General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

"Chili-Mac" from leftover Sloppy Joe Stuff

Started by jmcquown · · Last activity · 3 posts · 348 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 March 2005
Last activity
17 March 2005
Original author
jmcquown
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
348
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Totally uninspired, plain-jane using leftovers. I had a good pound of
    ground beef in sloppy joe sauce remaining in the fridge (your basic tomato
    with onion & green peppers sauce, not BBQ sauce). So I cooked 8 oz.
    macaroni and stirred it in with the beef and sauce. Added commercial chili
    powder. Heated it all up, stirring a couple of times. Tasted it, added
    more chili powder. When I spooned up a plate of it I sprinkled over some of
    that grated 4-cheese "Mexican" blend (monterey jack, cheddar, queso and
    asadaro).

    Quite tasty for homemade Hamburger Helpless! At least I know what was in it
    rather than using the boxed stuff. And now I have a totally different
    leftover. I'm still going to have to freeze at least half of this after
    having some for lunch today but that's okay by me. I like being able to
    pull a serving of something out of the freezer and nuke it when I'm not in
    the mood to do anything.

    Jill
    --
    I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

  2. Leftover leftovers, my favorite !
    I had a large london broil a while back. The second day it became beef
    with broccoli. I had a chunk left that became hot roast beef
    sandwiches. Top round and ground beef may not be expensive, but why
    waste it ? Three meals out of one cheap piece of meat. I also found I
    much prefer the top round to flank for the beef and broccoli.

    Dean G.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Leftover leftovers, my favorite !
    I had a large london broil a while back. The second day it became beef
    with broccoli. I had a chunk left that became hot roast beef
    sandwiches. Top round and ground beef may not be expensive, but why
    waste it ? Three meals out of one cheap piece of meat. I also found I
    much prefer the top round to flank for the beef and broccoli.

    Dean G.

    I have about 1/2 lb. of leftover, already marinated and grilled (okay,
    broiled) rare flank steak in the freezer for doing a stir fry with broccoli,
    bean sprouts and bamboo shoots with a sauce as yet to be determined. I love
    being able to use leftovers for other meals.

    For those who post here saying they don't know how to cook for one or two, I
    say cook for more than one or two and learn to use leftovers to create
    different meals so it doesn't become boring. Freeze individual meals that
    you can reheat in the microwave, oven or on the stove. Create your own
    Hamburger Helper as I did - it's not difficult. And you control the
    ingredients. This chili-mac was tasty, albeit not exotic, and will feed me
    3-4 more meals easily reheated in the microwave.

    I made a nice chuck roast last month; turned the sliced leftover meat into
    an open faced sandwich with gravy on thick garlic toast. Here's a photo and
    man, was it delicious! Fork tender!

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/74365720/251542658RnyDby

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.