Child Bike Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Bigelow

I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but have
come up empty. Thoughts on this?

kb

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:20:35 GMT, "Kevin Bigelow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
>age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
>recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but have
>come up empty. Thoughts on this?
>
>kb
>
As soon as they can support their head. Have a look at the Beto range - they come with a
useful rack.

"Kevin Bigelow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike -
anyone
> know the appropriate age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also,
> any product recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer
> reports but have come
up
> empty. Thoughts on this?
>
> kb
>

Babies should be able to sit up and hold their head up well (with a helmet on). In most cases 11
months should be plenty ready. The Rhode Gear limo seems to be the most popular seat carrier. It is
well designed and comes with a normal touring rack. The seat comes off and on in a moment. Last I
looked it sold for $130. After the child reaches 40 lbs, seat carriers are unstable. Usually older
kids go in trailers and then trail-a-bikes or tandems (trailers are good for babies filling the
above requirements as well).

> I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
> age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
> recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but
> have come up empty. Thoughts on this?

I got the Rhode Gear Limo when my son was 18 months. It completely envelops the child and seems to
secure and protect very well. It's very adjustable, and accomodated him until age 4 and 40 lbs
(the rated
limit). I also liked that it can be removed easily (it slides on and off a regular rear rack). My
son really seemed to enjoy it at that age, and I was very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.