General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Chicken stock?

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 66 posts · 2,040 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 March 2005
Last activity
10 April 2005
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,040
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your choice of herbs and spices.

    I _never_ make stock with just meat and nothing else! It smells


    funky

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while it is cooking if you try it. :-P

    I still insist parsnip is needed to make good chicken stock. Even


    though

    Quoted message said:

    I detest parsnip.

    For Jewish Penicillin, yes... for Oriental, not. There are many
    versions of chicken stock... some ethnicities even make stock from
    saved up garbage, that's Dago stock.

    Sheldon

  2. Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your choice of herbs and spices.

    I _never_ make stock with just meat and nothing else! It smells


    funky

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while it is cooking if you try it. :-P

    I still insist parsnip is needed to make good chicken stock. Even


    though

    Quoted message said:

    I detest parsnip.

    For Jewish Penicillin, yes... for Oriental, not. There are many
    versions of chicken stock... some ethnicities even make stock from
    saved up garbage, that's Dago stock.

    Sheldon

  3. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your choice of herbs and spices.

    I _never_ make stock with just meat and nothing else! It smells


    funky

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    while it is cooking if you try it. :-P

    I still insist parsnip is needed to make good chicken stock. Even


    though

    Quoted message said:

    I detest parsnip.

    For Jewish Penicillin, yes... for Oriental, not. There are many
    versions of chicken stock... some ethnicities even make stock from
    saved up garbage, that's Dago stock.

    Sheldon

    Even when making a Asian tasting Chicken Stock I use Parsnip...I just add
    additional stuff like Ginger, Lemon juice, star of anise, Lemmon Grass,
    soya Sauce, cinnamon etc. I don't believe there is one set way or 1 set
    group of ingredients used to make chicken stock. I believe there is only
    making what appeals to your tastes. And I find parsnip adds that
    'missing' link for me. Since the 'used up veggies' will be removed and we
    are just dealing with the flavourful liquid add whatever you want...I am
    suggesting parsnip might be liked as a part of that flavour. Anyways I
    can't think of a contenent that hasn't had Jews as part of their culture
    at least for 100 years. And Jews being Jews will have had a effect on
    that culture.

    --
    No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dave W." <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've never done stock from chicken feet, but would like to try. Question:
    Do you clip the claws off or just wash the feet and simmer them as is?

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    Ok... Chicken feet!

    If you buy them pre-cleaned, they are usually ready for use.
    I use the pressure cooker for chicken feet usually, but I have used a
    stock pot a couple of times. You want to cook them until the are all
    nice and jelly and falling apart!

    If you use fresh ones, you scald them first!

    Dunk the foot into boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds.

    Peel the scaly skin off and the toenails pop off with a slight twist.
    This leaves a nice, clean, skinless chicken foot. You can do duck feet
    the same way. I've even done pigeon feet. ;-)

    Emu feet are gross! Don't bother. Those get roasted for the dogs!

    Cleaned chicken feet make a wonderful stock, and the "meat" on the feet
    turns into a wonderful jelly stuff that is delicious!

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.


    Oh, thanks for the foot instructions! (You too, Rodney.) Sounds like
    I'll have to give this a stab. The onliest place one sees chicky feet
    around here is in some of the larger Asian markets (down it the big city
    .... Ft. Smith) where I see them in plastic bags in the freezer. The next
    time I'm down there getting vittles I'll snag some.

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    --
    Living in the Ozarks
    For email, edu will do.

    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dave W." <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've never done stock from chicken feet, but would like to try. Question:
    Do you clip the claws off or just wash the feet and simmer them as is?

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    Ok... Chicken feet!

    If you buy them pre-cleaned, they are usually ready for use.
    I use the pressure cooker for chicken feet usually, but I have used a
    stock pot a couple of times. You want to cook them until the are all
    nice and jelly and falling apart!

    If you use fresh ones, you scald them first!

    Dunk the foot into boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds.

    Peel the scaly skin off and the toenails pop off with a slight twist.
    This leaves a nice, clean, skinless chicken foot. You can do duck feet
    the same way. I've even done pigeon feet. ;-)

    Emu feet are gross! Don't bother. Those get roasted for the dogs!

    Cleaned chicken feet make a wonderful stock, and the "meat" on the feet
    turns into a wonderful jelly stuff that is delicious!

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.


    Oh, thanks for the foot instructions! (You too, Rodney.) Sounds like
    I'll have to give this a stab. The onliest place one sees chicky feet
    around here is in some of the larger Asian markets (down it the big city
    .... Ft. Smith) where I see them in plastic bags in the freezer. The next
    time I'm down there getting vittles I'll snag some.

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    --
    Living in the Ozarks
    For email, edu will do.

    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dave W." <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've never done stock from chicken feet, but would like to try. Question:
    Do you clip the claws off or just wash the feet and simmer them as is?

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    Ok... Chicken feet!

    If you buy them pre-cleaned, they are usually ready for use.
    I use the pressure cooker for chicken feet usually, but I have used a
    stock pot a couple of times. You want to cook them until the are all
    nice and jelly and falling apart!

    If you use fresh ones, you scald them first!

    Dunk the foot into boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds.

    Peel the scaly skin off and the toenails pop off with a slight twist.
    This leaves a nice, clean, skinless chicken foot. You can do duck feet
    the same way. I've even done pigeon feet. ;-)

    Emu feet are gross! Don't bother. Those get roasted for the dogs!

    Cleaned chicken feet make a wonderful stock, and the "meat" on the feet
    turns into a wonderful jelly stuff that is delicious!

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.


    Oh, thanks for the foot instructions! (You too, Rodney.) Sounds like
    I'll have to give this a stab. The onliest place one sees chicky feet
    around here is in some of the larger Asian markets (down it the big city
    .... Ft. Smith) where I see them in plastic bags in the freezer. The next
    time I'm down there getting vittles I'll snag some.

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    --
    Living in the Ozarks
    For email, edu will do.

    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dave W." <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've never done stock from chicken feet, but would like to try. Question:
    Do you clip the claws off or just wash the feet and simmer them as is?

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    Ok... Chicken feet!

    If you buy them pre-cleaned, they are usually ready for use.
    I use the pressure cooker for chicken feet usually, but I have used a
    stock pot a couple of times. You want to cook them until the are all
    nice and jelly and falling apart!

    If you use fresh ones, you scald them first!

    Dunk the foot into boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds.

    Peel the scaly skin off and the toenails pop off with a slight twist.
    This leaves a nice, clean, skinless chicken foot. You can do duck feet
    the same way. I've even done pigeon feet. ;-)

    Emu feet are gross! Don't bother. Those get roasted for the dogs!

    Cleaned chicken feet make a wonderful stock, and the "meat" on the feet
    turns into a wonderful jelly stuff that is delicious!

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.


    Oh, thanks for the foot instructions! (You too, Rodney.) Sounds like
    I'll have to give this a stab. The onliest place one sees chicky feet
    around here is in some of the larger Asian markets (down it the big city
    .... Ft. Smith) where I see them in plastic bags in the freezer. The next
    time I'm down there getting vittles I'll snag some.

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    --
    Living in the Ozarks
    For email, edu will do.

    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)

  8. Dave Smith said:

    Whatever you do, don't have them boiled the first time. They are horrible. It was only recently that I discovered roasted parsnips. Just rub them
    with a little oil and season with a little S&P and roast them for about 1 1/2 hours. They need to be roasted until the outside is nice well browned.
    the outside will be crunchy and the inside mushy, and very tasty. I tried them boiled again after discovering roasting, and boiled parsnips still
    taste like [censored].


    Try putting a couple sliced into rounds with a stew made of potatoes,
    onions and carrots.
    I have them once at a restaurant "carmelized", half and half parsnips
    and carrot. Very good. Lots of pepper.
    blacksalt

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.

    I _never_ make stock with just meat and nothing else! It smells funky
    while it is cooking if you try it. :-P

    I still insist parsnip is needed to make good chicken stock. Even though
    I detest parsnip.

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's never
    eaten them before???

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dave W. said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Dave W." <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    I've never done stock from chicken feet, but would like to try. Question:
    Do you clip the claws off or just wash the feet and simmer them as is?

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    Ok... Chicken feet!

    If you buy them pre-cleaned, they are usually ready for use.
    I use the pressure cooker for chicken feet usually, but I have used a
    stock pot a couple of times. You want to cook them until the are all
    nice and jelly and falling apart!

    If you use fresh ones, you scald them first!

    Dunk the foot into boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds.

    Peel the scaly skin off and the toenails pop off with a slight twist.
    This leaves a nice, clean, skinless chicken foot. You can do duck feet
    the same way. I've even done pigeon feet. ;-)

    Emu feet are gross! Don't bother. Those get roasted for the dogs!

    Cleaned chicken feet make a wonderful stock, and the "meat" on the feet
    turns into a wonderful jelly stuff that is delicious!

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery, and
    your choice of herbs and spices.


    Oh, thanks for the foot instructions! (You too, Rodney.) Sounds like
    I'll have to give this a stab. The onliest place one sees chicky feet
    around here is in some of the larger Asian markets (down it the big city
    ... Ft. Smith) where I see them in plastic bags in the freezer. The next
    time I'm down there getting vittles I'll snag some.

    Regards,
    Dave W.

    If you are purchasing them, odds are they are already clean and ready to
    go. :-) They will usually be whitish-yellow to whitish-pink.

    Honestly, you will be able to tell if they have not been skinned! <lol>
    I don't think it's legal to sell them un-peeled anyway.

    Let us know your results please?

    Have fun!
    Kat

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

  11. Katra said:

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's never
    eaten them before???

    Whatever you do, don't have them boiled the first time. They are horrible. It was only recently that I discovered roasted parsnips. Just rub them
    with a little oil and season with a little S&P and roast them for about 1 1/2 hours. They need to be roasted until the outside is nice well browned.
    the outside will be crunchy and the inside mushy, and very tasty. I tried them boiled again after discovering roasting, and boiled parsnips still
    taste like [censored].

  12. Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Cook them like any other stock base with onions, garlic, celery,
    and
    your choice of herbs and spices.

    I _never_ make stock with just meat and nothing else! It smells
    funky while it is cooking if you try it. :-P

    I still insist parsnip is needed to make good chicken stock. Even
    though I detest parsnip.

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's
    never eaten them before???


    As any other vegetable in chicken stock. They add a special taste
    that I can't describe.

    I agree with du Pollet. Anywhere else, avoid them like the plague,
    but in chicken stock, parsnips are necessary.

    BOB

  13. Dave Smith said:
    Katra said:

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's
    never eaten them before???

    Whatever you do, don't have them boiled the first time. They are
    horrible. It was only recently that I discovered roasted parsnips.
    Just rub them with a little oil and season with a little S&P and
    roast them for about 1 1/2 hours. They need to be roasted until the
    outside is nice well browned. the outside will be crunchy and the
    inside mushy, and very tasty. I tried them boiled again after
    discovering roasting, and boiled parsnips still taste like [censored].

    I might have to try it. See my response to this same question. You
    might have explained my aversion to parsnips.

    BOB

  14. Katra said:


    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    Nah, you'd don't need to try it. Just think "turnip lite." If you
    like turnips, you'll like parsnips, and if you don't, you won't. If
    your chicken stock is headed directly to soup, you can use parsnips if
    that flavor suits the soup. But if the stock is going to be for
    general purposes as yet unknown, you're better off without that
    additional flavor in there. -aem

  15. BOB said:

    I might have to try it. See my response to this same question. You
    might have explained my aversion to parsnips.

    IMO, boiled parsnips are foul. Roasted parsnips are quite tasty. I had
    them with my dinner tonight. They were delicious. And every time I have
    them roasted I am amazed at how good they are roasted when they are so
    horrible boiled. My parents used to like them par boiled and fried in
    butter with a little brown sugar added just before they are done.

  16. aem said:
    Katra said:


    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    Nah, you'd don't need to try it. Just think "turnip lite." If you
    like turnips, you'll like parsnips, and if you don't, you won't.

    Really? I think parsnips have a "bite" to them and impart a distinct
    flavor when put into soup... but I've never eaten them raw or boiled,
    just roasted and in soups.

    Turnips are blander to me... don't people combine them with potatoes
    and mash?

  17. Katra said:

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's never
    eaten them before???

    For someone who has never used them before, put them (and turnips)
    into hearty soups. They make a huge difference!

    Like Dave, I've roasted them too... I use them in a melange of winter
    vegetables.

  18. sf said:


    Turnips are blander to me... don't people combine them with potatoes
    and mash?

    You're probably right. They run together in my mind because I seldom
    use either one. For one of the more traditional beef stews I will use
    whichever I ran across first at the market. Never use either in
    chicken stock. If I want a little subtle zing there I use fresh ginger
    slices. Mashed potatoes often get roasted garlic, seldom any other
    additive. Well, occasionally sour cream. -aem

  19. "Katra" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    How would anyone recommend a preparation method for someone that's never
    eaten them before???

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    I really enjoy parsnips plus turnips and rutabaga in chicken soup. My
    brother and SIL cook them with potatoes for mashing.

    BTW, raw rutabaga is quite good and sweet (it can get slightly bitter when
    cooked). I like to use it when putting together a plate of veggies and dip.

    Pam

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:
    Katra said:


    To be honest, I've never eaten a parsnip in my entire life... ;-)
    Guess I ought to pick one up and try it!

    Nah, you'd don't need to try it. Just think "turnip lite." If you
    like turnips, you'll like parsnips, and if you don't, you won't. If
    your chicken stock is headed directly to soup, you can use parsnips if
    that flavor suits the soup. But if the stock is going to be for
    general purposes as yet unknown, you're better off without that
    additional flavor in there. -aem

    I'm not overly fond of turnips but I can eat them...

    Generally, when I want that type of flavor, I'll use radishes.

    Steamed radishes are very, VERY good in soups, stir fry's and even on
    dip platters.

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.