Chili Aioli Recipe?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 14, 2005.

  1. I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
    newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
    I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
    Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
    sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
    (almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
    used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
    a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
    also. Thanks in advance.

    -Shannon

    Tags:

  2. On 14 Jan 2005 11:26:08 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
    >newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
    >I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
    >Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
    >sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
    >(almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
    >used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
    >a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
    >also. Thanks in advance.
    >
    >-Shannon

    Try pounding some fresh chili (minus seeds) to a pulp, then mixing the
    result with salt, pepper and an egg yolk, and proceeding with oil like
    a standard mayo. Should work.

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  3. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
    > newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
    > I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
    > Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
    > sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
    > (almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
    > used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
    > a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
    > also. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Shannon

    Aioli is garlic mayonnaise; you don't have to say garlic aioli.

    Regards

    Louis Cohen

    "Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

    Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

  4. On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:54:08 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 14 Jan 2005 11:26:08 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
    >>newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
    >>I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
    >>Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
    >>sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
    >>(almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
    >>used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
    >>a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
    >>also. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>-Shannon

    >Try pounding some fresh chili (minus seeds) to a pulp, then mixing the
    >result with salt, pepper and an egg yolk, and proceeding with oil like
    >a standard mayo. Should work.

    That would work with a chili that doesn't need blistering, like a
    seranno or jalapeno. WIth some others you would want to blister and
    peel it first, as well as getting the seeds out.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .