Chili Aioli Recipe?

I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
(almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
also. Thanks in advance.

-Shannon

On 14 Jan 2005 11:26:08 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
>newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
>I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
>Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
>sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
>(almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
>used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
>a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
>also. Thanks in advance.
>
>-Shannon

Try pounding some fresh chili (minus seeds) to a pulp, then mixing the
result with salt, pepper and an egg yolk, and proceeding with oil like
a standard mayo. Should work.

Nathalie in Switzerland

[email protected] wrote:
> I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
> newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
> I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
> Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
> sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
> (almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
> used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
> a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
> also. Thanks in advance.
>
> -Shannon

Aioli is garlic mayonnaise; you don't have to say garlic aioli.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:54:08 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 14 Jan 2005 11:26:08 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I have seen a few recipes for garlic aioli and pasilla aioli on
>>newgroups and on the web, but I have never seen a chili aioli recipe.
>>I had some Ahi sampans (raw ahi in a fried wonton boat) at the Grand
>>Luxe Cafe in the Venetian in Las Vegas. The chili aioli and wasabi
>>sauce decorated the plate, the chili aioli was a reddish orange color
>>(almost the same color as chili oil). The only chili oil i have ever
>>used is La Yu, which is probably too hot for chili aioli. Anyone have
>>a good recipe for this? I want to use it for a bread dippin sauce
>>also. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>-Shannon

>Try pounding some fresh chili (minus seeds) to a pulp, then mixing the
>result with salt, pepper and an egg yolk, and proceeding with oil like
>a standard mayo. Should work.

That would work with a chili that doesn't need blistering, like a
seranno or jalapeno. WIth some others you would want to blister and
peel it first, as well as getting the seeds out.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .