child seat

Liz wrote:
> Hi all,
> As my little girl approaches her first birthday, I'm thinking of getting a
> bike seat for her. Looking on ebay I found the WeeRide.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220049904905
>
> Has anyone seen this in real life? Any thoughts or opinions? And in general,
> what should I be looking for in a baby's bike seat?
> Thanks very much,
> Liz

I've used a rear mounted child seat for both my kids upto about 3yo
(ie about 18kg). That worked pretty well although it does put
extra load on the rear wheel.

I've not tried the seat you're looking at. I like the idea of having
the kid in front and kind of shielded by arms and legs. My main
criticism of it would be that it would interfere with pedalling. It
looks to me like you would have to pedal with your knees out. That's
fine for short trips but if you have a longer ride with one or two
hills, frankly, it would give me the *****!

Things to look for are secure, easy to use 3 or 4 point harness. Also,
a secure system to hold kids feet - you don't want them poking their
feet into moving bits of the bike. I'd also go for a seat that can
be installed and removed easily for when you want to use the bike
without taking sprog with you. Mine was sufficiently easily removed
that when on one ride my daughter went to sleep, I got home, slid
the seat off and carried it and daughter into her bedroom for one of
her daytime sleeps (helmet still on!).

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

I see one occasionally here in Brisbane - a dad with his maybe two year old daughter. She looks like she's really into it and he looks very comfortable.

As a kid, my dad had something similar. It was just a small metal butt shaped seat with foot pegs and no backrest, which was mounted to the top tube of his bike. I seem to remember it to be quite comfortable for both...

Cheers,
Lotte

Liz wrote:
> Hi all,
> As my little girl approaches her first birthday, I'm thinking of getting a
> bike seat for her. Looking on ebay I found the WeeRide.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220049904905
>
> Has anyone seen this in real life? Any thoughts or opinions? And in general,
> what should I be looking for in a baby's bike seat?
> Thanks very much,
> Liz

This is what I used for my daughter up till she was 4 then she graduated
to the trailer bike.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/BikeCorp-Beto-Deluxe-Baby-Seat-pr-21271.html

I did a lot of riding with this and she was very happy with it. I have
seen a few dads who are a trifle "large" with the rear child seat
leaving the child with very little space, and have also seen a mum with
a backpack who couldn't work out hwy the baby kept crying until I
pointed out the backpack was hitting the girl in the face. So not a bad
idea to get the view of someone else when you start out with a rear seat.

DaveB

DaveB said:
This is what I used for my daughter up till she was 4 then she graduated to the trailer bike.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/BikeCorp-Beto-Deluxe-Baby-Seat-pr-21271.html

That's what we use too. It's worth working out how to tilt the seat back before your daughter goes to sleep, rather than trying to figure it out after she is already asleep. Due to the lack of rear carry space, we added a Topeak handlebar DX bag, which becomes my wife's handbag on cycling trips, as well as carrying mini pump, puncture repair kit. Hand bags carry lots of stuff :)

I've got one red flashing light on the rack, and another higher up on the seat. I've also put white reflective tape on the sides. I'm yet to find a source for small quantities of red scotchlite tape at reasonable prices. My daughter doesn't go out much at night, but the child seat tends to stay on when my wife goes out alone. The two flashing lights with one mounted high are very noticeable.

If you've got lots of money, and intend to carry more than one child, then a Christiania Bike might be appropriate if you don't live in a hilly area.
http://www.christianiabikes.com/english/uk_main.htm
Room for 2 kids and the weekly shopping.

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Liz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> As my little girl approaches her first birthday, I'm thinking of getting a
>> bike seat for her. Looking on ebay I found the WeeRide.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220049904905
>>
>> Has anyone seen this in real life? Any thoughts or opinions? And in general,
>> what should I be looking for in a baby's bike seat?
>> Thanks very much,
>> Liz

> This is what I used for my daughter up till she was 4 then she graduated to
> the trailer bike.
>
> http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/BikeCorp-Beto-Deluxe-Baby-Seat-pr-21271.html
>
> I did a lot of riding with this and she was very happy with it. I have seen a
> few dads who are a trifle "large" with the rear child seat leaving the child
> with very little space, and have also seen a mum with a backpack who couldn't
> work out hwy the baby kept crying until I pointed out the backpack was
> hitting the girl in the face. So not a bad idea to get the view of someone
> else when you start out with a rear seat.

That is the exact one I've got and it is great. Come off the bike pretty
easily in less than a couple of seconds and has really handy storage
compartments under the seat. 10/10.

Fraser

"ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> If you've got lots of money, and intend to carry more than one child,
> then a Christiania Bike might be appropriate if you don't live in a
> hilly area.
> http://www.christianiabikes.com/english/uk_main.htm
> Room for 2 kids and the weekly shopping.
>

> --
> ghostgum

I love those! Unfortunately we wouldn't have room for it, even if we could
afford it. But I do like the idea of the child being in front and visible
while riding - I've even wondered if you could modify one of those
Filibus(?) courier bikes, but again we don't have room for another whole
bike.

Liz