Child trailers

Owen M. Astley

Guest
Hi,

I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
real-life - I live in Reading).

I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
trip).

It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
pannier - is this likely to be a problem?

Is there anything else that I might not have thought of?

Thanks,
Owen

In message
<4a709f67-a18a-49da-b9e4-cd346105dd42@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> writes
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
>was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
>importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
>real-life - I live in Reading).
>
>I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
>intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
>trip).
>
>It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
>pannier - is this likely to be a problem?

I'd start by hitting Googlegroups, as this topic has been discussed
before a few times. Do you have a budget in mind?

There is a useful list with manufacturer links here:

<http://www.atob.org.uk/trailer_price_tag.html>

I've got a Chariot trailer, which I've had for about 5 1/2 years
--
Chris French

Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
> was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
> importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
> real-life - I live in Reading).

Several cycle shops in Oxford have cycle trailers in stock, or at
least used to do so: Walton Street Cycles has/had Chariot Cougars &
Warlands on the Botley Road usually have something in the shop
whenever I go in.

Give them a ring and see what they've got?

> I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
> intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
> trip).

The Chariots go flat(ish) but are not cheap!

> It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
> pannier - is this likely to be a problem?

The Chariot hitch replaces the skewer, so a disk brake shouldn't be a
problem. Or there's a Weber hitch version, which should also work I
think.

cheers, Phil

On Mar 13, 2:26 pm, chris French <[email protected]>
wrote:
> In message
> <4a709f67-a18a-49da-b9e4-cd346105d...@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> writes
>
> >I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
> >was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
> >importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
> >real-life - I live in Reading).

> >I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
> >intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
> >trip).

> >It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
> >pannier - is this likely to be a problem?

> I'd start by hitting Googlegroups, as this topic has been discussed
> before a few times. Do you have  a budget in mind?
>
> There is a useful list with manufacturer links here:
>
> <http://www.atob.org.uk/trailer_price_tag.html>
>
> I've got a Chariot  trailer, which I've had for about 5 1/2 years

I did expect google groups to have something, but couldn't find many
comments - oddly enough. Must have missed them.

No real budget in mind - I've really got a list of what I want. I'd
be quite happy paying any of the prices on the list that you gave
(which seems to be very useful - many thanks).

Owen

On Mar 13, 3:30 pm, Phil Armstrong <[email protected]> wrote:
> Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
> > was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
> > importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
> > real-life - I live in Reading).

> Several cycle shops in Oxford have cycle trailers in stock, or at
> least used to do so: Walton Street Cycles has/had Chariot Cougars &
> Warlands on the Botley Road usually have something in the shop
> whenever I go in.
>
> Give them a ring and see what they've got?
>
> > I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
> > intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
> > trip).

> The Chariots go flat(ish) but are not cheap!
>
> > It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
> > pannier - is this likely to be a problem?

> The Chariot hitch replaces the skewer, so a disk brake shouldn't be a
> problem. Or there's a Weber hitch version, which should also work I
> think.

Thanks. Are these going to have issues with being hitched/unhitched
daily? Or are they designed to be left there for longer?

Owen

Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The Chariot hitch replaces the skewer, so a disk brake shouldn't be a
>> problem. Or there's a Weber hitch version, which should also work I
>> think.

> Thanks. Are these going to have issues with being hitched/unhitched
> daily? Or are they designed to be left there for longer?

I don't think either of the hitch designs would have any trouble being
hitched / unhitched on a daily basis.

Phil

On Mar 13, 1:03 pm, "Owen M. Astley" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
> was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
> importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
> real-life - I live in Reading).
>
> I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
> intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
> trip).
>
> It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
> pannier - is this likely to be a problem?
>
> Is there anything else that I might not have thought of?

The standard Burley hitch (which is a large plastic contraption that
first in the rear triangle stay) won't work with a disc break. They
have a hitch that replaces the quick release skewer, and we've been
using this relaibly for several years, the trailer now mostly does
shopping runs the kids are on their own bikes now

--
Dan

On Mar 13, 1:03 pm, "Owen M. Astley" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a bike trailer for a child (from about 9 months), and
> was wondering what people would recommend (and probably more
> importantly, where I might be able to find a shop so I can see them in
> real-life - I live in Reading).
>
> I'm thinking of something which will survive being collapsed daily (I
> intend to use it one way, and it'll be put in a car for the return
> trip).
>
> It'll also need to be attached to a bike with disc brakes and a rear
> pannier - is this likely to be a problem?
>
> Is there anything else that I might not have thought of?
>
> Thanks,
> Owen

Owen,

I have a croozer (croozer.co.uk). I bought it about a year ago
following much deliberation and review-reading. I had previously had a
go of a Chariot (£££!) and one of the cheaper Trek ones.

If you're going to hitch / unhitch daily, then I would obviously look
carefully at the hitch - the croozer has a nice easy fastener and
comes with two 'leave on the bike attached via the quick release
skewer' fastening points. the Croozer for me was a good balance
between £ and weight. It also has spoked wheels which I liked, and
comes with both running and stroller wheels included. I bought the
single seater, and would probably buy the double if back in the same
position again. There's very little difference in width, and the
flexibility would be useful.

My son (not quite two) loves it, and I find it surprisingly easy to
tow - he asks to go it in.

Bear in mind that I'm not qualified to compare the croozer to others;
that's just the one I know best...

hope that's useful,
M.

In message <[email protected]>, Phil Armstrong
<[email protected]> writes
>Owen M. Astley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The Chariot hitch replaces the skewer, so a disk brake shouldn't be a
>>> problem. Or there's a Weber hitch version, which should also work I
>>> think.

>> Thanks. Are these going to have issues with being hitched/unhitched
>> daily? Or are they designed to be left there for longer?

>I don't think either of the hitch designs would have any trouble being
>hitched / unhitched on a daily basis.

Sorry, I hadn't actually completed by other post - it was supposed to be
saved not posted.

I bought a Weber hitch version when I bought my Chariot (it's the
Chauffeur IIRC) as they had a different hitch style from their current
two part one. A clamp style IIRC which I didn't like the look of quite
so much for daily hitching/unhitching. The newer hitch looks better -
I'd have probably gone for that if it'd been around as The Weber costs
more though

The Weber hitch consists of a male part mounted on universal joint
arrangement on the bike - either fitted to a metal bit that fits on the
end of the axle held on by Qr or nut - which would be fine with Discs
(there is a sidestand version which probably wouldn't be I guess)

There is a female part on the bike. They push together and twist to lock
- there is a key operated lock for a bit of security. Other than getting
a bit stiff to push together take apart (a bit of silcone oil spray
sorts that). It all works well.

The Chariots fold very easy and quickly. in the rear of the trailer
there are two metal pins, pull them out and then just push down the back
of the trailer and it folds down. Wheels are on QR's so come out quick.
If necessary to fit in the car the tow bar pulls out as well easily.
--
Chris French