Childrens bikes

Lol

Guest
Many helpful comments, but all firm recommendations have been priced in the
upper stratosphere (C£300), and no secondhand sources around here.
What's the negatives on this Dawes Bandit
http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B1192.html
It seems to have all the required good specs at a good price and can't see
any wasted garnish (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into
bikes nowadays!!!)

Many thanks for any views
Lol

"Lol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
<snipped interest in buying a kids bike>
> (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into bikes nowadays!!!)

Probably because these aren't features that kids think look cool on a
stylish bike. The marketing people will do their best to come up with a
product that sells best and will hold the view that these things can be
added at greater cost if needed by the purchaser.

Sorry I can't add any product suggestions but if you ask enthusiasts to
recommend any product (and by and large you'll be getting enthusiasts here
in this group), then you're likely to get a response that has outright price
further down the priority list than things like performance, usability,
reliability and value for money.

Paul

"Paul Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Lol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> <snipped interest in buying a kids bike>
>> (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into bikes nowadays!!!)
>>

> Probably because these aren't features that kids think look cool on a
> stylish bike. The marketing people will do their best to come up with a
> product that sells best and will hold the view that these things can be
> added at greater cost if needed by the purchaser.
>
> Sorry I can't add any product suggestions but if you ask enthusiasts to
> recommend any product (and by and large you'll be getting enthusiasts here
> in this group), then you're likely to get a response that has outright
> price further down the priority list than things like performance,
> usability, reliability and value for money.
>
> Paul

So the Dawes would be better liked at 3 times the price?? Don't follow the
logic.
Reason I was checking for advice is that last purchase was a Giant, well
recommended, and from a local bike shop (as I always try to support), but
pesky thing has proved heavy and cumbersome.
It was NOT cheap (for a child's bike) so that didn't work ;-)
Lol
Lol

Lol wrote:

> So the Dawes would be better liked at 3 times the price?? Don't follow the
> logic.

Note I'm not familiar with the product so cannot be sure, /but/ if it
was 3 times the cost and the money had been spent on genuinely useful
things for riding, as opposed to looking the part then it would be
better liked.

You generally get what you pay for, and as long as what you pay for is
relevant to your needs then in general more expensivce machines will do
a better job of it. Things like Islabikes exist because the mass market
does a relatively poor job of kids' cycles.

> Reason I was checking for advice is that last purchase was a Giant, well
> recommended, and from a local bike shop (as I always try to support), but
> pesky thing has proved heavy and cumbersome.
> It was NOT cheap (for a child's bike) so that didn't work ;-)

So the money didn't go on making it lighter. If the money had gone on
that, it would've been liked better...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Lol wrote:
> Many helpful comments, but all firm recommendations have been priced in the
> upper stratosphere (C£300), and no secondhand sources around here.
> What's the negatives on this Dawes Bandit
> http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B1192.html
> It seems to have all the required good specs at a good price and can't see
> any wasted garnish (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into
> bikes nowadays!!!)
>
> Many thanks for any views
> Lol

Nothing to speak of. Note you can build a heavy Aluminium frame too,
and ominously, no weight is listed.

Second hand abounds, you just need to keep looking. Ebay showed the
following:

Item: 270000780746

search under completed items. I would have paid up to 120, you could
even ask the seller for a price since this was probably around the
reserve. Knowing the value means you won't necessarily be outbid.

regards,
daren

"Lol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Paul Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Lol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> <snipped interest in buying a kids bike>
>>> (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into bikes
>>> nowadays!!!)
>>>

>> Probably because these aren't features that kids think look cool on a
>> stylish bike. The marketing people will do their best to come up with a
>> product that sells best and will hold the view that these things can be
>> added at greater cost if needed by the purchaser.
>>
>> Sorry I can't add any product suggestions but if you ask enthusiasts to
>> recommend any product (and by and large you'll be getting enthusiasts
>> here in this group), then you're likely to get a response that has
>> outright price further down the priority list than things like
>> performance, usability, reliability and value for money.
>>
>> Paul

> So the Dawes would be better liked at 3 times the price?? Don't follow the
> logic.

I'm not saying it's a better buy, I don't know enough about kids bikes to
comment but a combination of little Johnny saying he thinks it looks cool
and the bike salesman showing dad that it has longer lasting, lower
maintenance components compared to some other cheaper brand may be a winning
formula. There are "bikes" aka bike shaped objects that can be bought from
supermarket type stores for under £100. You can also buy something with the
same functions and features at several times this price, they wont be
comparable in terms of performance, reliability, ease of maintenance and
many other important considerations though.

> Reason I was checking for advice is that last purchase was a Giant, well
> recommended, and from a local bike shop (as I always try to support), but
> pesky thing has proved heavy and cumbersome.
> It was NOT cheap (for a child's bike) so that didn't work ;-)

Your mileage may vary - the bike I own is a Giant brand and its one of the
lightest in its category compared to other bikes of similar style and
functionality.

Paul

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:53:29 GMT, "Lol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Many helpful comments, but all firm recommendations have been priced in the
>upper stratosphere (C£300), and no secondhand sources around here.
>What's the negatives on this Dawes Bandit
>http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B1192.html
>It seems to have all the required good specs at a good price and can't see
>any wasted garnish (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into
>bikes nowadays!!!)
>
>Many thanks for any views

I've bought 8 children's bikes in the past year and have just put in
an order for an additional 12.

I do not like front suspension. I do not see a need for it for bikes
ridden on the road, but it is increasingly difficult to find a new
cheap bike with 24" wheels without front suspension. Raleigh no
longer make boys' bikes without front suspension, and that's a pity as
I can get a 40% discount on their list price.

The best value bikes I have bought have been from ebay. For one I
paid £5.50 and for the other I paid £4.99. Unfortunately you need
seem to need a rainy week to get the bikes at those prices as
comparable bikes are now going for £40 - £60.

The Dawes 201 Junior at £180 is 50-60 quid more expensive than the
Bandit, but a *much* better bike.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> The Dawes 201 Junior at £180 is 50-60 quid more expensive than the
> Bandit, but a *much* better bike.

And teh Islabikes Beinn24 is much better still. Good quality
components, designed for that sized child, and very light. For 20 quid
more, hardly a massive stretch in cost.

...d

Depends how much of a hurry you're in and if you're prepared to do a bit of
work, but \i've got two excellent Dawes off ebay for about £20 apiece. One,
eg, needed a new chain. £4 off ebay. Bide your time, set your search
criteria for a distance you're prepared to travel (you can turn it into a
day out in the country), keep looking, google listings to find out more
about them...gently gently catchee monkey...
"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Tom Crispin wrote:

> The Dawes 201 Junior at £180 is 50-60 quid more expensive than the
> Bandit, but a *much* better bike.

And teh Islabikes Beinn24 is much better still. Good quality
components, designed for that sized child, and very light. For 20 quid
more, hardly a massive stretch in cost.

...d

On 3 Jul 2006 14:52:44 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> The Dawes 201 Junior at £180 is 50-60 quid more expensive than the
>> Bandit, but a *much* better bike.

>And teh Islabikes Beinn24 is much better still. Good quality
>components, designed for that sized child, and very light. For 20 quid
>more, hardly a massive stretch in cost.

Very nice. I like the fact that it has eight gears. Children always
seem to find using chainring gears difficult.

in message <[email protected]>, Lol
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Paul Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Lol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> <snipped interest in buying a kids bike>
>>> (dammit why can't they build mudguards and lights into bikes
>>> nowadays!!!)
>>>

>> Probably because these aren't features that kids think look cool on a
>> stylish bike. The marketing people will do their best to come up with
>> a product that sells best and will hold the view that these things can
>> be added at greater cost if needed by the purchaser.
>>
>> Sorry I can't add any product suggestions but if you ask enthusiasts
>> to recommend any product (and by and large you'll be getting
>> enthusiasts here in this group), then you're likely to get a response
>> that has outright price further down the priority list than things
>> like performance, usability, reliability and value for money.

> So the Dawes would be better liked at 3 times the price?? Don't follow
> the logic.

No, the Dawes would be better liked if it was 3Kg lighter and had better
quality parts. Of course, that would make it three times the price.

;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XVI
;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair

Tom Crispin said:
I've bought 8 children's bikes in the past year and have just put in
an order for an additional 12.

I do not like front suspension. I do not see a need for it for bikes
ridden on the road, but it is increasingly difficult to find a new
cheap bike with 24" wheels without front suspension.
..

I'm with Tom on this one - I think suspension on kids bikes is pretty pointless. I don't think kids generally ride at the level or on the terrain to warrant it. It also upsets the handling of the bike at a time when kids are learning new skills - a rigid fork would provide much more direct feedback to the child, enabling them to improve their handling more rapidly. I'd save suspension until they're ready for proper off-roading I think.

Just my two pence on that.

My advice would be to go for Islabikes and teach the kids some simple bike maintenance (oiling the chain, fixing punctures, brake adjustment) so that they look after them and the bike lasts longer. Your Islabike thus treated will outlast 2 of your Bandits, provide more fun, and save you cash in the long run.

Cheers,

Wheelist

in message <[email protected]>, wheelist
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'm with Tom on this one - I think suspension on kids bikes is pretty
> pointless. I don't think kids generally ride at the level or on the
> terrain to warrant it.

A number of kids from my club - from as young as ten - compete in the
Scottish Cross Country series and do well. From eleven they're riding on
the same course (though many fewer laps) as the elite adults.
They /definitely/ warrant suspension.
http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/story/article_85.html

However in general I agree with you.

Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.