Child Bike Carriers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kevin Bigelow, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
    age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
    recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but have
    come up empty. Thoughts on this?

    kb

    Tags:

  2. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:20:35 GMT, "Kevin Bigelow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
    >age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
    >recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but have
    >come up empty. Thoughts on this?
    >
    >kb

    As soon as they can support their head. Have a look at the Beto range - they come with a
    useful rack.

  3. "Kevin Bigelow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike -
    anyone
    > know the appropriate age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also,
    > any product recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer
    > reports but have come
    up
    > empty. Thoughts on this?
    >
    > kb

    Babies should be able to sit up and hold their head up well (with a helmet on). In most cases 11
    months should be plenty ready. The Rhode Gear limo seems to be the most popular seat carrier. It is
    well designed and comes with a normal touring rack. The seat comes off and on in a moment. Last I
    looked it sold for $130. After the child reaches 40 lbs, seat carriers are unstable. Usually older
    kids go in trailers and then trail-a-bikes or tandems (trailers are good for babies filling the
    above requirements as well).

  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    > I have an 11 month old - I want to get a child carrier for my bike - anyone know the appropriate
    > age/weight to put a child in one of those? All paved/flat trail riding. Also, any product
    > recommendations for a specific child carrier? Tried to find reviews in my consumer reports but
    > have come up empty. Thoughts on this?

    I got the Rhode Gear Limo when my son was 18 months. It completely envelops the child and seems to
    secure and protect very well. It's very adjustable, and accomodated him until age 4 and 40 lbs
    (the rated
    limit). I also liked that it can be removed easily (it slides on and off a regular rear rack). My
    son really seemed to enjoy it at that age, and I was very happy with it.