childhood diabetes / diet

Doe

------

Childhood Diabetes: Is Diet a Major Culprit?

Meat and Dairy Associated With Higher Risk, Cereals With Lower Risk By Laurie Barclay, MD

WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Dr. Richard Roberson June 30, 2000 -- Eating more meat and dairy
products has been linked to a higher rate of type 1 diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes), and
having a diet heavy in plant products -- especially cereals -- was tied to less type 1 diabetes, a
recent study suggests. So does this mean that serving oatmeal instead of bacon cheeseburgers will
prevent your child from getting diabetes?

Read more at: http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1728.58930

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

[email protected] (doe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ------
>
> Childhood Diabetes: Is Diet a Major Culprit?
>
> Meat and Dairy Associated With Higher Risk, Cereals With Lower Risk By Laurie Barclay, MD
>
> WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Dr. Richard Roberson June 30, 2000 -- Eating more meat and dairy
> products has been linked to a higher rate of type 1 diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes),
> and having a diet heavy in plant products -- especially cereals -- was tied to less type 1
> diabetes, a recent study suggests. So does this mean that serving oatmeal instead of bacon
> cheeseburgers will prevent your child from getting diabetes?
>
> Read more at: http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1728.58930

> ------
>
> Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
> http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
> http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

Is this the study referenced? I notice that the report does not give the studies name or the name of
the authors, yet again. Kinda fishy.

***************************

Carbohydrate intake and biomarkers of glycemic control among US adults: the third National Health
and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)1,2,3 Eun Ju Yang, Jean M Kerver, Yi Kyung Park, Jean
Kayitsinga, David B Allison and Won O Song 1 From the Food and Nutrition Database Research Center,
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing (EJY, JMK,
and WOS); the School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston (YKP); the Michigan Public Health
Institute, Okemos (JK); and the Department of Biostatistics, Section on Statistical Genetics and the
Clinical Nutrition Research Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham (DBA).

Background: Recommendations for preventing and treating type 2 diabetes include consuming
carbohydrates, predominantly from whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and low-fat milk. However, the
quantity and type of carbohydrates consumed may contribute to disorders of glycemic control.

Objective: We evaluated the association between carbohydrate intakes and biomarkers of glycemic
control in a nationally representative sample of healthy US adults who participated in a
cross-sectional study, the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

Design: The sample (5730 men and 6125 women aged ≥ 20 y) was divided into quintiles of
carbohydrate intake (as a percentage of energy). Carbohydrate intakes were examined in relation to
glycated hemoglobin (Hb A1c), plasma glucose, serum C-peptide, and serum insulin concentrations by
using logistic regression.

Results: Carbohydrate intakes were not associated with Hb A1c, plasma glucose, or serum insulin
concentrations in men or women after adjustment for confounding variables. Carbohydrate intakes were
inversely associated with serum C-peptide concentrations in men and women. Odds ratios for elevated
serum C-peptide concentrations for increasing quintiles of carbohydrate intake were 1.00, 0.88,
0.57, .39, and 0.75 (P for trend = 0.016) in men, and 1.00, 0.69, 0.57, .36, and 0.41 (P for trend =
0.007) in women. When carbohydrate intakes were further adjusted for intakes of total and added
sugar, the association of serum C-peptide with carbohydrate intakes was strengthened in men.

Conclusions: Carbohydrate intakes were not associated with Hb A1c, plasma glucose, or serum insulin
concentrations but were inversely associated with the risk of elevated serum C-peptide; this
supports current recommendations regarding carbohydrate intake in healthy adults.

*******************

Dr David Allison, the top research ***** of the pharmaceutical and food industries strikes again.

Here are links to various studies that a certain Dr DB Allison has been involved in. Most attempt to
find or demonstrate a link between genetics and obesity. This guy has put a lot of effort in showing
a link between genes and obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12537879&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12075568&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11319658&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10951545&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10547920&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10390261&dop-
t=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8782724&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7550524&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7726233&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7957015&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8081426&dopt=Abstract

This guy has been involved in no less than 11 studies that seem to want to insist that obesity
is genetic.

Who is this guy? Here is a biographical sketch:

http://www.soph.uab.edu/statgenetics/People/DAllison/dallison.html.

Quote:

"has been a member of the Board of Trustees for the International Life Science Institute, North
America, since January 2002."

Here are the corporate sponsors of the ILSI of which he is a member of the board of trustees.

http://www.ilsi.org/about/Assembly_of_Members.pdf

His CV says he is a member of the Advisory Board of the Partnership for the Promotion of Healthy
Eating and Active Lifestyles (PPHEAL). Here are their sponsors:

http://www.ppheal.org/our_sponsors.html

More copied and pasted from his CV:
· Member of Scientific Advisory Board for NutriPharma, Inc., 2000 – Present. · Consultant to
Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceuticals on the anit-obesity potential of their compound Topiramate, February,
2002. · Consultant to Mitos, Inc regarding the testing of novel anti-obesity compounds, 2000 - 2001.
· Consultant to Archer, Daniels, Midland Company, 2002. · Consultant to Merck Pharmaceuticals
regarding measurement and design issues in obesity related clinical trials, 2000. · Consultant to
Millennium Pharmaceuticals Incorporated on issues related to the genetic influences on obesity, 1999
– 2001. · Consultant to AMGEN on issues related to the clinical study of leptin as an
anti-obesity therapeutic, 1999. · Consultant to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals on issues related to the
treatment of human obesity, 1999. · Consultant to Fisons Corporation & Mediva Pharmaceuticals
regarding anti-obesity drug litigation, 1998.

· Consultant to Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals on weight gain with neuroleptic medication, 1997-Present.
· Consultant to Pfizer Central Research, Inc. on obesity related issues, 1997-Present. · Consultant
to Proctor & Gamble regarding olestra (Olean); 1998. · Consultant to Decision Resources on the
pharmacological treatment of obesity, October, 1999. · Member of “Panel of Evaluators”
for Current Drugs Ltd, a company that provides expert information on drugs under research and
development, 1998. · Consultant to Research Testing Laboratories, Inc. regarding clinical trials of
weight loss products including nutraceuticals and herbal preparations, 1996, 1999 - present. ·
Member of the Nutritional Advisory Board for Nabisco, Inc., 1994 - 2000. · Member of the United
Soybean Panel’s Nutrition Advisory Board, 1996
- Present. Chair of research grants committee, 1999 – present. · Member of the Wheat
Council’s panel of experts, 1998 – 2001. · Consultant to Knoll Pharmaceuticals
regarding issues in the pharmacological treatment of obesity
- Sept, 1996; April, 1997. · Consultant to Corning HTA (for a project sponsored by Wyeth Ayerst)
regarding the economic benefits of obesity treatment, 1996-1997. · Consultant to the journal
Patient Care on an article regarding the pharmacological treatment of obesity, 1997. ·
Consultant to Glaxo Pharmaceuticals regarding issues in the pharmacological treatment of obesity
- Sept, 1996.

What would happen if we all just accepted the idea that we have no control over obesity and
diabetes? Don't bother trying because it is all genetic anyways. Obesity and obesity related disease
would become the norm and the pharmaceutical industry would make a killing, literally and
figuratively.

Here is how obesity is genetic. For millions of years our species evolved with no refined
carbohydrates in our diet. Now we consume immense amounts of refined carbohydrates and we become
obese and diabetic in numbers never seen before. We are genetically hard-wired to live on a diet
with no refined carbohydrates.

TC