Chili Pot Pie?

Jmcquown

Guest
I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it
was) Kroger brand 'Chili Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold
night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How hard could it be?
Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated
cheese (Jack, I guess) and another pie crust on the top. Gotta love
re-creating junk food :)

Jill

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand 'Chili
>Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How hard
>could it be? Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated cheese (Jack, I
>guess) and another pie crust on the top. Gotta love re-creating junk food :)

Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.

Tara

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
> I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand 'Chili
> Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How
> hard could it be? Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated
^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^

Huh?

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Tara wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand
>> 'Chili Pot Pie'.

> Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.
>
> Tara

Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!

Jill

> Tara wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand
> >> 'Chili Pot Pie'.
>
> > Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.
> >
> > Tara
>
> Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
>
> Jill

I've done something like that with left-over chile topped with cornmeal biscuit dough. Quite good.

Paula

On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!

This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
main point of contention was black olives. :)

nb

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
>
> This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
> main point of contention was black olives. :)
>
> nb

Totally different thing, Tamale pie. For one thing, they didn't sell them in little individual (like
chicken) pies at a grocery store. For another, they weren't made with cornmeal, although I do
appreciate the suggestion :) Third, tamale pie as I know it is prepared with chuck roast which is
cooked to the point of being shreddable... olives notwithstanding.

Chili pot pies were made with the same stuff as canned no-bean chili. Thanks for playing, though :)

Jill

Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to work
from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.

If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

occupant wrote:
> Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to
> work from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.
>
> If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

Tamale Pie

2 1/2 c. cold water
1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
2/2 tsp. chili powder Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick,
about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reserve 3/4 cup. Line sides and bottom of buttered 1-1/2
quart casserole with rest of mixture.

Filling:

1 c. chopped onion 1 c. chopped green pepper 1 lb. ground beef*
3.5 oz. can tomato sauce 8 oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained 1-2 cloves garlic, minced 1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt 2 to 3 tsp. chili powder dash of pepper 1 c. shredded "Mexican" blend cheeses

Cook onion and green pepper in a little hot oil until just tender. Add meat; brown lightly. Add next
8 ingredients, simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until thick. Add cheese, stir until melted. Spoon into
cornmeal 'crust'. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture over the top. Bake at 375F about 30 minutes.

*NOTE: I prefer to use shredded beef; this is an excellent use for leftover chuck roast.

Jill

"occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to
> work from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.
>
> If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

There are lots of tamale pie recipes around. Most not very good. Here is an assortment of goodish
ones. My own excellent one is at the bottom. Enjoy.

Charlie

TAMALE PIE #2

Recipe by: Scott Binder, rfc, 18APR98

2 lbs. ground beef 1 cup chopped onion 1 crushed garlic clove
1/2 tsp. salt
2/4 tsp. pepper 1 tbs. chili powder
3/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce 2 cups (16 oz.) canned cream style corn 2 cups (two 8 oz. cans) tomato
sauce 1 cup (4 oz. can) diced green chilies
4/2 cup (2.25 oz. can) drained sliced ripe olives 1 cup evaporated milk
5/2 cup water
6/4 cup butter
7/4 cup yellow cornmeal 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese 3 slightly beaten eggs

Brown beef with onions and garlic in a skillet. Drain off excess fat. Combine meat seasonings, corn,
tomato sauce, chilies and olives. Pour into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.

Combine evaporated milk, water, butter and cornmeal in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture is very thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and eggs
until blended. Spread cornmeal mixture evenly over meat mixture. Bake at 375F for 40 to 45 minutes
or until top is golden brown. Makes 8 servings.

PALESTINE HIGH TAMALE PIE

Source: Palestine High School, Palestine, __

1 lb. ground beef
8/2 cup chopped onion
9/3 cup chopped green pepper 1 lb. can tomatoes with juice
10/4 tsp. salt 2 tsp. chili powder 1 cup cornmeal
11.5 tsp. salt
12.5 tsp. chili powder
13.25 cups water 2 tsp. butter, melted

Brown beef slightly. Add onion and green pepper and cook until onion is tender but not browned.
Drain and add tomatoes, 3/4 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. chili powder and cook until thickened, about
15 minutes.

Mix cornmeal, 1.5 tsp. salt and 1.5 tsp. chili powder. Stir into water in a saucepan and bring to a
boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened.

Layer a baking dish with half the cornmeal mixture. Spoon meat mixture over the top and spread the
remaining cornmeal mixture over all. Brush with the melted butter and bake at 375F for 20 minutes or
until lightly browned. Makes 2 to 6 servings.

MICROWAVE CHEESEY TAMALE PIE

Source: unknown

1 lb. lean ground beef
14/4 cup chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced
15.5 oz. can red kidney beans, drained 8 oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained 8 oz. can diced
tomatoes, drained reserving juice 4 oz. can chopped black olives 1 tbs. chili powder
16/4 tsp. salt
17/4 tsp. ground cumin
18/8 tsp. pepper 1 egg
19/2 cup yellow cornmeal
20/2 cup shredded longhorn Cheddar paprika

Crumble beef into a 1.5 qt. microwave safe casserole with lid. Add onion and garlic. Cover and
microwave on high 2.5 minutes. Stir, then microwave on high 2.5 to 4 minutes longer, or until meat
is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat. Stir in kidney beans and corn. Drain tomatoes and save the
liquid. Add the tomatoes, olives and seasonings to beef mixture stirring well. Cover and microwave
on high 7 to 11 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, stirring every 4 minutes.

Beat egg in a medium mixing bowl until frothy. Add reserved tomato liquid. Briefly stir in cornmeal.
Pour this mixture over the hot meat mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese, then dust with paprika.
Microwave on high, uncovered, 2 to 5 minutes longer, or until cornmeal mixture is firm. Let stand 5
minutes before serving. 4 to 6 servings.

GERRIDEB'S TAMALE PIE

Source: unknown

1 large onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed 4 tbs. butter 2 lbs. lean ground beef 8 oz. can
tomato sauce 12 oz. can corn, drained and reserving liquid 1 tbs. chili powder salt pepper 4 oz. can
diced green chilies, drained 15 oz. can chili beans 16 oz. pkg. corn muffin mix 2 eggs
21/3 cup milk 1 tbs. dill 1 tbs. cumin

Brown onion and garlic in butter. Add beef, 1/2 lb at a time, breaking up with a fork, and sauté
until beef is browned. Return all meat to skillet and add tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, and salt
and pepper to taste. Simmer mixture 15 minutes.

Add green chilies and beans. If mixture is too dry, moisten with reserved corn liquid. Spoon mixture
into a 2 qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to mingle.

Remove chili mixture from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400F. Stir dry corn muffin mix with eggs,
milk and herbs. Pour over chili mixture, smoothing it out, and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to
350F and bake until top is nicely browned, about 30 minutes.

SPOON BREAD TAMALE BAKE

22.5 lbs. ground beef 1 cup chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced
23/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
24.5 cups canned diced tomatoes 12 oz. can corn 1 tsp. salt
25.5 tbs. chili powder
26/4 tsp. pepper
27/2 cup cornmeal 1 cup water 1 cup pitted, black ripe olives
28.5 cups milk 1 tsp. salt 2 tbs. butter
29/2 cup cornmeal 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Brown meat. Add onions, garlic and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onion is golden. Stir in
tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal mixed with the water.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add olives and Turn into 3 qt. casserole.

Heat milk, salt and butter and slowly stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and cook. stirring occasionally,
until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar and eggs. Spoon over the top of casserole and
bake at 350F for 40 minutes, covered. Serves 4 to 6.

THE BEST TAMALE PIE

Recipe By: Judy Gifford, posted by Charlie Gifford Notes by: Charlie and Barb S. Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 1:45 Categories: Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
30/4 pound ground beef 1 cup vegetable oil (see note) 15 ounces can pitted ripe olives drained 2
teaspoons salt 15 ounces can whole kernel corn drained 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz can) undrained
1 cup yellow corn meal 3 teaspoons chili powder (see note) 3 eggs beaten 1 cup milk

Combine the ground beef, oil (I prefer corn oil), olives, salt, corn, and tomatoes in a large
saucepan. Mix well then boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining
ingredients, one at a time (3 beaten eggs = one ingredient, OK?), mixing well after each. (Mix the
eggs in quickly and thoroughly so they don't start to cook.)

Pour into a 9x13" baking dish and bake, uncovered at 350 deg for one hour.

This is the best tamale pie you'll ever eat! <<<<< Notes: The oil measure is CORRECT and required
for the proper consistency and texture of the finished product so don't fiddledick around with it,
OK? I use Gebhart's chili powder and a little more than 3 teaspoons. It shouldn't be hot. Note
that there is no crust or topping in this dish. Everything cooks together and becomes like one
giant tamale.

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
>
> This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
> main point of contention was black olives. :)
>
> nb

Cal-Mex uses olives. Less common in Texas I think. Anyway, here is one that is called Tex-Mex yet
has olives and even more oddly isn't a pie.

Charlie

TEX-MEX TAMALE PIE

Recipe by: Priscilla Leal Source: San Diego Union, date unknown

24 tamales 4 cups chili con carne 2 white onions, chopped
1/3 cup sliced stuffed olives 6 large mushrooms, sliced
2/2 lb. Colby cheese, grated
3/4 lb. Monterey Jack, grated 2 cups sour cream 2 or more cups guacamole 2 pkgs. tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350F. Unwrap tamales and arrange them on an ovenproof platter. Heat chili and pour
over tamales. Sprinkle onions, olives, mushrooms, and cheese on top and bake until all is heated
through and cheeses are well melted. Surround tamales or garnish on the side with sour cream,
guacamole and chips.