Children's Cycle Ride

Tilly

Guest
I took the four Year 6 children I've been giving on-road training to
for the last four weeks on a cycle ride this afternoon.

We used a combination of off-road cycle paths and mainly residential
roads. We cycled from Blackheath to the Woolwich Ferry, crossed the
Thames, and then re-crossed using the Woolwich Foot Tunnel.

One child, the only one without gears, had difficulty ascending the
hill from the Thames to Plumstead Common, but once up we were off
again.

In all, 15Km in 1h 45, including 15-20 mins waiting for and on the
ferry.

Three of the four will be cycling to school regularly next term, and
I've another 16 children lined up for cycle training next term.

A cycle training policy is being agreed by the school governors
tomorrow, and, if approved, on-road cycle training will become
embedded in our school's curriculum, from 2006, being offered to all
Year 5 and 6 (ages 9-11) children and to Year 4 (ages 8/9) children
during the Summer term.

Tilly wrote:

> I took the four Year 6 children I've been giving on-road training to
> for the last four weeks on a cycle ride this afternoon.

> Three of the four will be cycling to school regularly next term, and
> I've another 16 children lined up for cycle training next term.

Well done.
It's so satisfying when it all comes together.

Will you be giving any follow up training/advice to those who have
completed the course?

John B

Tilly wrote:
> I took the four Year 6 children I've been giving on-road training to
> for the last four weeks on a cycle ride this afternoon.
>
> We used a combination of off-road cycle paths and mainly residential
> roads. We cycled from Blackheath to the Woolwich Ferry, crossed the
> Thames, and then re-crossed using the Woolwich Foot Tunnel.
>
> One child, the only one without gears, had difficulty ascending the
> hill from the Thames to Plumstead Common, but once up we were off
> again.
>
> In all, 15Km in 1h 45, including 15-20 mins waiting for and on the
> ferry.
>
> Three of the four will be cycling to school regularly next term, and
> I've another 16 children lined up for cycle training next term.
>
> A cycle training policy is being agreed by the school governors
> tomorrow, and, if approved, on-road cycle training will become
> embedded in our school's curriculum, from 2006, being offered to all
> Year 5 and 6 (ages 9-11) children and to Year 4 (ages 8/9) children
> during the Summer term.

Bravo! This School Governor is listening with interest...

--
Chris

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:22:29 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tilly wrote:
>>
>> I took the four Year 6 children I've been giving on-road training to
>> for the last four weeks on a cycle ride this afternoon.

>> Three of the four will be cycling to school regularly next term, and
>> I've another 16 children lined up for cycle training next term.

>Well done.
>It's so satisfying when it all comes together.
>
>Will you be giving any follow up training/advice to those who have
>completed the course?

I'd like to, but it's not easy to find the time. At the end of each
lesson I give individual feedback - use of gears is one issue that
came up in today's ride. One girl I hope to take through the entire
course again as she lacks confidence.

My priority this year is to offer on-road cycle training to all Year 6
pupils before they move on to secondary school.