Child trailers

Grant Collins

Guest
Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on a good child carrier for
an MTB? I'm looking at one of those two seater trailer thingies (pretty
expensive!) and from what I can see they attach with a clamp to both parts
of the frame near the left rear axle, which I presume excludes the
possibility of fitting them to a bike with rear disk brakes..?

Are ther any particular features or brands I should be looking at? Also, do
kids have to wear helmets when seated in one of these things?

Cheers,
Grant

"Grant Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on a good child carrier

for
> an MTB? I'm looking at one of those two seater trailer thingies (pretty
> expensive!) and from what I can see they attach with a clamp to both parts
> of the frame near the left rear axle, which I presume excludes the
> possibility of fitting them to a bike with rear disk brakes..?

Some only clamp to the LH chainstay. Mine was a Winchester (now owned by
Koolstop) and would have accommodated disc brakes.

> Are ther any particular features or brands I should be looking at?

Koolstop and Burley are two of the better ones I've seen in use. Many of the
trailers seat two kids side by side. If you can find one that seats the kids
alternating facing front and rear this is more sociable for the kids. Make
sure the trailer has a robust all-over steel cage. The best ones (or
probably most of them now) collapse to suitcase size with the wheelsand
hitch inside, great for transporting in the car. Do not bother with the
original Cannondale Bugger (c.1989), a great heavy, expensive lump of
plastic with no suspension for the kids.

> Also, do kids have to wear helmets when seated in one of these things?

Under current Victorian laws, yes.

Cheers
Peter

Greetings,
I think it's a good idea if the kid wears a helmet as
well, that way if you crash the bike or something hits you they have
some nominal protection. The trailers are undoubtedly expensive, and
second-hand ones are rare.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray Peace <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Greetings,
> I think it's a good idea if the kid wears a helmet as
> well, that way if you crash the bike or something hits you they have
> some nominal protection.

YOu mean apart from the roll cage they're in? I tried putting a helmet
on my son when he was in the trailer. It pushes his head too far
forward, and it's a fair bit of weight. Admittedly he's only 18
months, so we'll try again in a bit.

The default Koolstop hitch probably won't work too well with disk
brakes, and most rear suspension designs will give you grief. However,
you can order (for <$50 incl. freight) a "universal mount kit", which
attaches to the axle. Burley have a similar design, and are easily
available in Australia under the Trek badge.

AFAIK Koolstop aren't being brought into the country at the moment,
but bike shops may have one floating around. I think Northside Cyclery
in Chatswood (Sydney) have a Papoose Caboose, and I'm fairly sure
Phantom still has a Lil Trooper.

Dave - who has a Papoose Caboose

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
O Canada, we stand ready to sit down and discuss our problems in a

"Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ray Peace <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > Greetings,
> > I think it's a good idea if the kid wears a helmet as
> > well, that way if you crash the bike or something hits you they have
> > some nominal protection.

> YOu mean apart from the roll cage they're in? I tried putting a helmet
> on my son when he was in the trailer. It pushes his head too far
> forward, and it's a fair bit of weight. Admittedly he's only 18
> months, so we'll try again in a bit.

You're right about this. When I first got the Winchester (late '91) the
helmet laws didn't cover child-trailers. In fact the only law applying was
the one that says it is illegal to carry passengers in a trailer (caravan).
We bought a child Bell helmet for my son, but the effect on his neck when
wearing it was more of a hazard for him than the risk of an accident. We
never used that helmet on either of the kids. In fact the cage and the
5-point harness are really very effective, and in any minor 'offs' your bike
will go down but the trailer remains upright due to the universal pivoting
hitch.

The only serious accident we had was my fault - hit an obscured concrete
drain cover in grass on a bend in a bike track. The trailer flipped 270 deg,
and my boy was screaming. But the harness held him securely and the cage
protected him fully, without the helmet. No real excuse I know, and I've
learned to be more observant and cautious. I know it's law but still don't
like the helmet forcing a small head forward with most trailer slung seats.

Cheers
Peter

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:43:27 +1000, Peter Signorini wrote:

> I know it's law but still don't
> like the helmet forcing a small head forward with most trailer slung seats.

Especially when they goto sleep.

-kt