Child carrying advice please

Rory wrote:

> Don't even think of a child seat. ... DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING A
> CHILD SEAT! Especially not the front-mounted or cross-bar mounted
> ones.

Don't you think this is overly adamant? Given the fact that trailers
are much more expensive and inconvenient, and _so_ many child seats have
been used successfully for _so_ many years, and are still being used daily?

If you say "Don't even think of using a child seat" you're telling
millions of people "Don't ever take your child on a bike ride."

Such extreme advice had better be backed up with real data showing
children it's harmed - not "might have, could possibly" anecdotes.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
> Rory wrote:
>
>> Don't even think of a child seat. ... DON'T EVEN THINK OF USING A
>> CHILD SEAT! Especially not the front-mounted or cross-bar mounted
>> ones.

> Don't you think this is overly adamant? Given the fact that trailers
> are much more expensive and inconvenient, and _so_ many child seats
> have been used successfully for _so_ many years, and are still being
> used daily?
>
> If you say "Don't even think of using a child seat" you're telling
> millions of people "Don't ever take your child on a bike ride."

I've done all three, I'll take front mount for short toodles around the
'hood, trailer for anything more.

Penny

"R.White" wrote:

> I'd be more concerned about the sky falling.

Did you fall out of a seat as a kid then ;-)

John B

Rory wrote:
<snip>
> * Get a good coupling (Becco or Weber are my favourites) - don't
> use the Trek / Burley clamp-on one, it is utter ****, and interferes
> with the wheels when turning on many bikes.
> * Ensure the coupling is firmly attached (I don't like the QR skewer
> ones)
> * Always use a secondary retainer strap in case the coupling breaks

I have a Trek ball in socket coupling that goes on the rear axle that came
with my Rocket and it works very well. I wonder of your experience was on
older designs. It also has a built-in secondary strap in case of failure,
which has not been needed after daily use for the past couple of summers.

We keep one on each of our (my wife and my) town bikes for easy trailer
swapping. We just got the socket part since they don't have QRs and that
makes them pretty permanent and solid.

I agree the clamp-ons are a bad idea, even though I've never used one they
don't look as reliable as an axle mount.

Matt (haven't lost a kid yet...)

J G wrote:

>>we can't decide whether she should go for a seat on the back or a trailer.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me from experience which is the best/safest way to
>>carry my 21 month old daughter. She weichs approx 28 - 30 lbs

> With a seat, if rider goes down so does baby,
> With a trailer, if rider goes down baby laughs at rider

I used to take my son XC skiing with me when he was around three,
pulling him in a sled. Every fall on my part would be followed with
giggles and "Do it again daddy!".

Shawn

J G wrote:

>>we can't decide whether she should go for a seat on the back or a trailer.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me from experience which is the best/safest way to
>>carry my 21 month old daughter. She weichs approx 28 - 30 lbs

> With a seat, if rider goes down so does baby,
> With a trailer, if rider goes down baby laughs at rider

I used to take my son XC skiing with me when he was around three,
pulling him in a sled. Every fall on my part would be followed with
giggles and "Do it again daddy!".

Shawn

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I agree the clamp-ons are a bad idea, even though I've never used one they
> don't look as reliable as an axle mount.

You mean the burley ones? I've never heard of any failures. The only
problems I've heard of them having are with drum brakes on tandems (and
possibly discs?). Looking at one it seems to be a very well engineered piece
of kit.

cheers,
clive

>> > I'd be more concerned about the sky falling.
>>
>> Did you fall out of a seat as a kid then ;-)

> Yes, but I was wearing a h*lmet.

Ah, top heavy then. ;-)

Clive George wrote:

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I agree the clamp-ons are a bad idea, even though I've never used one they
> > don't look as reliable as an axle mount.

> You mean the burley ones? I've never heard of any failures. The only
> problems I've heard of them having are with drum brakes on tandems (and
> possibly discs?). Looking at one it seems to be a very well engineered piece
> of kit.

I'd agree. We had a Burley and the hitch was excellent, especially the
ability to lay the bike/tandem down while still attached. It look a
matter of seconds to attach/detach. That said it wasn't quite as easy as
the Weber hitch I now use on my utlity trailer, but that really needs
the bike 'end' to be left permanently attached.

We also had the drum brake issue with the tandem and had to attach the
clamp slightly higher than usual which meant extending the arm of the
trailer - a feat ably carried out by the late George Longstaff.

John B

Gawnsoft wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:45:13 GMT, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote (more
> or less):
>

>>By definition an emergency stop cannot be planned for, and will be
>>completely unexpected but the potential effects of one can be reduced.
>>One of the most common reasons for a rapid or immediate stop is when a
>>vehicle pulls out in front of a cyclist - a typical SMIDSY.
>>
>>Anything loose - will be flung forward - in this case a child. An
>>unrestrained child on the front may be propelled at speed off the bike
>>and into the vehicle or on to the road or into the handlebar clutter.
>>Alternatively they may be crushed by the adult as they too move forward.
>>In addition, with the weight on the front the chance of a
>>head-over-the-handlebars situation increases.
>>
>>Worse still is if the rider hits the obstruction and doesn't even manage
>>to stop. The immediate forces will propel the child and/or rider.
>>
>>Yes, there are also risks from having the child on the rear or in a
>>trailer but they are lower. The child will still be propelled forward if
>>in a rear seat, but at least they will have something soft in front of
>>them and not have the weight of an adult (or bike) bearing on them from behind.
>>
>>One favourable aspect of having the child on the front is that the
>>parent/rider can feel closer to the child and thus the 'bonding' and
>>interaction is more pleasant. then again they are not protected from the
>>elements and a young child feels cold to a much greater extent than adults.
>>
>>IMO this is a no-brainer.
>>Carrying children on the front of bikes has far more risks than on the
>>rear and is not something I would ever advise.

> Hmmm - I'd say that the primary safety is higher with front seats,
> even if I agree with you about secondary safety.
>
> Mainly for when parking up, or pushing the bike, admnittedly. But
> having the seat nearer the CoG means fewer bizarre torques tending to
> make the bike fall over.

It seems to me that John B (and others) are performing the usual "safety
enthusiast" trick: visualizing all possible scenarios, and fixating on
the worst case scenario.

Is pushing a bike with a baby seat more difficult than pushing an
unladen bike? Yes, by a small amount. Is it beyond the capability of
an ordinary human being? Hardly.

Can the rider take a fall when riding with the child in a seat? I
suppose so. Does it happen often? Very doubtful. (Of the hundreds of
cyclists I know, I've never heard of this happening.) Would the child
be seriously injured? Very, very doubtful.

In my view, these worries are part of the "Bicycling is extremely
dangerous" mindset, generated by an ultra-safe society where the minimum
daily requirements of fears have to be manufactured out of nothing.

Again, if someone is going to claim baby seats on bikes are so very
dangerous, I think they should present data showing it's true. As it
is, they are still selling at reasonable prices in the most litigious
country in the world. AFAIK, the CPSC, the NHTSA, Safe Kids Inc., and
the National Association of Worriers and Handwringers have not
campaigned against them at all. That puts their danger level below that
of (horrors!) playgrounds without rubber padding.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>... I've taken four children the tandem route
> (after trailers and seats) with occasional forays onto our Hannington

trailerbike.
> The latter has had them freewheeling at times.
> However, I do agree about the cost and it can be expensive, but luckily
> with four we were able to make teh most of the outlay.

There's a gap here; at least there was for my kids.

Even with the tandem seat at its lowest setting and with pedal blocks, they
were 8 or 9 before they could ride on the tandem.

They had given up the seat on the back of the bike long before, at maybe 3.

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Is pushing a bike with a baby seat more difficult than pushing an
> unladen bike? Yes, by a small amount. Is it beyond the capability of
> an ordinary human being? Hardly.
> Again, if someone is going to claim baby seats on bikes are so very
> dangerous, I think they should present data showing it's true. As it
> is, they are still selling at reasonable prices in the most litigious
> country in the world. AFAIK, the CPSC, the NHTSA, Safe Kids Inc., and
> the National Association of Worriers and Handwringers have not
> campaigned against them at all. That puts their danger level below that
> of (horrors!) playgrounds without rubber padding.

Frank's in full rant mode, but I have to agree with him.

We're comparing the ability of different size pins to hold angels.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >... I've taken four children the tandem route
> > (after trailers and seats) with occasional forays onto our Hannington

> trailerbike.
> > The latter has had them freewheeling at times.
> > However, I do agree about the cost and it can be expensive, but luckily
> > with four we were able to make teh most of the outlay.

> There's a gap here; at least there was for my kids.
>
> Even with the tandem seat at its lowest setting and with pedal blocks, they
> were 8 or 9 before they could ride on the tandem.

Mine went on between 3 1/2 and 4 yrs but the kiddiecrank attachments
was high on the frame. as they grew the saddle went up then teh
attachment was moved down the froame to its lowest. they came off at
between 7 and 8 and moved onto solo bikes.
I'm going to guess your kiddiecranks were set high, perhaps because of a
lateral tube (a common problem)?

> They had given up the seat on the back of the bike long before, at maybe 3.

Yes, three was the age for our first too, who used a seat. However a
trailer can easily be used for all ages up to solo use, so aother vote
for the trailer as it can fill the 'gap' - and more.

John B

"Sverre Amundsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<opsb9i17b0vapsmc@pr6370>...
> On 5 Aug 2004 05:26:11 -0700, Rory <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Some trailer plus points:

> [snip]
>
> > * Exhaust fumes measured in a child trailer are lower than inside
> > a car
> > * Studies in Germany show that even in the case of impact with a car,
> > the trailer being light is shunted out of the way, rather than
> > crushed.

> Can you document this? I'd like to read these studies myself. I'm not
> trying to troll, I own a trailer, but I'm very concerned about using it
> anywhere close to traffic.

The main research was done by TÜV Rheinland and the Allianz-Zentrum
für Technik (AZT), there is an article about it here ("Des Zöglings
Sänfte" - "The Pulled/Pupil Gently??") with pictures of the
crashtests:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1033/9602anhaenger.html

Loads of german sites quote it, so fire off a query with "kinder",
"fahrrad", "anhänger" plus "Allianz" should return plenty of hits.
As for the exhaust aspect, I haven't yet been able to refind the
website where I read this (still looking), but it had an interesting
graphic that showed the cross section of a city street with the toxic
gas concentrations: it looked something like (excuse the bad ascii
art):

-
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
====================|=====================
centre line

With the highest concentration between the two lanes. There was a
note that said that even higher concentrations were measured inside
cars themselves.

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Rory wrote:
> <snip>
> > * Get a good coupling (Becco or Weber are my favourites) - don't
> > use the Trek / Burley clamp-on one, it is utter ****, and interferes
> > with the wheels when turning on many bikes.
> > * Ensure the coupling is firmly attached (I don't like the QR skewer
> > ones)
> > * Always use a secondary retainer strap in case the coupling breaks

> I have a Trek ball in socket coupling that goes on the rear axle that came
> with my Rocket and it works very well. I wonder of your experience was on
> older designs. It also has a built-in secondary strap in case of failure,
> which has not been needed after daily use for the past couple of summers.
>
> We keep one on each of our (my wife and my) town bikes for easy trailer
> swapping. We just got the socket part since they don't have QRs and that
> makes them pretty permanent and solid.
>
> I agree the clamp-ons are a bad idea, even though I've never used one they
> don't look as reliable as an axle mount.

My brother had the clamp-on on his Trek trailer: we couldn't get it to
not interfer with the spokes (no enough clearance between chainstay &
wheel with his 7 speed hub), plus it was very hard to get the QR tight
enough so that it wouldn't move. We went around to his local trailer
expert (this is in Munich, Germany) who took one look at it, sucked in
his breath and said the Barvarian equivalent of "they all do that".
He sold us the ball and socket one, which has been fine.

I have a Becco which consists of a pair of ally triangles that clamp
between seat & chain stays, which works well - I have to hitch/unhitch
twice a day five days a week, so ease of use is important. The
Elastomer link seemed like a bad idea, but it has worked well, the
bike's been laid down a few times too many without damaging it. The
Weber would have been my first choice, though.

Get a trailer. You can also load 'em up with water, food, diapers,
baby-butt wipes, and so on... They can keep the kids dry if you get caught
in a shower, too.

Dave

news:[email protected]...

On 6 Aug 2004 02:41:05 -0700, Rory <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sverre Amundsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On 5 Aug 2004 05:26:11 -0700, Rory <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Some trailer plus points:

>> [snip]
>>
>> > * Exhaust fumes measured in a child trailer are lower than inside
>> > a car
>> > * Studies in Germany show that even in the case of impact with a car,
>> > the trailer being light is shunted out of the way, rather than
>> > crushed.

>> Can you document this? I'd like to read these studies myself. I'm not
>> trying to troll, I own a trailer, but I'm very concerned about using it
>> anywhere close to traffic.

> The main research was done by TÜV Rheinland and the Allianz-Zentrum
> für Technik (AZT), there is an article about it here ("Des Zöglings
> Sänfte" - "The Pulled/Pupil Gently??") with pictures of the
> crashtests:
> http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1033/9602anhaenger.html

Thanks! I don't understand a word of German, but my brother lives in
Germany. I sent it to him for translation and further research.

Sverre

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:57:23 -0500, "Sverre Amundsen"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On 6 Aug 2004 02:41:05 -0700, Rory <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Sverre Amundsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> [snip]

>>> Can you document this? I'd like to read these studies myself. I'm not
>>> trying to troll, I own a trailer, but I'm very concerned about using it
>>> anywhere close to traffic.

>> The main research was done by TÜV Rheinland and the Allianz-Zentrum
>> für Technik (AZT), there is an article about it here ("Des Zöglings
>> Sänfte" - "The Pulled/Pupil Gently??") with pictures of the
>> crashtests:
>> http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1033/9602anhaenger.html
>>

>Thanks! I don't understand a word of German, but my brother lives in
>Germany. I sent it to him for translation and further research.

If you could post what he sends you onto the group I, for one, would
be obliged.

--
Cheers,
Euan