Child obesity due to lack of bike paths

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by coppershark, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. coppershark

    coppershark New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Heard a snatch on radio 3AW (Melbourne) today which I understood to say that some researcher who should be blind by now reckons that a lot of child obesity in Melbourne is due to a lack of bike paths! Now for the benefit of non Mexicans I must advise the Melbourne has a magnificent network of bike paths for those who are so inclined. Obviously however not enough of these go past Melbourne's primary schools!

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876

    G'day,

    I heard the same report....I'm sure the researcher that came up with this theory, got a magnificent grant to research this...courtesy of us tax payers. What he probably meant to say was that too many of the bike paths go past Maccas, KFC, Hungry jacks etc etc LOL.........,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    perhaps refer to the boroondara thread re this

    Yes, very few paths go past school. the council engineer stated that many schools these days actually ban (or discourage) kids from riding to school (probably to ge tout of the way of mum in the Pajero:mad: :mad: :mad: )

    Can kids really eat bike paths???
    No wonder they are obese:D

  4. Stu

    Stu Guest

    > Yes, very few paths go past school. the council engineer stated that
    > many schools these days actually ban (or discourage) kids from riding
    > to school (probably to ge tout of the way of mum in the Pajero:mad:
    > :mad: :mad: )
    Some schools discourage bike baths i.e. Mt Lilydale College in you guessed it Lilydale. To many drug
    dealers you know. stu

  5. rhino

    rhino New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2003
    I don't think its lack of bike paths, more like an increase in computer game usage and large amounts of take-away.

    Have you noticed that there are no kids playing outside anymore?????

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    that's cos of the load of boll0x called 'stranger danger'

    we live in a society where we are all scared out of our wits of EVERYTHING. John Howard's world!

    The statistic nobody mentions is that less than 0.1% of kids assaults, molestation is due to strangers. 99.9+% is at the hands of people/relatives they know!!!

    Due more to what parents drum into them rather than the choices kids themselves make. After all, who bought the Xbox?

  7. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    Too true.

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    But dont forget, He had 'mandate'

    yeah right, If youre maths is bad enought to think 39% of the vote is a mandate. The midget has some b0ll0x on him...

    AND nobody voted for him when asked either. Never mind. An election looms. So lets give Mr Steel a well deserved holiday!

  9. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:10:01 +0000, flyingdutch wrote:

    > Yes, very few paths go past school. the council engineer stated that many schools these days
    > actually ban (or discourage) kids from riding to school (probably to ge tout of the way of mum in
    > the Pajero:mad: :mad: :mad: )

    Yeah I don't get this - they should organise a bike bus so the kids can ride safely to school.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ -
    news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:10:01 +0000, flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, very few paths go past school. the council engineer stated that many schools these days
    > > actually ban (or discourage) kids from riding to school (probably to ge tout of the way of mum
    > > in the Pajero:mad: :mad: :mad: )
    >
    > Yeah I don't get this - they should organise a bike bus so the kids can ride safely to school.

    Paah! and not drive their shiny, new, BMW X5's to the school!?

    hippy

  11. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Yep, a few more bikes or tennis raquets instead of dvd players and computer games. I really don't
    think that the ride to school is that much more dangerous for kids than it was 15-20 years ago when
    I rode my bike to school every sunny day. There is more traffic about these days but there are bike
    paths (during rush hours)to counter-act this.

    Raise the driving age to 18 before you get your 'L's and the cool kids won't be able to drive to
    school either.

    Still remember riding halfway across town to help a mate of mine build jumps on 'our' bmx track.
    (hehe, we charged lollies for other kids to use it...)

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:vfy%[email protected]...
    > rhino wrote:
    > > I don't think its lack of bike paths, more like an increase in
    computer
    > > game usage and large amounts of take-away. Have you noticed that there are no kids playing
    > > outside anymore?????
    >

    > that's cos of the load of boll0x called 'stranger danger'
    >
    > we live in a society where we are all scared out of our wits of EVERYTHING. John Howard's world!
    >
    > The statistic nobody mentions is that less than 0.1% of kids assaults, molestation is due to
    > strangers. 99.9+% is at the hands of people/relatives they know!!!
    >
    > Due more to what parents drum into them rather than the choices kids themselves make. After all,
    > who bought the Xbox?
    >

    > --

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Ah, yes.

    a few doors up from my place is a currently vacant block (no doubt waiting council approval to build some sh1t piece of mock-georgian shlock!!!).

    Anyways, the local kids have obviously been busy this weekend cos they have built a rather well-designed jump there.

    Couldnt resist so turned around and took my mtb commuter
    (with racks/panniers) over it! A new world record!
    Grinning like an idiot, woman with one of those footballs-disguised-as-yappy-dogs walks past with a very indignant look on her face. LOL

    Bet the kids didnt know that the block also accomodates a fox!
    (yep, in the wilds of Nth Balwyn. see him quite regularly at dawn.
    rolling out on a bike is very quiet and you see all kinds wierd stuff)

    A lolly-usage toll. you could be onto something there...

  13. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:30:47 +1100, hippy wrote:

    >> Yeah I don't get this - they should organise a bike bus so the kids can ride safely to school.
    >
    > Paah! and not drive their shiny, new, BMW X5's to the school!?

    They should get those BMW+Williams road bikes! (see review, last months Bicycling Australia)

    I'm imaging mums in tight lycra on very expensive road bikes... They'ed cruise[1] past in a pod,
    kids held protectively within the peleton (true bike-bus style), glinting chrome and flowing hair
    freewheeling past in the crisp morning air & sunshine.

    Now that would stop traffic!

    -kt

    [1] 'cruise' adj.: aus.bicycle trademark version, specifically meaning to ride along a flat road at
    top speed, but without significant exertion.

  14. wassupdawg

    wassupdawg New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    I think you just described every school day in Switzerland, Kingsley

    friends just got back from Hols their and were astounded at not only how civilised the place was but how bike-centric it all was. Not to mention the astounding price-tags on even the most average (for them) street bikes going about.
    rohloff hubs on your shopper, etc

    Now, back to those blondes on bikes...