Children's Bike Trailers

Bubbajones

Feb 10, 2003
I am loking at getting a bike trailer for the kiddies to ride in so we can all go out with the bikes together. My children are 1 and 3 years old.

Any suggestions on what to get and where to look online for a supplier for a good deal?

I see that this question was asked recently but there were no replies. Any comments appreciated.

I'm a casual Child trailer user - I don't think you can do much racing like Ben Hur once loaded with two sprogs. But its great!

I use a 2 seater "Chariot" made in Canada - I take my 5 year old on a hillyish route 7km to school alternate mornings. Its quicker than by car! 35 mins. Jo'burg traffic is Terrrrible

I occasionally take the two sprogs, 2yr @ 13kg and 5yr @17 kg on about a 10 km ride which works well. But granny gears are an essential !

Things to look out for easy QR / strong mounting bracket

weather covers wet and sunny

A trailer flag is good for visibility

A good parking break

Room somewear for the play room, reading room, dining room and kitchen sink and you are set!

Oh and don't forget to tune your brakes up - things get slower slowly with the extra weight!

We have had ours for 3 years and it has been excellent - it is quite wide but the fact you can pack a tog bag and a laptop PC and kids bag in the back is great for commuting!

I dug into my filing system to reveal I am using a Chariot Carriers Cabriolet CTS which was 399,99 Canadian Dollars in 1999.

ChariotCarriers

My sprogs enjoy me "climbing hills" so they can shout go faster Daddy!

On the descents they say - Not too fast!

Get one and enjoy - Trailers that is!;)

Thanks for the info guys.

I have seen the trailer that I really really really like and it's the Chariot Cheetah 2. Problem is that for the jogging kit and bike attachment comes out at just under £400 :eek:

Like the look too of some of the other Chariot trailers as they look pretty good and it's good to hear personal experience of using a specific product.

Now all I need to do is persuade the old man that the £400 one is infinitely better than one half the price. Any suggestions? :D

Tracey

Hi Bubba, I am not sure if you need a one or two seater - a friend in the UK has a one seater altogether smaller but if family expansion is likely it's worth splashing out on the 2 seater.

The other good thing about these devices due to rarity value and quality of manufacture they seem to command a good price second hand.

Reasons to buy - the quality product.

* Constructed and designed to ensure safety and comfort
- no gripes from the sprogs about "The weather", we went out in a highveld thunderstorm (not recommended) like Noah's Flood! and although we were sodden, the kids were dry!

* Enables you to go to the pub, as a family and get fit!

* Chance to "Enjoy the countryside" and explore bridleways off the beaten track - I've used it on rough dust roads a lot with no problems.

Safety features and robust construction are excellent - If you seriously want to get the family mobile, don't compromise on the experience! It packs nicely down into a boot if you need to use it as a jogger - What more can I say - come and try ours!

Hi Bubba,
On my last response I realised after I sent it you have two sprogs! Sorry about that.

The next phase after the trailer is.... kiddy crank adaptors on the back of my tandem tricycle which our five year old is happy riding. Ii is actually a tricycle conversion set but makes it easier parking upand hopping on and off with out having to find a place to park the tandem up!

The kiddy crank adaptors and other unusual cycling goodies are available from George Longstaff Cycles - Chesterton- Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffs

Best of luck on the Marketing!
20238591.jpg

Bubbajones said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I have seen the trailer that I really really really like and it's the Chariot Cheetah 2. Problem is that for the jogging kit and bike attachment comes out at just under £400 :eek:

Like the look too of some of the other Chariot trailers as they look pretty good and it's good to hear personal experience of using a specific product.

Now all I need to do is persuade the old man that the £400 one is infinitely better than one half the price. Any suggestions? :D

Tracey
I bought the Cougar 1 and we have loved it. It is the only stroller we have now because it actually folds smaller than my Graco and is easier to use. It was the best baby purchase we made. Now we are selling it to get the Cougar 2. We have been told by a couple of bike shops that they hold their value well and we should be able to get 70 - 75% of what we paid for the cougar 1. Its a great stroller! -molly