Child Bike Trailers

leeloo67

Oct 11, 2010
I just got an InStep child bike trailer last night, and am returning it today. The thing says it is made for two kids but it was literally MAYBE big enough for a small dog or perhaps one small child. The fine print in the box says 50 pounds max weight for one child (the outside of the box said 100 pound weight limit - very misleading) but my 40 pound kid was really stressing this thing. The biggest limitation other than there not being any framework on the bottom (the bottom dipped and looked like a bag on wheels) was the stupid afterthough sling-style seat which was in the middle of the trailer and not adjustable - as if the designers didn't consider a child may have legs attached to his/her torso - which was doubly odd as behind the seat was a quite massive "storage" area. Are there any inexpensive trailers out there that are big enough for a five year old? My kid has maybe six months or a year before she is good enough to actually ride her own bike along with me so I don't want to drop lots of cash for something that I will be selling in a year...

I have seen several on the trails with the Schwinn trailer from Walmart, not sure what model, they have
two I think.. Any way, several have two small kids in them and them appear to be fine.

One lady I see often takes it to the store with her four year old and brings home a load of stuff as well.

Kids need a helmet you know. I think here it is required by law.

I would look on Craigs List I aways see listings for these trailers. At least you can check them out and get it used.

Wow, I just got lucky. Took the bad trailer back for a refund and then got this thing below off Craigslist for a paltry $40. There is plenty of room for my child, who is tall for her age. Plus it is much sturdier than the InStep one: metal vs. plastic rims, much smarter folding/collapsing, much better seat, velcro instead of snaps...<p>
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1309/dsc01592hc.jpg

Originally Posted by leeloo67 .

Wow, I just got lucky. Took the bad trailer back for a refund and then got this thing below off Craigslist for a paltry $40. There is plenty of room for my child, who is tall for her age. Plus it is much sturdier than the InStep one: metal vs. plastic rims, much smarter folding/collapsing, much better seat, velcro instead of snaps...<p>
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1309/dsc01592hc.jpg

Nice score. When your children outgrow it and you no longer need it you can easily get your money back by posting it for sale yourself.

Yup, very nice score for sure.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Nice score. When your children outgrow it and you no longer need it you can easily get your money back by posting it for sale yourself.