Chickpea Skins

Charles

Guest
Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas? I have
been removing them one pea at a time and there has to be a
better way. Ah, you might have guessed, I'm not a very
experenced cook. I cook often enough but I'm always learning
new things and find cooking very relaxing. Of course peeling
chickpeas can get old. Thanks.

Charles wrote:
> Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas? I
> have been removing them one pea at a time and there has to
> be a better way. Ah, you might have guessed, I'm not a
> very experenced cook. I cook often enough but I'm always
> learning new things and find cooking very relaxing. Of
> course peeling chickpeas can get old. Thanks.

Boil the chickpeas first. Put them in cold water. Agitate a
little with your hand. Skins float to the top.
Alternatively, toss the skins in the blender when making
hummus or leave them in the soup. I find the taste and
texture unobjectionable.

--Lia

Charles wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:04:52 +0000, Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Charles wrote:
> >> Is there an easy way to get the skins off chickpeas?
> >

> > Boil the chickpeas first. Put them in cold water.
> > Agitate a little with your hand. Skins float to the top.
> > Alternatively, toss the skins in the blender when making
> > hummus or leave them in the soup. I find the taste and
> > texture unobjectionable.
> >
> > --Lia
>
> Thanks Lia, I didn't even know about the skins until I had
> made humus a few times then I found a recipe that said to
> remove them. I think your right, I don't think I can tell
> any difference with the skins on but I'll try your
> technique the next time.

Or try another method I've seen Bengali cooks use: place the
cooked chickpeas on half of a clean tea towel (the smooth
sort). Fold the other half of the towel over the peas and
roll them around under the towel for a couple of minutes.
Put the chickpeas in cold water and the skins will float to
the top and can be skimmed away.