specifically
one owned by a certain rfc person that hasn't been around
for awhile.

:)

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

[email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

>>(Dan Abel) writes:

>>> No elbow grease a-tall, not iffn ya got a 4,500 pound
>>> tractor sportin' Ag tires.
>>

>>That's not the rfc way. It takes a Volvo, specifically one
>>owned by a certain rfc person that hasn't been around for
>>awhile. :)
>
> Elbonian Volvos are exceedingly rare.

WTF is an Elbonian Volvo?

Michael <- had a Volvo in 1983 and hated it
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968