Child carrier and trailer for 3 year old info

Eric

Guest
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to bring my 3 years old with me. I browsed the news groups. The discussions
seem all focused on carrier/trailer for babies or toddlers. I'm looking for some info for bigger kid
like my 3 years old. Hope someone can advice or share experiences on the below questions:

1. I brought my kid to REI today to test the Burley Solo child trailer. The trailer is obviously too
short for her. There is not enough leg room and she actually not like it and we don't believe she
can stay there for long comfortably. The trailer seems designed for babies or toddlers. I'd
appreciate if anyone can recommend something bigger.

2. I think child carrier (seat put behind the rider) will be more comfortable for my 3 year old. But
she is already 37 lb. I don't know why most of the child carriers I see are designed to a limit
of 40 lb. But it doesn't make too much sense for us to buy a 40lb limited device while the kid is
already 37 lb. Is there a child carrier that's designed for bigger kid?

3. Any other way that I may bring the kid with me while cycling?

Thanks very much,

Eric.

"Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to bring my 3 years old with me.
>
> 1. I brought my kid to REI today to test the Burley Solo child trailer. The trailer is obviously
> too short for her.
>
> 2. I think child carrier (seat put behind the rider) will be more comfortable for my 3 year old.
> But she is already 37 lb.
>
> 3. Any other way that I may bring the kid with me while cycling?

I think you're in that in-between stage. When your child gets a little older, say 4 1/2, I think a
trailer-bike is the way to go. I rode this way with my daughter for almost 5 years. We started right
off doing pretty rough off-road trails without any mishaps, so I think the 4 1/2 year age is
reasonably conservative.

Eric wrote:

> 3. Any other way that I may bring the kid with me while cycling?

When my daughter was 3 1/2 years old, I fitted the back of our tandem to accommodate her. This
worked very, very well for many years. Kits are available to modify many tandems.

Depending what type of riding you do, you may be able to locate an inexpensive used tandem. Ours was
bought brand new and wasn't inexpensive, but it was well worth the money.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]