Child bicycle trailer

the cyclops

Jul 25, 2010
I need some advice on this...I have a bicycle trailer(pic below) that is bright orange,big orange flag,several reflecters and buying a "knog boomer" for the rear (will switch it from my bike to the trailer when riding w/my son)...Is it acceptable in your opinion to ride on the road with your child on the street? Now I would never,ever go on the "main road" but I have several times went on some back roads in town(25-35mph zone) w/no issues,but it is a whole different ballgame when a child is involved.I want to enjoy time w/my son and he absolutely loves to be pulled and there is only 1 bicycle trail in the area that is 1 1/2 miles long...we like to go 5-10 miles when we go,and I have been riding from my rural neighborhood,to other neighborhoods near us,but ultimately have to get on the road for a mile or more at times...Discuss.

I wouldn't use it on the street. Most of the bike trailers that I have seen sit sort of low to the ground, and would be difficult to see when driving a larger vehicle like an SUV and there are a lot of them out there. It is also wider than your bike which may cause problems when someone goes to pass you but accidentally brushes the trailer because they cannot see it beside them. I just think that it is too risky to be towing your son in one of these trailers on the road.

Flags need to be used to bring attenion to the kids traailer, sop that drivers cannot miss seeing said trailors

I tow ours around on our residential streets (no through traffic), where the speed limit is marked as 25MPH. If there is a sidewalk, I'm on it. I use the 6 foot tall orange flag that came with the trailer, and my children always wear a helmet in the trailer. Even with all that, I'm still about 20 times more cautious than when riding alone.

Scotty_Dog said:
I tow ours around on our residential streets (no through traffic), where the speed limit is marked as 25MPH. If there is a sidewalk, I'm on it. I use the 6 foot tall orange flag that came with the trailer, and my children always wear a helmet in the trailer. Even with all that, I'm still about 20 times more cautious than when riding alone.
Yup,I have the flag as well,and he wears his helmet.And I too am super cautious when riding with my son,I never really thought about it being so low to the ground/visibility issues,but the flag helps with that a little.Is the cart not too wide to get on the sidewalk?That is the reason I havent been using the sidewalks,I thought they were too narrow.