Chickpea Skins

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Charles, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas? I have
    been removing them one pea at a time and there has to be a
    better way. Ah, you might have guessed, I'm not a very
    experenced cook. I cook often enough but I'm always learning
    new things and find cooking very relaxing. Of course peeling
    chickpeas can get old. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Charles wrote:
    > Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas? I
    > have been removing them one pea at a time and there has to
    > be a better way. Ah, you might have guessed, I'm not a
    > very experenced cook. I cook often enough but I'm always
    > learning new things and find cooking very relaxing. Of
    > course peeling chickpeas can get old. Thanks.

    Boil the chickpeas first. Put them in cold water. Agitate a
    little with your hand. Skins float to the top.
    Alternatively, toss the skins in the blender when making
    hummus or leave them in the soup. I find the taste and
    texture unobjectionable.

    --Lia

  3. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Charles wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:04:52 +0000, Julia Altshuler wrote:
    >
    > > Charles wrote:
    > >> Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas?
    > >

    > > Boil the chickpeas first. Put them in cold water.
    > > Agitate a little with your hand. Skins float to the top.
    > > Alternatively, toss the skins in the blender when making
    > > hummus or leave them in the soup. I find the taste and
    > > texture unobjectionable.
    > >
    > > --Lia
    >
    > Thanks Lia, I didn't even know about the skins until I had
    > made humus a few times then I found a recipe that said to
    > remove them. I think your right, I don't think I can tell
    > any difference with the skins on but I'll try your
    > technique the next time.

    Or try another method I've seen Bengali cooks use: place the
    cooked chickpeas on half of a clean tea towel (the smooth
    sort). Fold the other half of the towel over the peas and
    roll them around under the towel for a couple of minutes.
    Put the chickpeas in cold water and the skins will float to
    the top and can be skimmed away.