Chili Pot Pie?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmcquown, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it
    was) Kroger brand 'Chili Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold
    night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How hard could it be?
    Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated
    cheese (Jack, I guess) and another pie crust on the top. Gotta love
    re-creating junk food :)

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand 'Chili
    >Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How hard
    >could it be? Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated cheese (Jack, I
    >guess) and another pie crust on the top. Gotta love re-creating junk food :)

    Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.

    Tara

  3. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand 'Chili
    > Pot Pie'. Sounds like a good thing for a cold night, so I'm setting out to re-create this. How
    > hard could it be? Prepared pie crust, couple of cans of chili without beans, some grated
    ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^

    Huh?

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Tara wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand
    >> 'Chili Pot Pie'.

    > Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.
    >
    > Tara

    Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!

    Jill

  5. PaulaGarlic

    PaulaGarlic Guest

    > Tara wrote:
    > > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:47:55 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I remember years and years ago, maybe 1979 or so, there was a (I think it was) Kroger brand
    > >> 'Chili Pot Pie'.
    >
    > > Another version of the chili pot pie -- pour cornbread batter over your chili and bake.
    > >
    > > Tara
    >
    > Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
    >
    > Jill

    I've done something like that with left-over chile topped with cornmeal biscuit dough. Quite good.

    Paula

  6. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!

    This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
    main point of contention was black olives. :)

    nb

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
    >
    > This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
    > main point of contention was black olives. :)
    >
    > nb

    Totally different thing, Tamale pie. For one thing, they didn't sell them in little individual (like
    chicken) pies at a grocery store. For another, they weren't made with cornmeal, although I do
    appreciate the suggestion :) Third, tamale pie as I know it is prepared with chuck roast which is
    cooked to the point of being shreddable... olives notwithstanding.

    Chili pot pies were made with the same stuff as canned no-bean chili. Thanks for playing, though :)

    Jill

  8. Occupant

    Occupant Guest

    Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to work
    from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.

    If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

  9. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    occupant wrote:
    > Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to
    > work from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.
    >
    > If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

    Tamale Pie

    2 1/2 c. cold water
    1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
    2/2 tsp. chili powder Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick,
    about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reserve 3/4 cup. Line sides and bottom of buttered 1-1/2
    quart casserole with rest of mixture.

    Filling:

    1 c. chopped onion 1 c. chopped green pepper 1 lb. ground beef*
    3.5 oz. can tomato sauce 8 oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained 1-2 cloves garlic, minced 1 Tbs. sugar
    1 tsp. salt 2 to 3 tsp. chili powder dash of pepper 1 c. shredded "Mexican" blend cheeses

    Cook onion and green pepper in a little hot oil until just tender. Add meat; brown lightly. Add next
    8 ingredients, simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until thick. Add cheese, stir until melted. Spoon into
    cornmeal 'crust'. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture over the top. Bake at 375F about 30 minutes.

    *NOTE: I prefer to use shredded beef; this is an excellent use for leftover chuck roast.

    Jill

  10. "occupant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bothe the Chili Pot Pie and the Tamale Pie sound delicious. Wish there was a specific recipe to
    > work from! In Canada Tamale Pie is unheard of and not available. Even Chilli Pot Pie is unknown.
    >
    > If you think I am hinting for general directions or recipe(s) be posted, you are right!

    There are lots of tamale pie recipes around. Most not very good. Here is an assortment of goodish
    ones. My own excellent one is at the bottom. Enjoy.

    Charlie

    TAMALE PIE #2

    Recipe by: Scott Binder, rfc, 18APR98

    2 lbs. ground beef 1 cup chopped onion 1 crushed garlic clove
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2/4 tsp. pepper 1 tbs. chili powder
    3/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce 2 cups (16 oz.) canned cream style corn 2 cups (two 8 oz. cans) tomato
    sauce 1 cup (4 oz. can) diced green chilies
    4/2 cup (2.25 oz. can) drained sliced ripe olives 1 cup evaporated milk
    5/2 cup water
    6/4 cup butter
    7/4 cup yellow cornmeal 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese 3 slightly beaten eggs

    Brown beef with onions and garlic in a skillet. Drain off excess fat. Combine meat seasonings, corn,
    tomato sauce, chilies and olives. Pour into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.

    Combine evaporated milk, water, butter and cornmeal in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring
    constantly, until mixture is very thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and eggs
    until blended. Spread cornmeal mixture evenly over meat mixture. Bake at 375F for 40 to 45 minutes
    or until top is golden brown. Makes 8 servings.

    PALESTINE HIGH TAMALE PIE

    Source: Palestine High School, Palestine, __

    1 lb. ground beef
    8/2 cup chopped onion
    9/3 cup chopped green pepper 1 lb. can tomatoes with juice
    10/4 tsp. salt 2 tsp. chili powder 1 cup cornmeal
    11.5 tsp. salt
    12.5 tsp. chili powder
    13.25 cups water 2 tsp. butter, melted

    Brown beef slightly. Add onion and green pepper and cook until onion is tender but not browned.
    Drain and add tomatoes, 3/4 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. chili powder and cook until thickened, about
    15 minutes.

    Mix cornmeal, 1.5 tsp. salt and 1.5 tsp. chili powder. Stir into water in a saucepan and bring to a
    boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened.

    Layer a baking dish with half the cornmeal mixture. Spoon meat mixture over the top and spread the
    remaining cornmeal mixture over all. Brush with the melted butter and bake at 375F for 20 minutes or
    until lightly browned. Makes 2 to 6 servings.

    MICROWAVE CHEESEY TAMALE PIE

    Source: unknown

    1 lb. lean ground beef
    14/4 cup chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced
    15.5 oz. can red kidney beans, drained 8 oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained 8 oz. can diced
    tomatoes, drained reserving juice 4 oz. can chopped black olives 1 tbs. chili powder
    16/4 tsp. salt
    17/4 tsp. ground cumin
    18/8 tsp. pepper 1 egg
    19/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    20/2 cup shredded longhorn Cheddar paprika

    Crumble beef into a 1.5 qt. microwave safe casserole with lid. Add onion and garlic. Cover and
    microwave on high 2.5 minutes. Stir, then microwave on high 2.5 to 4 minutes longer, or until meat
    is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat. Stir in kidney beans and corn. Drain tomatoes and save the
    liquid. Add the tomatoes, olives and seasonings to beef mixture stirring well. Cover and microwave
    on high 7 to 11 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, stirring every 4 minutes.

    Beat egg in a medium mixing bowl until frothy. Add reserved tomato liquid. Briefly stir in cornmeal.
    Pour this mixture over the hot meat mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese, then dust with paprika.
    Microwave on high, uncovered, 2 to 5 minutes longer, or until cornmeal mixture is firm. Let stand 5
    minutes before serving. 4 to 6 servings.

    GERRIDEB'S TAMALE PIE

    Source: unknown

    1 large onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed 4 tbs. butter 2 lbs. lean ground beef 8 oz. can
    tomato sauce 12 oz. can corn, drained and reserving liquid 1 tbs. chili powder salt pepper 4 oz. can
    diced green chilies, drained 15 oz. can chili beans 16 oz. pkg. corn muffin mix 2 eggs
    21/3 cup milk 1 tbs. dill 1 tbs. cumin

    Brown onion and garlic in butter. Add beef, 1/2 lb at a time, breaking up with a fork, and sauté
    until beef is browned. Return all meat to skillet and add tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, and salt
    and pepper to taste. Simmer mixture 15 minutes.

    Add green chilies and beans. If mixture is too dry, moisten with reserved corn liquid. Spoon mixture
    into a 2 qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to mingle.

    Remove chili mixture from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400F. Stir dry corn muffin mix with eggs,
    milk and herbs. Pour over chili mixture, smoothing it out, and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to
    350F and bake until top is nicely browned, about 30 minutes.

    SPOON BREAD TAMALE BAKE

    22.5 lbs. ground beef 1 cup chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced
    23/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    24.5 cups canned diced tomatoes 12 oz. can corn 1 tsp. salt
    25.5 tbs. chili powder
    26/4 tsp. pepper
    27/2 cup cornmeal 1 cup water 1 cup pitted, black ripe olives
    28.5 cups milk 1 tsp. salt 2 tbs. butter
    29/2 cup cornmeal 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese 2 eggs, lightly beaten

    Brown meat. Add onions, garlic and green peppers and cook, stirring, until onion is golden. Stir in
    tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal mixed with the water.
    Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add olives and Turn into 3 qt. casserole.

    Heat milk, salt and butter and slowly stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal and cook. stirring occasionally,
    until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar and eggs. Spoon over the top of casserole and
    bake at 350F for 40 minutes, covered. Serves 4 to 6.

    THE BEST TAMALE PIE

    Recipe By: Judy Gifford, posted by Charlie Gifford Notes by: Charlie and Barb S. Serving Size: 6
    Preparation Time: 1:45 Categories: Entrees

    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
    30/4 pound ground beef 1 cup vegetable oil (see note) 15 ounces can pitted ripe olives drained 2
    teaspoons salt 15 ounces can whole kernel corn drained 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz can) undrained
    1 cup yellow corn meal 3 teaspoons chili powder (see note) 3 eggs beaten 1 cup milk

    Combine the ground beef, oil (I prefer corn oil), olives, salt, corn, and tomatoes in a large
    saucepan. Mix well then boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining
    ingredients, one at a time (3 beaten eggs = one ingredient, OK?), mixing well after each. (Mix the
    eggs in quickly and thoroughly so they don't start to cook.)

    Pour into a 9x13" baking dish and bake, uncovered at 350 deg for one hour.

    This is the best tamale pie you'll ever eat! <<<<< Notes: The oil measure is CORRECT and required
    for the proper consistency and texture of the finished product so don't fiddledick around with it,
    OK? I use Gebhart's chili powder and a little more than 3 teaspoons. It shouldn't be hot. Note
    that there is no crust or topping in this dish. Everything cooks together and becomes like one
    giant tamale.

  11. "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > On 2004-02-29, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Darn, I should have thought of that! Thanks, Tara!
    >
    > This has been discussed at length, here, only under another name ...tamale pie. If I recall, the
    > main point of contention was black olives. :)
    >
    > nb

    Cal-Mex uses olives. Less common in Texas I think. Anyway, here is one that is called Tex-Mex yet
    has olives and even more oddly isn't a pie.

    Charlie

    TEX-MEX TAMALE PIE

    Recipe by: Priscilla Leal Source: San Diego Union, date unknown

    24 tamales 4 cups chili con carne 2 white onions, chopped
    1/3 cup sliced stuffed olives 6 large mushrooms, sliced
    2/2 lb. Colby cheese, grated
    3/4 lb. Monterey Jack, grated 2 cups sour cream 2 or more cups guacamole 2 pkgs. tortilla chips

    Heat oven to 350F. Unwrap tamales and arrange them on an ovenproof platter. Heat chili and pour
    over tamales. Sprinkle onions, olives, mushrooms, and cheese on top and bake until all is heated
    through and cheeses are well melted. Surround tamales or garnish on the side with sour cream,
    guacamole and chips.